Losing weight and muscle

Options
Bitter sweet bc I like the look but definitely not as strong how do I get the strength back without the fat lol

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Losing strength and losing muscle aren't necessarily the same thing. Things you can do to try to hang onto strength are to slow down the rate of loss or add a higher calorie day the day before you lift. When you reach your goal weight you'll increase calories and most of the strength should come back.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Lift some heavy *kitten* weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • last1youlove
    last1youlove Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you ..I would add you but I don't know how to yet tbh
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Things you can do to try to hang onto strength are to slow down the rate of loss or add a higher calorie day the day before you lift.

Is this legit? Add calories a day prior, same day or next day for recovery? Or should one not bother about this at all if one is cutting?

• usmcmp
    Options
    zulashish wrote: »
    Things you can do to try to hang onto strength are to slow down the rate of loss or add a higher calorie day the day before you lift.

Is this legit? Add calories a day prior, same day or next day for recovery? Or should one not bother about this at all if one is cutting?

If you eat more food the day before lifting you have more energy to lift with. It has nothing to do with keeping muscle better, it's purely about availability energy (ATP) to do the work in the gym.
  • last1youlove
    Options
    I'm learning the hard way just went premium to set meal goals. Maybe this will help thank you all for your thoughts ☺️
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Yes it is.

I program 500 calories more the day before my long volume day. In turn my intensity day keeps progressing upwards later on in the week.

I literally squatted a 3rm with a weight I never had on my back all when eating in a deficit.
  • last1youlove
    Options

If you eat more food the day before lifting you have more energy to lift with. It has nothing to do with keeping muscle better, it's purely about availability energy (ATP) to do the work in the gym.
    Does that mean I should eat a lot every day because I train 6 days a week and tbh all I want to do rn is cut until I look like Bruce Lee
  • usmcmp
    Options
    tommy7421 wrote: »

Does that mean I should eat a lot every day because I train 6 days a week and tbh all I want to do rn is cut until I look like Bruce Lee

What program do you follow that has you lifting 6 days per week?
  • last1youlove
    Options
    Legs mon ,chest tues ,back and arm weds, shoulders thurs, legs Fri, light full body Saturday minus legs bc hit them twice already but Saturday is calisthenics pull ups, dips, abs Sunday off
  • last1youlove
    edited August 2017
    Options
    And I also do hitt twice a day 6 days a week immediately after my am workout and right before bedtime
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So you made up your program rather than following something built by a professional that's going to be well balanced?

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if your HIIT was costing you strength.
  • last1youlove
    Options
    I ripped af I think I'm good hun
  • last1youlove
    Options
    And I'm about 160 and I can bench 315 10 times so my program works
  • usmcmp
    edited August 2017
    Options
    tommy7421 wrote: »
    And I'm about 160 and I can bench 315 10 times so my program works

:D Sure, so you compete at the Arnold and hold records then?
  • last1youlove
    Options
    And tbh I never was a follower lol
  • last1youlove
    Options
    So bc I'm not following someone else's program means I don't understand how strength and size gains work lol
  • last1youlove
    Options
    So bc I can bench 315 ten times at 160 you find that hard to believe? Lmao than you probably should follow me bc like I said I lost strength dropping Nearly 60 pounds