Really struggling to hit my Calories each day... can I drink beer?

Options
I've always been pretty skinny, mostly due to the fact that I just don't eat past the feeling of being full. I did have a poor diet for a few years and had some junk food weight (15ish pounds), which I easily dropped in a few months after switching to a 90% clean diet, cardio and tracking about 2000 Calories a day. (I'm 6'1 174lbs now).

I've started lifting, dropped most of the cardio, and increased my calories to about 3000 a day. Between working out, and a pretty active job, I feel like I'm having to eat almost twice as much as I used to. I've added shakes, doubled my eggs in the morning, added snacks of nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, etc. But I'm still continuing to end up about 300-400 calories short each day. I try to eat another snack, however it's always a struggle, to the point were I feel bloated and uncomfortable.

That being said is there any huge argument against 2 or 3 beers a day as the final calories, especial since macro wise I'm typically short on carbs anyways?

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Following as I'd love to see the answers! I'm not sure about it. I have a glass of wine or 2 most nights and sometimes it's that which gets me up to my calorie goal. Probably not a great idea on a regular basis- there are better ways to get more carbs. Alcohol won't add anything nutritionally so you may find you lack energy.But I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea to me. When I was bulking (5'3 130lbs woman), I worked up to 2600 calories a day. Ice cream helped add those extra 200-300 calories.

PL coach laughs at me when I get excited to bulk and ice cream. Her advice is "real" food first...and then I can ice cream to add that extra bit.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you're hitting your minimums on protiens & fats...

you can eat/drink anything you like. Carbs isn't a macro you have to hit, though many people will have more energy for activity when they are not restricted.

A problem some people will encounter with drinking is they won't stop and go over the calorie budget.

I eat a ton of ice cream, sugar pastries, and alcohol has been known to drip from my palette yet I lose fat/weight when I desire easily because I can adhere to my caloric plan in whole.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Why TF not. If you met your minimums for protein, fat, fiber, eat/drink whatever the hell you want. Lots of people do extra cardio just so they can fit those beers in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Some of my best rides are on mornings after I've had a few beers the night before...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    tlckxwzq3fwf.jpg
  • zt27
    zt27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great feedback gang, cheers!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I've filled the gaps with wine, ice cream, donuts, etc. I would say it is fine as long as the alcohol isn't impairing your ability to sleep or your workouts the next day.

I go with Eric Helms' views on the matter :
    "A good rule of thumb is to not go over 15% of your total calories for the day as alcohol" and "if you're gonna drink, drink like you have a 5am leg day the next morning" :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    zt27 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    "if you're gonna drink, drink like you have a 5am leg day the next morning"

So drink enough that you're still buzzed in the morning, got it! :tongue:

:D Hey whatever gets you through it right !
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'm a little jealous of this problem. I'd say choose delicious, high-calorie dark beers from your local brewers. You can potentially get nutrients such as magnesium, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, biotin, and B vitamins from an unfiltered, serious beer. Cheers!

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I've always been pretty skinny, mostly due to the fact that I just don't eat past the feeling of being full. I did have a poor diet for a few years and had some junk food weight (15ish pounds), which I easily dropped in a few months after switching to a 90% clean diet, cardio and tracking about 2000 Calories a day. (I'm 6'1 174lbs now).

I've started lifting, dropped most of the cardio, and increased my calories to about 3000 a day. Between working out, and a pretty active job, I feel like I'm having to eat almost twice as much as I used to. I've added shakes, doubled my eggs in the morning, added snacks of nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, etc. But I'm still continuing to end up about 300-400 calories short each day. I try to eat another snack, however it's always a struggle, to the point were I feel bloated and uncomfortable.

That being said is there any huge argument against 2 or 3 beers a day as the final calories, especial since macro wise I'm typically short on carbs anyways?

why not just add in some calorie dense foods like ice cream, oreos, full fat milk, etc?

eating "clean" is counter productive to getting into a surplus, and the whole clean eating mantra is bull...

Need to make sure to look at these items in the context of total diet. All are high in saturated fats.
  • PALMINADALESSANDRO
    PALMINADALESSANDRO Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You need GAINS...protein shakes with Whey and Isolates for MEN........
  • PALMINADALESSANDRO
    PALMINADALESSANDRO Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    eat Pizza also
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My thought is if you have extra calories and want something like beer or fast food or cookies or whatever, don't go for cheap stuff. Get something you are truly going to enjoy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

why not just add in some calorie dense foods like ice cream, oreos, full fat milk, etc?

eating "clean" is counter productive to getting into a surplus, and the whole clean eating mantra is bull...

Need to make sure to look at these items in the context of total diet. All are high in saturated fats.

That would only be an issue if you aren't getting enough PUFA/MUFAs. But you can monitor your bloodwork to see if SFA have an impact on metabolic markers.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

really? Do I really need to put the "hit your macros micros, first" disclaimer in EVERY TIME???????????
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

really? Do I really need to put the "hit your macros micros, first" disclaimer in EVERY TIME???????????

The items mentioned are high in heart unhealthy saturated fats. One doesn't want to hit and pass their macro targets with an excess of these items.

How about things like nuts, avocado, etc that are high in good fats, as well as calories?