Input on foot cramps, need help!

Options
Savyna
Savyna Posts: 789 Member
I've been working with the barbell for the past 6 weeks and as the weight has progressively gotten heavier I've gotten some debilitating foot cramps at the end of the workout session.

I thought it might be that I need to eat something before working out (I generally workout fasted), so I'd have some oats, tea (for the caffeine) and a banana. That helped for a bit, but then I had to stop drinking caffeine because of some kidney stone issues. I continued having something to eat before working out as well as ensuring I hydrate properly before, during and after the workout.

Unfortunately, foot cramps keep coming back right towards the end of the workout. Namely when I want to do a deadhang for pull ups (either when I jump up to the bar, or like today when I just stepped off the platform).
This is my workout journal in case that might help.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159075431&p=1511307641&viewfull=1#post1511307641

I warm up before working out and stretch out afterwards but I can't figure out what to do to help with the cramping or what is causing them to happen. Thanks if anyone is able to shed some light and shed some light on how to get them to stop.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes...try propel, Gatorade, or Powerade
  • Savyna
    Options
    Electrolytes...try propel, Gatorade, or Powerade

I can't get past the taste of gatorade (tastes weird and salty), and so I was looking for solid food sources I could use instead.

Are muscle cramps like this mainly because of electrolyte deficiencies?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    They make electrolyte capsules. The easiest way to find out if your problem is an electrolyte imbalance is to try some. Or eat something salty or a pickle and stay hydrated. I used to get cramps when I started swimming. Salty pretzels helped, and just your body getting used to the exercise. Maybe a banana too?
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I also got foot cramps from electrolyte imbalances after working out. I used a powdered electrolyte mixture from GNC and it worked, but if you are picky about the taste the capsules are a better choice.
  • aribel95
    aribel95 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I got a lot of random cramps after I started working out, try taking magnesium supplements.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    no votes for active-release work on the calves and shin muscles? i just put aside a weekend to do this,

maybe i just want other people to suffer as well :tongue: but honestly, once i quit putting it off and got down to it it made a huge difference.
  • Savyna
    Options
    no votes for active-release work on the calves and shin muscles? i just put aside a weekend to do this,

maybe i just want other people to suffer as well :tongue: but honestly, once i quit putting it off and got down to it it made a huge difference.

Thank you I will try this. =)
  • Savyna
    Options
    They make electrolyte capsules. The easiest way to find out if your problem is an electrolyte imbalance is to try some. Or eat something salty or a pickle and stay hydrated. I used to get cramps when I started swimming. Salty pretzels helped, and just your body getting used to the exercise. Maybe a banana too?

Thank you! I didn't realize there were capsules of them. I did mention that I was eating bananas before working out but I'll put some salt on my oatmeal to see if that helps in the interim while waiting on the capsules to arrive. Thanks again for your suggestions. =)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Savyna wrote: »
    Are muscle cramps like this mainly because of electrolyte deficiencies?

Sometimes. If an electrolyte supplement doesn't help within a couple days, try some foot strengthening exercises from Youtube daily. Or just walk barefoot or in "barefoot shoes".

Post an update next week. :+1:
  • Colectable93
    Colectable93 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, I started taking a magnesium, zync and potassium supplement and I also take a power zero( does not have that salty taste), and drink a little before my workout and during. No cramps since.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Magnesium and pickles.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My sisters tri-coach said to get some of those salt packs from McDonald's. She said it worked very well.
  • HRHPM
    HRHPM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My podiatrist recommended I drink tonic water daily (for the quinine) for my foot cramp problem. When I run out or forget, the foot cramps return.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    stretch them calves
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I use topical magnesium on all muscle cramps
  • The_Movie_Chair
    The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Apple Juice and Water is as good as Gatorade; it's actually healthier and cheaper. Drink enough water and when the cramps get really bad, drink a shot of vinegar mixed with water (apple cider vinegar). It's an old remedy, surprisingly it helps.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, foot cramps keep coming back right towards the end of the workout. Namely when I want to do a deadhang for pull ups (either when I jump up to the bar, or like today when I just stepped off the platform).

So you work out for a while, then get camps when you take the weight off your feet?

I think this is a technique and training issue. You need to work on calf and foot strength.

Basically, lift your weight with one foot at a time on a step or block. Can also be done on a squat machine.

Now, when you jump up to do pull-ups, don't point your toes. Concentrate on relaxing your feet completely. Do a calf stretch before jumping up.

BTW: these sort of cramps happen all the time when swimming. I know they hurt and, once started, it's hard to get them to stop.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Coconut water
  • Savyna
    Options

So you work out for a while, then get camps when you take the weight off your feet?

I think this is a technique and training issue. You need to work on calf and foot strength.

Basically, lift your weight with one foot at a time on a step or block. Can also be done on a squat machine.

Now, when you jump up to do pull-ups, don't point your toes. Concentrate on relaxing your feet completely. Do a calf stretch before jumping up.

BTW: these sort of cramps happen all the time when swimming. I know they hurt and, once started, it's hard to get them to stop.

Thank you for this response. I didn't think foot cramps could be caused because of calf and foot strength. I did some calf, foot and ankle stretches just now and I feel good, however I did notice on some of the rotations I could feel the muscles that usually cramp up in my feet are tight.
  • Savyna
    Options
    Thanks to all responses with your supplementation suggestions and stretching suggestions. I will update next week on how my feet were after my time with the barbell.