Where are my hikers at?!

Options

Replies

• kiwiOT
    kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I live in Vancouver, Canada but I'm from New Zealand and I LOVE hiking. We're experiencing nasty levels of bushfire smog too so unfortunately I've missed out on hiking this month. Last June I did however complete a hike on my list of goals to do - Diez Vista Trail. 15km, approx 500m elevation. Gorgeous views that day. Completed it in 5.5 hours on my own.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I live in LA and try to get out and hike (when it's not 100degrees). Was recently in Cleveland and spent a day hiking the cuyahoga valley and hiked to Blue Hen Falls and Buttermilk Falls. So different from desert mountains!!
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm outside of Phoenix and have been hiking about two days a week in the morning before it gets too hot. I'm working up to longer hikes. I went on a three mile hike this morning. It was relatively cool, but really humid and no breeze or overcast for most of it, so not the best hike.
  • robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    4cb2lnf7ub4r.jpg

My photography skills on my phone doesn't match how pretty it is where I live. Which I was lighter to get up the higher climbs without so much stress on my joints and muscles.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Here is a pic of me trekking in Iceland at the end of June. Was an amazing experience, 3 days of walking, crossing rivers and camping. Befor this I had never camped in my life!
    On a normal day I hike around Scotland <3
    9z9eh62clrqd.jpg

That is beautiful! My son and I have a dream of going to Iceland. And I'd love to hike in Scotland some day -- it looks incredible!
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My most recent hike was to the top of Katahdin in Maine, via the Knife's Edge trail. It was absolutely terrifying for me, but I'm so happy I did it. And now I never have to do it again, ha. :)

Next up is Mount Washington in NH. I've been hiking in the White Mountains several times, but haven't done Washington yet!

I live in CT where we have lovely local hikes, but none are very challenging. But I love being so close to the rest of New England for more aggressive hikes! :)
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Another hiker here! I live in Maine, and my last hike was cairn maintenance day in Acadia yesterday.

We had two big trips this year: Isle au Haut and Baxter.

This is our hiking blog.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    I live in New Jersey. I have recently fallen in love w/ hiking. I love how it clears my mind of all thoughts except where am I going to step next and where am I going. Last hike was Apshawa Preserve. This was only maybe my 3rd hike ever and I got lost on the trails. Is there an app or tracker that has a map and can relocate you if lost?
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    litoria wrote: »
    I'm a mad keen hiker, currently training for the Everest Base Camp trek in 4 weeks time! Am doing 2 hours a day, 6 days a week with a total of 1200m ascent/descent each time, carrying a 20kg pack for conditioning. It's really hard but I figure it will have me in good shape for the actual trip

Amazing!!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I enjoy hiking and backpacking, as well as trail running. For day trips, I do more trail running these days and hiking/backpacking for overnight trips (partly due to pack weight). What I really need to do now for backpacking is figure out how to get lighter. Part of it actually finding lighter gear, but part of it is the mental side of not carrying all my fears with me. Last place I backpacked was in June at Glacier National Park - Many Glacier area.

I live in Iowa, so day trips (trail running mostly) are not as much elevation climb. However, there are some areas that are quite hilly here and in NE - rolling hills make it easy to get 1K-2K ft. of cumulative elevation gain in 5-10 miles in some places.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Oh, and BTW, there is a hiker / backpacker group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/547-hikers-and-backpackers

It is pretty quiet, but might not be if there were more members.
  • BestHolly29
    BestHolly29 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    I live in New Jersey. I have recently fallen in love w/ hiking. I love how it clears my mind of all thoughts except where am I going to step next and where am I going. Last hike was Apshawa Preserve. This was only maybe my 3rd hike ever and I got lost on the trails. Is there an app or tracker that has a map and can relocate you if lost?

I use AllTrails and I love it. Has saved me from giving lost a timer to. Just make sure that you open up the trail map while you still have service, the GPS Works once you loose service but I'm never able to load the maps unless I do it beforehand
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I hike almost every weekend. We are Boy Scout leaders and have been doing practice hikes for a 14er in just a few weeks. Last week we logged about 12 miles in two separate hikes. Typically we do about 5-7 miles each weekend. Living in Colorado is awesome.

I would love to get out every weekend. How do you squeeze it in? I have trouble finding whole days to get out of town.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    Hubby and I hike almost every weekend. We are Boy Scout leaders and have been doing practice hikes for a 14er in just a few weeks. Last week we logged about 12 miles in two separate hikes. Typically we do about 5-7 miles each weekend. Living in Colorado is awesome.

I would love to get out every weekend. How do you squeeze it in? I have trouble finding whole days to get out of town.

We usually go early in the morning on one weekend day. We live within 30 minutes or less of many great hikes. If we are on the trail by 6-7 in the morning and we are finished up amd on our way home by 10am.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Oh, and BTW, there is a hiker / backpacker group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/547-hikers-and-backpackers

It is pretty quiet, but might not be if there were more members.

We should get this group going again!!