Where are my hikers at?!

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Oh, and BTW, there is a hiker / backpacker group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/547-hikers-and-backpackers

It is pretty quiet, but might not be if there were more members.

We should get this group going again!!

I just went and joined. We're planning some long weekend backpack trips next year, mostly in Rocky Mountain National Park or along the Continental Divide Trail in CO. :)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Im lucky to live on the edge of the Peak District in the UK
    Last hike was win hill, views were lovely but i cant add them here due to using my mobile

I have 5 hikes planned next week all are 6 - 8 milers but im known to misread maps and end up doing a few extra

I do all my hikes with my son strapped to my back and water bottles hanging off the front
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Recently did some little hikes (7 miles total) in Branson, Missouri of all places. It was a beautiful day but man oh man, lots of spiders in the woods. My favorite hikes in the past year have been the petroglyph trail at Mesa Verde in CO, and in and out at Carlsbad Caverns.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I live in the Pacific NW and between trail running and hiking I spend a lot of time up in the mountains. These are the hikes I've done in the past couple weeks: Church Mountain, Diablo Lake, and Yellow Aster Butte.
    You can see some of the smoke from the wildfires in Canada in the Diablo Lake pic.
    rkniu5fbwelz.jpg
    eoa80ag8o5w8.jpg
    8h3q65cknjx8.jpg

We are lucky to live in the PNW! I need to get to Diablo Lake one of these days.
  • solovino1
    solovino1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    https://caltopo.com/m/1LS7

I am in Santa Fe also. Above is my latest, below are a bunch more...

over50outdoors.org/
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I usually get a hike in each weekend, typically somewhere in the bluffs around the Baraboo, WI area. I like some of the less-traveled bits of the Ice Age trail, where I only encounter a few, if any, people.

Did Kilimanjaro in February, which was amazing, although I didn't really like the training for it - I got too caught up in the stats of each hike and I kept feeling like I "had" to hike, rather than hiking just for the pleasure of hiking. Funny enough, now that I'm not training anymore, I still hike nearly as much, but now I can hike for its own sake.

I wish I could go on a trip next year to do the Inca Trail with some of my coworkers, but I have a business trip at the same time - and I can't get out of that or move it, that trip is the culmination of a project that is years in the making.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't get to hike much, even though I do live in the Appalachian Mountains, and I've only recently gotten down enough weight to have better stamina for it. Last weekend I went to Harper's Ferry, WV, and walking the part of the Appalachian trail that goes through the town, starting down at the river and climbing the stone steps to the top of the hill and following the trail until it came to route 340. I"m not sure how much that is - approximately a mile? And then I meandered back along the river through the park. Considering how out of shape I am, I was really proud of myself for making it up all those steps and doing all that walking! I got almost 14,000 steps in that day, and that's a big improvement over my typical < 5,000 steps a day. I had a lot of fun doing it, too! I found that it was so much easier for me to hike for a couple of hours than walk a city park walking trail, so its something I hope I can do more of in the future!

My biggest problem with hiking, though, is I don't have anyone to hike with, and I'm not so sure of the prudence of hiking out alone - especially as cell phone coverage is pretty spotty in the area I live.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    4ji97cqnni1e.jpg
    Hathersage
    gd44941ddllt.jpg

My usuall hiking look on the monsel trail
  • ruqayyahsmum
    edited August 2017
    Options
    cijw81n99z82.jpg
    Monsel head
  • 7elizamae
    Options
    I am loving seeing where y'all are hiking! I'd really like to commit to a hike every weekend, but we'll see. I live about 45 - 60 min away from some average (and really busy) hikes, and 2-3 hours from really exceptional (think National Park) hikes. So, I'm always dissatisfied with the average ones.

Who goes every weekend? How long have you been able to keep that up?
  • 7elizamae
    Options

My biggest problem with hiking, though, is I don't have anyone to hike with, and I'm not so sure of the prudence of hiking out alone - especially as cell phone coverage is pretty spotty in the area I live.

I hike alone often. I choose hikes that I know are well-populated. I don't go to trailheads out in the boonies by myself, as much as I'd like the solitude.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Apshawa Preserve in NJ this morning.

tbq6dir6f9db.jpg
    r0gw7lwaevjb.jpg
    8c48yyqueunl.jpg
    ikmk5lcgo8u9.jpg
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get more into it. My son doesn't seem to interested though, and childcare is an issue.
  • 7elizamae
    Options
    I'm trying to get more into it. My son doesn't seem to interested though, and childcare is an issue.

My boys love it now, but when they were little, I'd give them my phone on hikes so they could take pictures. That was a complete game-changer! They took a LOT of pictures and spent the hike looking for great shots.
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Indian Head Mountain, Catskills NY. 1515' elevation gain from parking lot. 3,573 peak elevation. About 9 miles. Did this a couple of weeks ago with my husband for our anniversary. It's a tough hike that we wouldn't be able to do with our two young kids.
  • redangel19
    redangel19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We get about 3 good hikes a summer. The last one was at Heather Lake, Washington State. 4 miles or so roundtrip. Gorgeous lake to hang around at.
    I'd love to go more, however with three kids it's hard to get them all on the same page.