Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Could also be shoes.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Just a little more info: foot and calf cramps are very common in swimming because you point your feet. Once they get started, they won't easily stop. You have to stop swimming, grab your foot, and stretch for a whole minute, sometimes several times. Good luck!
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Could also be shoes.

I lift in converses since I heard that a hard soled shoe was better for weightlifting than a running shoe.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    no votes for active-release work on the calves and shin muscles? i just put aside a weekend to do this,

maybe i just want other people to suffer as well :tongue: but honestly, once i quit putting it off and got down to it it made a huge difference.

I'm there. I used it *begrudgingly* after seeing how much deep calf and foot stretching and release are recommended for Plantar Fasciitis. Never imagined I could ditch the insoles and compression socks. No more flare ups in months!

I even use Gua Sha kits to mimick the effect of Graston Therapy without the expensive tools. Whatever helps! :D
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    no votes for active-release work on the calves and shin muscles? i just put aside a weekend to do this,

maybe i just want other people to suffer as well :tongue: but honestly, once i quit putting it off and got down to it it made a huge difference.

I started doing these last week, hoping to avoid recurring achilles pain. No foot pain since...staying hopeful.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I even use Gua Sha kits to mimick the effect of Graston Therapy without the expensive tools. Whatever helps! :D

off to google!!

eta: *glurk* no thanks.
  • Savyna
    Options
    Today was gym day. I did the calf and foot mobility stretches I found yesterday, along with my usual warm up. I also bought a different flavor of gatorade (glacial cherry) and some coconut water and mixed it together. I sipped on that during the workout and made sure to pace my water intake to make sure I wasn't somehow diluting the electrolytes. Between sets I'd also do some foot stretches to make sure nothing was getting tight. I finish my session and begin walking away from the power rack and then my left foot decides to start seizing up. I stop and do my ankle rolls and it goes away. ._. During my walk to the supermarket and home after the gym, my feet felt tired and also on the edge of wanting to cramp up. I finished that bottle of gatorade and coconut water, I feel that should mean it's not an electrolyte issue (I ate extra salt last night at dinner hoping that would help). Maybe it is the shoes. Last Saturday I lifted (in the grass at my bf's house) barefooted and had no issues.

Next gym session I will try lifting with just socks on and see how that goes. Will continue with the foot and calf stretches and foam rolling. Hopefully soon I can figure out the issue so I can be free of these cramps.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Savyna wrote: »
    Today was gym day. I did the calf and foot mobility stretches I found yesterday, along with my usual warm up. I also bought a different flavor of gatorade (glacial cherry) and some coconut water and mixed it together. I sipped on that during the workout and made sure to pace my water intake to make sure I wasn't somehow diluting the electrolytes. Between sets I'd also do some foot stretches to make sure nothing was getting tight. I finish my session and begin walking away from the power rack and then my left foot decides to start seizing up. I stop and do my ankle rolls and it goes away. ._. During my walk to the supermarket and home after the gym, my feet felt tired and also on the edge of wanting to cramp up. I finished that bottle of gatorade and coconut water, I feel that should mean it's not an electrolyte issue (I ate extra salt last night at dinner hoping that would help). Maybe it is the shoes. Last Saturday I lifted (in the grass at my bf's house) barefooted and had no issues.

Next gym session I will try lifting with just socks on and see how that goes. Will continue with the foot and calf stretches and foam rolling. Hopefully soon I can figure out the issue so I can be free of these cramps.

The Chuck's may not be giving you enough space to spread your toes. A half size up or wider may be all you need.

Some folks do socks or Vibrams instead of chuck's.
  • Savyna
    Options
    I got a new pair of chucks (real ones this time, not a knock off). They did well with my workout yesterday. I've kept up with my foot and calf stretches/mobility work and haven't had an issue with cramping since last month thankfully. Thanks again everyone for the input.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Savyna wrote: »
    I got a new pair of chucks (real ones this time, not a knock off). They did well with my workout yesterday. I've kept up with my foot and calf stretches/mobility work and haven't had an issue with cramping since last month thankfully. Thanks again everyone for the input.

That's great! I'm glad it's feeling better/working for you!