Food for weightloss

Options
Fluv3
Fluv3 Posts: 2 Member
Hey all.Im looking to loose weight by just eating healthier.Im looking to loose 50 pounds.What foods or meals has helped you?Im a female,not sure if that matters.Thank you. :)

Replies

• JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The most important factor in losing weight is eating less calories than you burn. It really does not matter what you eat as long as you are in a caloric deficit. There are a lot of options, look at foods you like to eat and start there. In order to have long-term success whatever you are going to do now to lose the 50lbs you need to be able to do long-term otherwise you will have difficulty keeping it off. Google "Flexible Dieting" and this will give you a good template as to how to structure your nutrition for the long-term. Goodluck!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Foods with fiber were beneficial for me. When I told my doctor I was dieting she suggested eating high fiber for satiety. I took that suggestion and it did help a lot with keeping hunger at bay.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is not so much about the food as it is about the AMOUNT of food. Eat less food than you were eating.
    Get a scale for about 24 dollars at Walmart or Target and weigh and log your food so you can keep track of your calories.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have never had trouble losing weigh, I've done that repeatedly :#

The problem was always keeping it off.

The real problem was that the problem started during weight loss. I would aim to eat healthy, demonize certain foods and nutrients, feel deprived without noticing it (because I was so immersed in the weight loss), and secretly long for all the foods I "shouldn't" have.

This time I did it differently. I stopped depriving myself, I just aimed for better nutrition, more enjoyment of everyday meals, and decided I'm not going to bring home foods I have trouble moderating any more. But I will eat those foods on occasion, out of the house.

This time something else happened. I lost my weight (50 pounds here too), AND kept them off - 33 months now, and pretty effortless too.

This is amazing...it's as if you have lived my life!!! This is the simplest, most effective advice.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'd suggest you honestly log everything you eat for a week and see how much you're actually consuming. Take a good look at where the high calorie entries are and either reduce or cut them out for awhile. Some people do well just cutting back on their favorite (higher calorie) foods for awhile, while others have to eliminate them or they may trigger a binge. You probably already know what your food triggers are, but it's good to see it.

Get a food scale! I was surprised at how much I was overestimating (guessing) portions. When I'm seriously in weight loss mode I weigh everything. It's quite eye opening.

ETA: you had asked about what kinds of foods for weight loss and I forgot to post that. I eat a lot of eggs, veggies and a little fruit. Whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa and a little rice. Legumes of all types and small amounts of lean proteins - chicken breast, fish, pork chops, steak. The success key for me is having a highly plant based diet with lots of veggies, smaller amounts of carbs and lean proteins. I still do enjoy wine and dark chocolate even during weight loss, but I do avoid chips and ice cream because I'd usually rather spend my calories on something else.

Good luck to you!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I eat the same for weight loss as I do for maintenance...lots of whole foods and cooking from scratch...lots of veg and some fruit...potatoes and sweet potatoes and oats and legumes and lentils...lots of fish, chicken, lean cuts of beef and pork...pizza every week or two...grilling burgers or brats on the weekend...beer on the patio.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    sipy31tun78m.png

2000 Calories is a general Caloric intake for women.
    Google have websites which have calculators that allow you to upload your specific information which will give you clearer Caloric goal.

My maths equation was a generalised number, allowing you to see how a caloric deficit could be achieved to lose weight.

My advice however, was given from my medical training.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are no special foods for weight loss. Try logging the food you eat now and see how many calories you are eating in a day.

I learned to be very careful measuring my fatty foods. They add up very quickly.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You can eat the healthiest diet ever but if you're not at a calorie deficit you won't lose weight. There's no magic weight loss foods. Eat a well-balanced diet (including "treats" or items you don't qualify as healthy if you want) at a calorie deficit and you'll be good to go.

This.
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    pddftnvazp04.jpg

Pasta and cheese hahahaha

50 down
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sipy31tun78m.png

2000 Calories is a general Caloric intake for women.
    Google have websites which have calculators that allow you to upload your specific information which will give you clearer Caloric goal.

My maths equation was a generalised number, allowing you to see how a caloric deficit could be achieved to lose weight.

My advice however, was given from my medical training.

The website we're on gives specific calorie goals based on current stats and goals. Giving a generic goal isn't necessary.

If your advice is from your medical training, why attach the screenshot? Surely "Healthline" isn't how you're getting your medical education.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Perhaps criticism of others isn't the best way to be supportive on this forum.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've found the most success by not demonizing or eliminating foods. I try to keep certain foods I have trouble moderating myself with out of the house, and will get them on special occasions or in single servings. It ultimately comes down to how much you're eating, not exactly what you're eating. Eating lower calorie foods (like snacking on veggies before a meal) can help fill you up on a limited amount of calories and feel less hungry. But you can bet your butt I'm still eating pizza and tacos!
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There are many possible diets for weight loss. That is why so many recommend the general rule of caloric deficit. However, I don't see a benefit to decoupling the idea of eating a healthy diet and losing weight. If you eat healthier, your body can function more efficiently overall and you can ensure you are getting the nutrients you need while reducing the amount of calories you consume. In addition, we tend to have poorer judgement about the amount of calories we consume with unhealthy foods. Lowering calories and eating healthier go hand in hand. This isn't the same as saying you can never eat pizza, but trying to recognize how that pizza is going to affect you so you can moderate better.

Some things I do:

-avoid foods with deceptively high fat/sugar unless a special occasion, such as store-bought baked goods. One cupcake or donut can have enough calories for an entire meal, and won't be satisfying for more than 5 minutes
    -eat a variety of food groups (grain, meat, dairy, veggie, fruit) in a meal makes me feel more satisfied and full. I tend to eat more if I eat only one thing, like a bunch of cereal (although, some people like this, and eat one thing that is very low calories so they can eat a lot).
    -if I get a craving, I have a flavorful herbal tea (no sugar added) instead
    -herbs and spices that ease digestion and inflammation, like ginger, can also help me feel better overall when I eat

What foods do you feel good about after eating? Not in a satisfying a craving and then feeling sick afterward way, but foods that make you feel lighter and more energetic when you have them. For me, it is strawberries, grilled fish, homemade tomato sauce, beets with beet greens, hummus, and salad with some specific toppings like cherry tomatoes and blue cheese to name a few. What foods can you focus on that you like and are also known to be healthy, or you can tweak to make them more healthy? Start there.