Food for weightloss

Options
2»

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    While there are no magic foods. There are some really low calorie healthy dishes that can help

My go to when I am having a hard time with calories: chicken and vegetable soup, homemade.

Ingredients:
    Chicken breast (I cut them up into approximately 4oz pieces so I can accurately log them - or at least mostly accurate I figure if one is 3.8oz and another 4.2 they will average out for the week)
    Onions
    Garlic
    Carrots
    Cabbage
    Mexican squash (added at the end)
    Cilantro
    Juice from one lime
    Jalepeno
    Salt & pepper.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I didn't start being healthy until I adopted a plant based diet. Whatever anyone's gripes are, it works. It makes you healthy, satiated, and kills your desire for unhealthy foods.

It's entirely possible to eat a non healthy diet that is 100% plant based.

Also, not everyone finds it satiating, certainly not every plant based diet. I recently gave it a shot again, and found that I was really struggling with wanting to overeat, much more than I'm used to. I think it was being lower fat and protein than I like (I'm not really as much a volume eater as I used to think). I agree it can be healthy and satiating, sure, but I don't think it always is, and plenty of other diets also are.

As for killing the desire for unhealthy foods, I don't really believe in unhealthy foods, just unhealthy diets, but I have a friend who has been a vegan for a while now, and she still likes plenty of junk foods.
    I look at snap peas now and my mouth waters. I see a cheeseburger and I'm disgusted almost to an offended level. Then I see that cheeseburger go down a kids throat and I want to scream.

I have that reaction to many vegetables. But I also enjoy a good cheeseburger. This idea that not being 100% plant based means you don't eat or enjoy vegetables is odd.
    Plant based and finally free from the torment I lived!

Most of us probably are not in torment. At least not because we eat some eggs or greek yogurt or even a steak.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I didn't start being healthy until I adopted a plant based diet. Whatever anyone's gripes are, it works. It makes you healthy, satiated, and kills your desire for unhealthy foods. I look at snap peas now and my mouth waters. I see a cheeseburger and I'm disgusted almost to an offended level. Then I see that cheeseburger go down a kids throat and I want to scream.
    Plant based and finally free from the torment I lived!
    Don't think I just eat lettuce either. Heck no. I'm too fat to starve myself and eat crap food. No way.
    I'm eating pasta, bean burgers, rice, sushi, cakes, muffins, soups, sandwiches, pizza, garlic bread. Omg, so much delicious stuff!
    It's really so easy that I want to go back in time and slap myself for not starting sooner, haha. I've tortured myself far too long with dieting and calorie counting and starving. No more. I eat like a goddess and feel like one too. :)

Interesting thing that-I actually did an experiment with a whole foods, plant based plan earlier this year, (following Fuhrman's Nutritarian plan), and I ended up having several unpleasant side effects-including having blood work done that showed my cholesterol numbers had actually gotten worse. I also got a really bad case of shingles during that time....

Anyways, completely eliminating animal products from my diet did nothing positive for my health. I also began to feel pretty crappy. After my blood test results I ditched it and reintroduced animal products into my diet. All of the unpleasantness I was experiencing disappeared, and I'm very curious to see what my next blood work panel will show (I get another one in October).
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Finding a way to eat fewer calories, yet still stay satisfied takes a bit of time (and effort). Start looking at protein, fiber & fat.

I ditched the (sugary) morning cereal with 1% milk in favor of something with more protein and fiber.....and it keeps me full until lunch. Greek yogurt with Fiber One cereal and berries.

I ditched "wasteful" calories at lunch. Chips vs. veggies. I'm not saying I will never have a serving of chips, but it's too many calories for so little enjoyment (for me). Veggies are much lower calorie & pretty filling. Find things that you don't mind giving up....so much.

That said.....chocolate. I find a way to work this into my calories most days. You need to pick YOUR battles. These are personal decisions....I won't give up chocolate, like some people won't give up chips.