Really struggling to hit my Calories each day... can I drink beer?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    zt27 wrote: »
    I've always been pretty skinny, mostly due to the fact that I just don't eat past the feeling of being full. I did have a poor diet for a few years and had some junk food weight (15ish pounds), which I easily dropped in a few months after switching to a 90% clean diet, cardio and tracking about 2000 Calories a day. (I'm 6'1 174lbs now).

I've started lifting, dropped most of the cardio, and increased my calories to about 3000 a day. Between working out, and a pretty active job, I feel like I'm having to eat almost twice as much as I used to. I've added shakes, doubled my eggs in the morning, added snacks of nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, etc. But I'm still continuing to end up about 300-400 calories short each day. I try to eat another snack, however it's always a struggle, to the point were I feel bloated and uncomfortable.

That being said is there any huge argument against 2 or 3 beers a day as the final calories, especial since macro wise I'm typically short on carbs anyways?

why not just add in some calorie dense foods like ice cream, oreos, full fat milk, etc?

eating "clean" is counter productive to getting into a surplus, and the whole clean eating mantra is bull...

Need to make sure to look at these items in the context of total diet. All are high in saturated fats.

really? Do I really need to put the "hit your macros micros, first" disclaimer in EVERY TIME???????????

The items mentioned are high in heart unhealthy saturated fats. One doesn't want to hit and pass their macro targets with an excess of these items.

How about things like nuts, avocado, etc that are high in good fats, as well as calories?

it was a sampling of calorie dense foods and I doubt that a couple hundred calories of Oreos is going to have any long term damage...

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I've always been pretty skinny, mostly due to the fact that I just don't eat past the feeling of being full. I did have a poor diet for a few years and had some junk food weight (15ish pounds), which I easily dropped in a few months after switching to a 90% clean diet, cardio and tracking about 2000 Calories a day. (I'm 6'1 174lbs now).

I've started lifting, dropped most of the cardio, and increased my calories to about 3000 a day. Between working out, and a pretty active job, I feel like I'm having to eat almost twice as much as I used to. I've added shakes, doubled my eggs in the morning, added snacks of nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, etc. But I'm still continuing to end up about 300-400 calories short each day. I try to eat another snack, however it's always a struggle, to the point were I feel bloated and uncomfortable.

That being said is there any huge argument against 2 or 3 beers a day as the final calories, especial since macro wise I'm typically short on carbs anyways?

why not just add in some calorie dense foods like ice cream, oreos, full fat milk, etc?

eating "clean" is counter productive to getting into a surplus, and the whole clean eating mantra is bull...

Need to make sure to look at these items in the context of total diet. All are high in saturated fats.

That would only be an issue if you aren't getting enough PUFA/MUFAs. But you can monitor your bloodwork to see if SFA have an impact on metabolic markers.

Given the high number of people in the US population with high cholesterol, it would be prudent to suggest calorie dense foods that are not high in saturated fats.
  • ndj1979
    Options

That would only be an issue if you aren't getting enough PUFA/MUFAs. But you can monitor your bloodwork to see if SFA have an impact on metabolic markers.

Given the high number of people in the US population with high cholesterol, it would be prudent to suggest calorie dense foods that are not high in saturated fats.

I highly doubt those people are only having four or five oreos a couple times a week ..

I think are taking yourself too seriously...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Man wants to gain and asks if he can have beer.

I giggle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

Given the fact that the OP is lean and exercises, they are not a representation of the general populous. It's also why I recommended monitoring through bloodwork.

It also dont' mean got eat a diet in nothing but ice cream. It's get whole foods and fill in the gaps with treats where you can... essentially 90/10 or 80/20 rule
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I miss the days of my nightly Moscow mule (I have not developed a taste for beer but I will try once I can go back to maintenance). Enjoy!
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How serious are you about lifting? Alcohol does have an effect on muscle gain - I've seen research showing as much as a 20% reduction depending when and how much is used. Filling in the "gap" with 2-3 beers a day, especially if it's high content 8-11% tasty craft beers might not be such a great idea unless the potential cost doesn't bother you.
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

WOW!!!! Whatever you do, don't listen to this guy!
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    How serious are you about lifting? Alcohol does have an effect on muscle gain - I've seen research showing as much as a 20% reduction depending when and how much is used. Filling in the "gap" with 2-3 beers a day, especially if it's high content 8-11% tasty craft beers might not be such a great idea unless the potential cost doesn't bother you.

This.

