Dumb question time! TOO much muscle? Body fat? What's the deal!?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jaegur
    Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Jaegur wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I actually just started a program and am on the 3rd week of it. Before that I used a personal trainer, but that gets expensive.

This is a 4 day a week program, different days separated by shading.

picture edited out by TR0berts

That's a decent plan. And it looks like you're doing a pretty good job of adjusting, if necessary, the weights.

I'd say keep on doing this.

Just out of curiosity - why aren't you doing the calves? That's not a complaint/criticism, just a question. I have a feeling I might know the answer, but I don't want to just assume anything.

Thanks, guys! I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see how it all shakes off, lol.

... Carrying around 400 plus pounds for years and all, lol. They have good shape, veins popping and what not, but I have Sesamoiditis in my left foot and doing seated calf raises shoots an excruciating amount of pain up my leg, so I've been doing body weight calf raises off a block to substitute. The gym my leg days happen at don't have the other calf machine (calf presses?).

The first part was more-or-less my thoughts. And pain? Yeah - that's a good reason to not do them. And realistically, calves aren't really a major muscle group and get some work (mostly stability-wise) with other leg work. So, doing them or not is usually just a personal choice.

Yeah, a lot of programs I looked at before said things like, "Do calves and abs at the end, if you want to."
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald talks about a limit on Fat Free Mass. It is different or everyone but the gifted typically are able to reach a FFMI of 25 and the genetic freaks might reach 26. No matter how much you train, how much your diet is on point, you have a limit on the amount of muscle you can gain naturally. You do not have to worry about having too much muscle to keep your weight up if you are able to loose all that body fat. Plus the more muscle you have the higher your resting metabolic rate will be since it takes a lot of energy to maintain muscle mass.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Though, technically I've been in a deficit for most of this last year, and went from barely chest pressing 50lbs to benching 175 (Not a lot, but it's my personal best at 4 reps currently.) And from not being able to press 30lbs overhead on the machine to 10 reps at 100 on the barbel today. Still, not impressive, but on the machine I was at 150lbs for 8 reps before I stopped using them.

@Jaegur stop minimizing your accomplishments by saying those lifts are not impressive. You might not be breaking world records, but your progress is something to be proud of. I know many guys can outlift me too, but I'm proud of my personal records. And absolutely continue adding weight every week. Adding muscle will increase your fat burning rate. Congrats on your progress, keep going brutha!
  • Jaegur
    Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all :) I'm glad there are people around who are smarter than I am, lol.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all :) I'm glad there are people around who are smarter than I am, lol.

Hang around, lurk, you'll learn a lot and can be one of the smart kids ;)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    Lyle McDonald talks about a limit on Fat Free Mass. It is different or everyone but the gifted typically are able to reach a FFMI of 25 and the genetic freaks might reach 26. No matter how much you train, how much your diet is on point, you have a limit on the amount of muscle you can gain naturally. You do not have to worry about having too much muscle to keep your weight up if you are able to loose all that body fat. Plus the more muscle you have the higher your resting metabolic rate will be since it takes a lot of energy to maintain muscle mass.

The interesting thing with this is that it excludes a population that is actually much closer to a morbidly obese person than the studied bodybuilders are: elite level (and even amateur to a lesser extent) sumo wrestlers. Those guys have shown FFMI levels well in the upper 30s and in extreme cases, I believe that I saw one in the lower 40s. In fact, it's been posited that an FFMI of 30 is the bare minimum one should be at, for them to be expected to do even remotely well.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »

The interesting thing with this is that it excludes a population that is actually much closer to a morbidly obese person than the studied bodybuilders are: elite level (and even amateur to a lesser extent) sumo wrestlers. Those guys have shown FFMI levels well in the upper 30s and in extreme cases, I believe that I saw one in the lower 40s. In fact, it's been posited that an FFMI of 30 is the bare minimum one should be at, for them to be expected to do even remotely well.

Yeah, I forgot about that.