Swim exercises

Options
Hello fellow MFP's I want to burn more calories and heard swimming is a good way. However... I can't swim :( are there any exercises I can do in the water without actually swimming? Like some in the shallow end?

Thanks, Nell

Replies

• Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to burn more calories?
  • NelliR86
    NelliR86 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just to lose weight. When I work out the most I burn is like 60 cal so I don't think that's enough for one day so something like swimming can help me burn more in a shorter amount of time
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You burn very few calories swimming actually. Probably better off running or cycling to be honest. I swim 2,200 yards on average and only burn 400 calories or so. You can run in waist deep water. I see people doing that all the time but don't know what the calorie burn is like.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    NelliR86 wrote: »
    Hello fellow MFP's I want to burn more calories and heard swimming is a good way. However... I can't swim :( are there any exercises I can do in the water without actually swimming? Like some in the shallow end?

Thanks, Nell
    @NelliR86
    Aqua workouts are great! Swimming is an excellent way to get in shape, really strengthens the muscles. Have you considered taking lessons at the Y or a place near you? Are you planning on using a pool at home or do you belong to a gym with a pool? A place such as the Y will have lots of equipment to use for workouts. Walking in the water is a good starting place in the shallow, if classes are available I highly suggest joining one or two. Water is easy on the joints and it doesn't take much and you get some hard work in.

I love to run in the water, it's one of my favorite things I can let my mind go and run for miles.. it feels so freeing. I've never had an interest in running outdoors but love doing it in the pool.

Share your pool situation and I'll see what I can dig up on the Web in regards to workouts you can do on your own if you don't have a Y pool available for classes. :)
  • biejen
    biejen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey Nell! I think swimming is a great way to get active. Personally, I never feel as good (exhausted good) from running or biking as I do after a swim. It's low-impact, which is a relief to a lot of people, but it's surprisingly hard work!

I've taught adult swim lessons before, and there's great news about them...
    -they exist!
    -your instructor or other people at the pool aren't going to judge you for not knowing how to swim (which may or may not be a concern)
    -after learning the basics, most problems in form fix themselves because these generally make swimming harder. As you become more comfortable in water, quirks tend to work themselves out, and you can progress on your own.

Here's a really great resource for getting started on your own if you can't find a friend to teach you or if lessons are too pricy: http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html

Additionally, here is some general information about calorie burning while swimming: http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/how-many-calories-does-swimming-burn

Truthfully, I don't know much about shallow water exercises, but if you have access to a pool with a section around 4.5 or 5 feet (where you can choose to stand or not), treading water is a great way to tire yourself out. Tread for as long as you can, and try mini challenges like keeping your hands out of the water for 10 seconds, back in for 10 seconds, hands above your head for 10 seconds, etc. You can look up YouTube videos for form, but even if you do it wrong or just use flutter kicks to tread, you'll still be tiring yourself out and burning calories because it's dang hard!
  • Marshmella
    Marshmella Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That was so nice of you to post the calories lost by swimming I always wondered but never really bothered to look it up
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To get a best estimate of calorie burn if you do start to enjoy and do laps.

http://www.swimmingcalculator.com/swim_calories_calculator.php

• NelliR86
    Options

@NelliR86
    Aqua workouts are great! Swimming is an excellent way to get in shape, really strengthens the muscles. Have you considered taking lessons at the Y or a place near you? Are you planning on using a pool at home or do you belong to a gym with a pool? A place such as the Y will have lots of equipment to use for workouts. Walking in the water is a good starting place in the shallow, if classes are available I highly suggest joining one or two. Water is easy on the joints and it doesn't take much and you get some hard work in.

I love to run in the water, it's one of my favorite things I can let my mind go and run for miles.. it feels so freeing. I've never had an interest in running outdoors but love doing it in the pool.

Share your pool situation and I'll see what I can dig up on the Web in regards to workouts you can do on your own if you don't have a Y pool available for classes. :) [/quote]

Wow you are awesome!! I was thinking of starting at home (apartment pool) with maybe treading in the water but I never thought about going to the Y, if there is one nearby. Thank you for all the info!!
  • NelliR86
    Options
    JessM822 wrote: »
    You burn very few calories swimming actually. Probably better off running or cycling to be honest. I swim 2,200 yards on average and only burn 400 calories or so. You can run in waist deep water. I see people doing that all the time but don't know what the calorie burn is like.

