Dumb question time! TOO much muscle? Body fat? What's the deal!?

Options
I have had an incredibly hard time coming up with how to phrase this question. Like, stupid hard.

I was 427lbs. At the moment I'm 317. I've been around 317 for the past seven months because I stopped keeping track of my calories, but I still worked out hard 3 days a week, so it was just a wash.

For the past few months I've taken back control on my calories and I'm hitting the weights harder (4 times a week now) plus around 20 min of cardio at the end of each session.

Four weeks ago I weighed 319. Now I weigh 317. However, I've dropped roughly 6 pounds of body fat, 2% of BF, and have gained roughly 3 pounds of muscle (including the water needed to feed them) while on a calorie deficit. (Except for a few days here and there.)

So, I'm 113 pounds of muscle and 81 pounds of fat I need to lose.

My dumb question is, I think, is what would happen if I keep going like this? I'm really not aiming to be 300 pounds, or 280. My goal is 250, for now.

See? I don't even know what question I want to ask.

Should I stop going up in weights on my lifts and just find a level to maintain them at while I burn fat? (Right now I add 5-10 pounds per week to my lifting, if I can.)

I apologize if this has made anyone's head explode.

Including some pictures from my body scans the past month in case anything I said is super confusing.

lkisjz7vq77o.jpg
1st Scan

2opap1vpatw1.jpg
3rd Scan

miaxjclparpm.jpg
Latest.

Replies

• Jaegur
    Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, it was one of the scanners at complete nutrition. I keep seeing different views on if it's accurate or not, but at the moment it's the best thing I have (and can afford. I've heard Dexa's are expensive.)

Though, technically I've been in a deficit for most of this last year, and went from barely chest pressing 50lbs to benching 175 (Not a lot, but it's my personal best at 4 reps currently.) And from not being able to press 30lbs overhead on the machine to 10 reps at 100 on the barbel today. Still, not impressive, but on the machine I was at 150lbs for 8 reps before I stopped using them. So... I know everyone says you can't build muscle on a deficit, but something's going on.

Pictures for scale! (The white shirt is from... November, maybe. The tanktop is from today. Closest thing I could find in relatively the same 'flex.' I have some shirtless pics, but no one wants to see that *kitten*. Of my back at least.)

7v53rhwo679w.jpg

2osorco7hd1c.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you want an honest assessment post some front flexed and unflexed and side pics and we can probably peg it pretty close...

ETA - from above pics you are probably 30-35% body fat
  • Jaegur
    Options
    Ugh... you don't want to see my front and side. It's hideous. I carry most of my weight in my mid section. But, in the effort to do this *kitten*, I'll post some. First time ever, so you've been warned. These are from last month.

84zw4od00sje.jpg
    8g6rqj17ubor.jpg
    4l8s3t00ma33.jpg
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Strength gains aren't to be confused with muscle gains. Everyone can gain strength in a deficit. And you haven't been in a deficit because you haven't been losing weight. So in that respect you may have made some small muscle gains but again, at this point, it's majoring in the minors.

Just keep plugging on, get the BF down and reassess.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You're still largely in the "newbie gains" realm/range for strength training, and so there's absolutely no reason to slow down your lifting.

In fact, Depending on the program you're using, you may be able to pick up the pace.

If you're not on a structured progressive program, you can either, Find one. Or post what you're currently doing and let some of the wiser heads here give you some pointers.

Although I can tell you going in, that most are going to recommend you go with a basic program either Starting strength(Rippetoe) or Stronglifts 5x5
  • Jaegur
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I actually just started a program and am on the 3rd week of it. Before that I used a personal trainer, but that gets expensive.

This is a 4 day a week program, different days separated by shading.

eyrqgudm9upx.jpg
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Not related to your question as the folks who have given you answers have given the good advice i would. Holy F*** Man! Amazing job w/ the weight loss. Regardless of what you do, keep with it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Jaegur wrote: »
    Ugh... you don't want to see my front and side. It's hideous. I carry most of my weight in my mid section. But, in the effort to do this *kitten*, I'll post some. First time ever, so you've been warned. These are from last month.

