Older women

Options
I am almost 55. I have been on the weight loss yo-yo train for about 2 decades. I was a skinny kid and teenager. Joined the Air Force at age 21. However at age 25 I had my first baby. Since then I have gained weight - lost weight - gained more weight - lost weight and the cycle continued. Most the time I lost weight because of a competition and I am highly competitive. I claimed my prize and then just gained the weight back. After much research and of course trial and error I have decided to not compete - not actually use one program but gain insights from the programs I have used. I am counting calories and doing a fluctuating deficit of calories, meaning I have a deficit for 6 days and a maintenance day for 1 during the week. Some weeks will be 5 and 2. I feel that is better for a women's body. I am also weight training 3 times per week. I am two weeks in, lost 10 pounds. Anyone else relate?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 as well. I've been off and on the diet bandwagon since puberty. I am finally getting serious though, after a bit of a health scare. I do know, from past experience, that I do lose weight when I keep the diary and am serious about staying at a TDEE7-3500 calories/week limit. I'm a foodie and cooking is my hobby. I am not giving that up. One doesn't need to eat quantity to enjoy quality.

I am enjoying the slow diminishing of the grocery bill. I didn't get fat eating junk so it's not that we stopped buying anything. It's just that it takes longer to go through that tasty hunk of smoked cheese when you are eating it an ounce at a time instead of inhaling it.

I weigh twice as much as I ought so have a long way to go but this time I'm here for the duration. I'm too old to mess around any more.
  • Wildflowers70
    Wildflowers70 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just read your post and I totally relate. I was also a fit kid, teen and young adult. Although I have never been a mother, somewhere in my late thirties I began to struggle. A long ACL/MCL knee adventure was the icing on my cake. It sounds like you have a great plan and I am on this journey along side ya. My strategy is that I am eating at maintenance for close to the weight I wish to be. However, this week I have been doing a more drastic calorie ceiling, but am going back to my initial strategy after this week. I might periodically cycle another cut but not for at least another 12 weeks or so. We'll see. Feel free to friend me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan! I like the addition of a maintenance day in your schedule. That way you get a little break without undoing your progress. Good luck! B)
  • eveadams721
    eveadams721 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So back on the roller coster with days good, days bad... CRAP.. I get mad at myself when I ruin a good thing.. Try to bring it down to 1300 calories - 1500 calories - than I just to 2000 calories... argh... I have BAD habits, NOT that I'm hungry JUST old habits DIE hARD.. I love it when I'm slim, trim and in shape... I feel SOO great and then I go and BLOW it EVERYTIME! I am a glutton for punishment I suppose...
  • Judy2CA
    Judy2CA Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can identify with everything you have all written. I am 67 and was thin until I was 47 and went back till teaching. I developed a lot of bad eating habits including late night eating while I was working on school stuff. I have been to WW twice and lost 50 lbs both times and got to my desired weight but once I reached goal I went back to my old ways. I have gained back 30 lbs and am determined to lose it and not regain. I walk an hour plus every day and do some core exercises at home. I went to the gym with my husband 3/week but had 2 surgeries that prevented that for awhile. I'm ready to go back.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I relate to the yo-yo thing but I have never been thin. I wasn't a heavy child, but always on the higher side of spectrum. The smallest I have ever been since 6th grade is a size 12, however, that is where I feel comfortable and pretty. I too go through cycles but I am more careful now and don't let things get ahead of me. You are all very inspirational!!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I read the Maintainers because my goal is to be one! I'm 53 and didn't seriously start my healthier lifestyle until I was 45. I then lost 30 pounds over the course of a year or so and have been yo-yoing with 10-15 pounds. In 2014 I had my thyroid removed and still did ok with weight (just 5-10 pound yo-yo). Since Dec 2016 my doc has been lowering my thyroid med due to blood tests. Then came the holidays/birthdays/excuses and I have spent the last six months wearing my BIG girl panties. I am determined to lose my middle 'fluff' that has appeared and get back on track and make it to my goal! Then I can officially join this group :)
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    So back on the roller coster with days good, days bad... CRAP.. I get mad at myself when I ruin a good thing.. Try to bring it down to 1300 calories - 1500 calories - than I just to 2000 calories... argh... I have BAD habits, NOT that I'm hungry JUST old habits DIE hARD.. I love it when I'm slim, trim and in shape... I feel SOO great and then I go and BLOW it EVERYTIME! I am a glutton for punishment I suppose...

It's not just you! Amazingly, summer has been harder for me than the school year. More unscheduled events that revolve around food. I'm back trying to lose some extra pounds that I have gained in the last three months. I do great.. then undo it. I think I've tried to restrict too much. This week, I'm going back to how I lost it originally, not constantly restricting or skipping meals. Wish me luck!

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me! I'm 41 but have also been yoyo'ing for 2 decades. :/ Really trying to figure out how to maintain long-term this time around. (And yes, things like DietBet would also work well to motivate me but I tended to bounce back after. The six-month Transformer DietBet worked better for me than the 4-week Kickstarters though, fwiw. More long-haul mindset.)
  • RoseBlossom2017
    RoseBlossom2017 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Jen777Hen wrote: »
    I am almost 55. I have been on the weight loss yo-yo train for about 2 decades. I was a skinny kid and teenager. Joined the Air Force at age 21. However at age 25 I had my first baby. Since then I have gained weight - lost weight - gained more weight - lost weight and the cycle continued. Most the time I lost weight because of a competition and I am highly competitive. I claimed my prize and then just gained the weight back. After much research and of course trial and error I have decided to not compete - not actually use one program but gain insights from the programs I have used. I am counting calories and doing a fluctuating deficit of calories, meaning I have a deficit for 6 days and a maintenance day for 1 during the week. Some weeks will be 5 and 2. I feel that is better for a women's body. I am also weight training 3 times per week. I am two weeks in, lost 10 pounds. Anyone else relate?

• RoseBlossom2017
    RoseBlossom2017 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can totally relate! I am 66 years young with 3 grown children and 4 Granddaughters! New to the community and looking for friends and like minded believers that we are not too old to get healthy and loose weight! I was skinny most of my life until the 50 age time when I made friends with people who loved burritos, etc The Mexican food loved me too and stuck right on me!
    I am trying hard and failing hard, but I do keep trying again! Be encouraged because wisdom comes with age and wanting to be healthy and strong is my desire!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, already postmenopausal. I find that the only way not to gain back is to count calories during maintenance just as strictly as you did during loss, and not cut back on the exercise at all when you hit your goal weight. If you have a cheat day and go over calories then you'll have to have days when you eat for loss to offset it and/or exercise more. Otherwise it slowly piles up.