400 calories is a lot more than the 65 I burn just working out at home. For a start 400 is way over the amount I need.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    JessM822 wrote: »

ditto above.

I run, cycle and swim (training for Sprint Triathlon) ... and swimming, although it is a good total body workout, burns the fewest calories per hour of the 3.
  • Nussbary
    Nussbary Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Thanks, Nell

Beyond the calorie conversation... if you do want to become more comfortable in the water: Kick, kick kick! your legs are the biggest muscles, and getting a kickboard will help you with your comfort level. This will also help you get stronger with treading water and then eventually your roll and stroke. but first try kicking the entire length, then 2 lengths, then after a while progress to sprinting a portion of your lengths.

Remember this will work your abs too! the further out in front of you you hold the board, the more of your core you will engage and therefore strengthen.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend searching your area for a swim instructor - check gyms, YMCA, local schools (mine do adult swim lessons)

but yeah, swimming is a relatively low calorie burn workout, but a whole body one - I'm always so hungry after swimming, you would think I had burned 1000cal when its more like 200 (something to do with your body trying to equalize temp with water temp which expends more energy)
  • NelliR86
    Options

Beyond the calorie conversation... if you do want to become more comfortable in the water: Kick, kick kick! your legs are the biggest muscles, and getting a kickboard will help you with your comfort level. This will also help you get stronger with treading water and then eventually your roll and stroke. but first try kicking the entire length, then 2 lengths, then after a while progress to sprinting a portion of your lengths.

Remember this will work your abs too! the further out in front of you you hold the board, the more of your core you will engage and therefore strengthen. [/quote]

Oh cool! Thanks for the info. Yeah I would love to be more comfortable in the water and working out my legs and abs would be awesome. So I will definitely get a kick board so I can start practicing.
  • NelliR86
    Options
    I'd recommend searching your area for a swim instructor - check gyms, YMCA, local schools (mine do adult swim lessons)

but yeah, swimming is a relatively low calorie burn workout, but a whole body one - I'm always so hungry after swimming, you would think I had burned 1000cal when its more like 200 (something to do with your body trying to equalize temp with water temp which expends more energy)

Yeah as I mentioned before, with my at home workouts I'm only burning like 65 calories after 30 mins so 200 calories is a big step up for me, plus it's a whole body workout which is great. So I will start checking local places.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Just to lose weight. When I work out the most I burn is like 60 cal so I don't think that's enough for one day so something like swimming can help me burn more in a shorter amount of time
    So, the reason I asked why is because for weight loss eating habits trump exercise.

Don't get me wrong, exercise is awesome for your health! I think you should find an activity that you enjoy doing. However, don't do it to "lose weight faster ".

Set your MFP weekly weight loss goal. Eat to hit your calorie target. Track accurately and precisely. Lose weight.

Directly regarding water exercise, I agree that local Y's are great resources in the states.
  • DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There are water aerobics classes at the Y or other gyms with pools that you do in the deep end, and you wear a flotation belt kind of thing to keep you afloat. I want to try one, because they look so fun!
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Yeah as I mentioned before, with my at home workouts I'm only burning like 65 calories after 30 mins so 200 calories is a big step up for me, plus it's a whole body workout which is great. So I will start checking local places.

could you do anything at home to up the calorie burn? (I'm a huge fan of fitness blender via you tube) - something else to consider
  • gillidovew
    gillidovew Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There are water aerobics classes at the Y or other gyms with pools that you do in the deep end, and you wear a flotation belt kind of thing to keep you afloat. I want to try one, because they look so fun!
    Definitely look for one of these. As they are run by an

instructor they tell you what to do, some of the exercises have light weights and the variety of exercise will give an all over workout and keep it from feeling monotonous, often to music. I swim but often see these classes going on in the pool and everyone always looks to be really enjoying themselves
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    bonus of the water aerobics classes (if you are a triathlete), they sometimes do a good impersonation of an open water swim with current :)
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,843 Member
    Options
    I used to do the Aqua-aerobics class when I belonged to my local Y and I loved them. Good workout.