Swim exercises

Options
2»

Replies

• NelliR86
    NelliR86 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

could you do anything at home to up the calorie burn? (I'm a huge fan of fitness blender via you tube) - something else to consider[/quote]

Yeah probably, swimming seemed like a new adventure that I would like to try. I am trying to get away from regular workouts, so like aerobics maybe.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Swimming was my gateway to more intense workouts. I am not a strong swimmer but I did learn how to do a couple of survival strokes. If you can float, do the survival backstroke and you can get a lot of mileage out of it. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXpgGezjvZA

If you pull up your arms and knees as much as you can (think like making water angels instead of snow angels), it's like doing jumping jacks in the water.

That said there are other things you can do in the pool. Use the side of the pool to do supine bicycle and other kinds of kicks, push yourself up and out of the water, do splits in the water, lunges, twisting jumps in the water... lots of things you can do.

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend searching your area for a swim instructor - check gyms, YMCA, local schools (mine do adult swim lessons)

but yeah, swimming is a relatively low calorie burn workout, but a whole body one - I'm always so hungry after swimming, you would think I had burned 1000cal when its more like 200 (something to do with your body trying to equalize temp with water temp which expends more energy)

I am so hungry after swimming too, it's the only exercise that makes me want to eat all the food.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I love swimming and it's by far the best cardio workout I do. If you can not swim you can get lessons. Most pools I have been to offer them and it is not odd to see fit adults learning. Swimming for me is one of the few things I think everyone should learn if not physically challenged to do so.

@Alidecker Hell ya about eating after swimming.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've been swimming 22 yrs, along with acqua-gym. If you love the water. You love the water. There are people at my pool who are regulars and wouldn't miss a workout. Swimming has advantages over other exercises besides the calorie burn, and like anything else, it depends on how much you push yourself. I do yoga and gym too, plus lots of walking. I'm 63, and not triathelete material, but I do OK and I'm consistent. Do what you enjoy doing, because it makes all the difference in fitness. I second looking into classes.