84zw4od00sje.jpg
    8g6rqj17ubor.jpg
    4l8s3t00ma33.jpg

I would say 35-40% ..don't sweat it. Keep eating in a deficit and following your lifting regimen, you will get to where you want to be, just takes time...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

84zw4od00sje.jpg
    8g6rqj17ubor.jpg
    4l8s3t00ma33.jpg

I would say 35-40% ..don't sweat it. Keep eating in a deficit and following your lifting regimen, you will get to where you want to be, just takes time...

You are at least 35%. Keep consistent and you'll get closer to where you want to be!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Strength gains aren't to be confused with muscle gains. Everyone can gain strength in a deficit. And you haven't been in a deficit because you haven't been losing weight. So in that respect you may have made some small muscle gains but again, at this point, it's majoring in the minors.

Just keep plugging on, get the BF down and reassess.

Vintage says it all here. Keep your focus and keep plugging. As ndj1979 said, the questions of your post title are largely immaterial till you are at sub 15% BF. I just want to 2nd the "amazing job"! Keep going!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I actually just started a program and am on the 3rd week of it. Before that I used a personal trainer, but that gets expensive.

picture edited out by TR0berts

That's a decent plan. And it looks like you're doing a pretty good job of adjusting, if necessary, the weights.

I'd say keep on doing this.

Just out of curiosity - why aren't you doing the calves? That's not a complaint/criticism, just a question. I have a feeling I might know the answer, but I don't want to just assume anything.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me but never liked all the gadgets that test body fat and weight and what ever else they test. I like to lift and eat healthy cause It makes me feel good. I do test like: how fast can I run that mile! at 50 years of age can I still squat 300 with proper form and no injury. the best test of all, can I move the belt notch a little tighter.
    The pics are a good thing they will give you something to look back on. Suit up and show up everyday and you will improve.
  • Jaegur
    edited July 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

That's a decent plan. And it looks like you're doing a pretty good job of adjusting, if necessary, the weights.

Just out of curiosity - why aren't you doing the calves? That's not a complaint/criticism, just a question. I have a feeling I might know the answer, but I don't want to just assume anything.

Thanks, guys! I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see how it all shakes off, lol.

And @TR0berts my calves actually look pretty good. Carrying around 400 plus pounds for years and all, lol. They have good shape, veins popping and what not, but I have Sesamoiditis in my left foot and doing seated calf raises shoots an excruciating amount of pain up my leg, so I've been doing body weight calf raises off a block to substitute. The gym my leg days happen at don't have the other calf machine (calf presses?).

I've thought about doing them at my home gym, but I forget to. (I drive a truck four days a week so I split my off time between two different towns)

ltewx7wousf6.jpg
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Thanks, guys! I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see how it all shakes off, lol.

And @TR0berts my calves actually look pretty good. Carrying around 400 plus pounds for years and all, lol. They have good shape, veins popping and what not, but I have Sesamoiditis in my left foot and doing seated calf raises shoots an excruciating amount of pain up my leg, so I've been doing body weight calf raises off a block to substitute. The gym my leg days happen at don't have the other calf machine (calf presses?).

I've thought about doing them at my home gym, but I forget to. (I drive a truck four days a week so I split my off time between two different towns)

Pic Redacted by stanmann

It's been a while, but I seem to recall that You can do calf raises on the hack sled.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Pic Redacted by stanmann

It's been a while, but I seem to recall that You can do calf raises on the hack sled.

OP could also do dumbbell calf raises...
  • Jaegur
    Options
    Yep! Right now I'm taking it easy on them since anything I do that directly involves putting all my weight on the ball of my foot makes it painful to walk later on.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

... Carrying around 400 plus pounds for years and all, lol. They have good shape, veins popping and what not, but I have Sesamoiditis in my left foot and doing seated calf raises shoots an excruciating amount of pain up my leg, so I've been doing body weight calf raises off a block to substitute. The gym my leg days happen at don't have the other calf machine (calf presses?).

The first part was more-or-less my thoughts. And pain? Yeah - that's a good reason to not do them. And realistically, calves aren't really a major muscle group and get some work (mostly stability-wise) with other leg work. So, doing them or not is usually just a personal choice.