Older women

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Unfortunately for me the difference between loss and maintenance is a bare 200 calories because I'm short, so it's basically a permanent diet.

This is true for everyone, regardless of height. Remember, it's a lifestyle, not a "diet". As you said, you have to continue tracking calories closely and don't back off the exercise. We need the exercise for fitness & health as we get older. At 62, I'm now in the best shape of my life and hope to continue improving. 100 calories per day = 10 lbs per year.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Keeping my fingers crossed, but I made the change to eating breakfast ( even just a little) and it seems easier than it's been to stay on track. Im not starving at supper time or after when I've been struggling the last week or so. I know everyone is different, and we have to find our own way, but I feel much more in control again, and I'm losing, too. So glad to feel confident again about this!
  • stk_pkr
    stk_pkr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be an encouragement to you. Let me know how I can support you. Add me as a friend.
  • swim777
    Options
    Thanks!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'll be 49 in September and been on the ups and downs of weight gain and loss over the last 7 years. I was at my ideal weight at 40 and got pregnant with my last child then and ever since I have been unable to maintain my ideal weight or anywhere near it actually. Add on pre-menopausal symptoms, life stress and kids to raise and keep up with and it's easy to get off track - or it has been for me.
  • swim777
    Options
    I started this journey at 55. I was very active (played sports, swam, and ran) as a teenager and in my 20's but after baby number 3 I just lost my way. Some bumps in the road, and putting everyone else's needs before my own, and somehow I blossomed to 232 pounds!

Fast forward a couple of decades. The kids are gone. Financial stresses are gone. I finally figured out that hey, if I don't do something about my weight I'm going to be just another heart disease/type 2/high cholesterol statistic. I've lost 90 pounds in just over three years and feel great. Yes, it took awhile, but life gets in the way. And I'm perfectly ok with that. This is for life; it's not just a temporary thing.

Two books that really helped me were "What Makes Olga Run", about a woman who didn't start sports till she was in her 50's and went on to compete in the international seniors games till she was in her 90's! And "Thinner This Year". I actually read TTY twice and found it more applicable once I got closer to my goal weight. In that book the author recommends 60 minutes of exercise x 6 days per week. I started that in January and it got the last few pounds off.

I work fulltime and in order to get this done I basically turned my health into a part time job. I've read a ton of books. Log everything I eat. And move six days a week. I volunteered for everything my kids were involved in when they were growing up but I have put volunteering on hold till I retire. I will do little things, but no big commitments. Right now I need to focus on my health.

Even though this is a very personal and individual journey, I found that connecting with the community on mfp was very important for me. I still log everything I eat and I still read different forums on here every day. I can't tell you enough how vital MFP has been to my weight loss. Its been an amazing experience for me.

It sounds as if you really have figured out what works. Congratulations!
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Great job! Welcome.