If you're serious about muscle gain, alcohol will have in impact in terms of your testosterone and protein synthesis (which in turn effect muscle building) for days following.

I wouldn't drink alcohol solely to meet a caloric need. If you're wanting to drink a lightly a couple times a week, or moderately once a week go for it, it probably will not have a huge impact on your progress in the long term, but it will have some negative impact.

Like above poster said, it really depends on how seriously you're taking this process.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Why? If one is getting thr majority of theit diet from nutrient dense sources, what is thr issue with adding those foods.

Just look at the advice from people like Dr. Layne Norton, Dr. Brad Schoenfeld, Alan Aragon, etc.... some of the tops in this industry and utilize flexible dieting practices.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    FOR SURE!, drink whatever you want!, I am here to maintain now. and I drink all weekend.i have no problem losing, just go work it off!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I think it makes a great pre-workout. I have one beer and head in 30- 45 min later and I have a great lift. No lie.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I've filled the gaps with wine, ice cream, donuts, etc. I would say it is fine as long as the alcohol isn't impairing your ability to sleep or your workouts the next day.

I go with Eric Helms' views on the matter :
    "A good rule of thumb is to not go over 15% of your total calories for the day as alcohol" and "if you're gonna drink, drink like you have a 5am leg day the next morning" :)

Great quote. I will always remember this!!
  • Packerjohn
    Options

really? Do I really need to put the "hit your macros micros, first" disclaimer in EVERY TIME???????????

The items mentioned are high in heart unhealthy saturated fats. One doesn't want to hit and pass their macro targets with an excess of these items.

How about things like nuts, avocado, etc that are high in good fats, as well as calories?

it was a sampling of calorie dense foods and I doubt that a couple hundred calories of Oreos is going to have any long term damage...

Your "sampling" only consisted of high calorie nutrient poor foods that are high in saturated fats.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Given the fact that the OP is lean and exercises, they are not a representation of the general populous. It's also why I recommended monitoring through bloodwork.

It also dont' mean got eat a diet in nothing but ice cream. It's get whole foods and fill in the gaps with treats where you can... essentially 90/10 or 80/20 rule

Lean individuals can have issues with high cholesterol if they are eating too many saturated fats. I agree with the 90/10, 80/20 premise, but this still needs to give consideration to excess "bad" fats in the diet.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I think it makes a great pre-workout. I have one beer and head in 30- 45 min later and I have a great lift. No lie.

I use to have a few during and kill it ;).
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2017
    Options

Lean individuals can have issues with high cholesterol if they are eating too many saturated fats. I agree with the 90/10, 80/20 premise, but this still needs to give consideration to excess "bad" fats in the diet.

That is why you have to consider the entire diet and not just components. Yes, excessive SFA and added sugars are bad, especially if they are crowding more important nutrients. But saying don't eat that because it's SFA are bad is a bit short sighted IMO. What is more important is looking at the amount of fiber (especially fruits/veggies/whole grains), M/PUFA, and protein one consumes.

ETA: I will add personally, I would rather add ice cream than alcohol. But I also am not a huge drinker (can count on one hand how many times a year I drink). But I do frequently have ice cream/treats and higher amounts of SFA. Of which has yet to have any negative impact on my metabolic markers. And I get blood work annually or semiannually
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

Why? If one is getting thr majority of theit diet from nutrient dense sources, what is thr issue with adding those foods.

Just look at the advice from people like Dr. Layne Norton, Dr. Brad Schoenfeld, Alan Aragon, etc.... some of the tops in this industry and utilize flexible dieting practices.

I'm just saying you can't just start eating a bunch of junk and expect good things to happen. Just doesn't work. Unless you're Michael Phelps burning 10,000 cal a day. Which I'm pretty sure this guy isn't.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Your "sampling" only consisted of high calorie nutrient poor foods that are high in saturated fats.

with the operating assumption that one was already meeting micros and macros..

again, do we really need a disclosure for every single post on here?

I never once said eat oreo's and disregard nutrition and macros...

• psuLemon
    Options

I'm just saying you can't just start eating a bunch of junk and expect good things to happen. Just doesn't work. Unless you're Michael Phelps burning 10,000 cal a day. Which I'm pretty sure this guy isn't.

I think it's the context that people are misunderstanding. We all regularly promote getting a diet largely consisting of whole foods. But it's also possible to incorporate treats. No one would advocate a diet full of crap.

Although, I will say, many body builders to experience PR sessions after coming off cuts and binging on those same exact bad foods.