Plant based diet

Options
I need help transition to A plant based diet. All the books i have dont show how many grams protein or calories. I neef to loose weight.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    The calories you need to lose weight can be given to you by the site when you put in all your stats. Sticking to those numbers that you're given is a good starting place but you can make adjustments later.
  • brandnew222
    brandnew222 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Calories: the amount you need to lose, gain or maintain your weight. It doesn't matter if you eat plant based or not
    Protein: MFP website will give you a 50C - 30F - 20P by default, I believe it's ok. 20% protein is more than enough, I think around 1g per KG of bodyweight is a good level.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Going plant-based doesn't change your needs for protein and calories. If you don't already have goals, try entering your stats into MFP -- that will generate a protein and calorie goal for you.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I lost weight eating grilled chicken breast made at home with a side of veggies.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Going plant-based doesn't change your needs for protein and calories. If you don't already have goals, try entering your stats into MFP -- that will generate a protein and calorie goal for you.

This.
  • OliveGirl128
    edited August 2017
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »
    There is a tv show on the Z Living Network called Big Fat Truth. It's pretty interesting because they put "unhealthy" people on a plant based diet for 30 days and you get to see the transformation.

They have plant based recipes on their website.
    https://www.zliving.com/food/recipes

I've never seen the show, but let me guess, they put unhealthy people on a plant based diet that just so happens to also put them in a calorie deficit, and they also have them throw in some exercise, and by the end they end up losing weight and having better health markers across the board? Is that about right?

To sum it up, yes you are right...they end up losing weight and end up with healthy markers across the board. Many of them start with high blood pressure, high LDL cholesterol, pre-diabetic etc, and by 10 days their levels start going down and by 30 days most are within healthy range. The purpose of the show is to transform their unhealthy lifestyle into something they can maintain long term. It's not simply about losing weight...it's about becoming healthy from a nutrition standpoint. If you can tell me how this is a problem or unhealthy I'd love to hear it.

I understand that a plant based diet is not the only way to achieve this, but it is one way that works, so what is the problem?

But many times, just losing the extra weight will dramatically improve health markers, regardless of what foods the person ate.

I'm a pretty good example of this. I improved all my health markers, including normalizing a prediabetic glucose number-making me the only one in my family who's reversed the progression of prediabetes, while still continuing to eat all sorts of things that you'd label 'unhealthy' (fast food several times a week, all sorts of 'processed' diet foods, added sugar/HFCS foods etc etc). Losing the extra 50lbs I was carrying around was what made me healthy again, not because I was eating some sort of 'healthy' diet.

And doing it this way made it sustainable for me, because it met me where I was at. If I had tried to make drastic changes to what kinds of foods I ate during my weight loss phase, I know without a doubt that I would have failed and would most likely be a type 2 diabetic right now, like so many of my overweight/obese family members were/are. Instead I was able to easily lose the extra weight and then transition into maintenance, where I've now been for years.

Since my weight loss phase I've played around quite a bit with how I eat, and today I eat a bit differently than how I did when I started my weight loss phase. But, I wouldn't be where I am today, if I hadn't started where I did. And while I now follow the DASH protocol, I still include all the foods I enjoy eating-including many of the things I ate during my weight loss phase. And I have years of hard data showing that I continue to be in excellent health while doing so :)

eta: who knows, maybe I'm a freak of nature or something. Considering that I'm one of the very few people who are actually maintaining weight loss long term it certainly feels like it sometime :p
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There is a tv show on the Z Living Network called Big Fat Truth. It's pretty interesting because they put "unhealthy" people on a plant based diet for 30 days and you get to see the transformation.

I've never seen the show, but let me guess, they put unhealthy people on a plant based diet that just so happens to also put them in a calorie deficit, and they also have them throw in some exercise, and by the end they end up losing weight and having better health markers across the board? Is that about right?

To sum it up, yes you are right...they end up losing weight and end up with healthy markers across the board. Many of them start with high blood pressure, high LDL cholesterol, pre-diabetic etc, and by 10 days their levels start going down and by 30 days most are within healthy range. The purpose of the show is to transform their unhealthy lifestyle into something they can maintain long term. It's not simply about losing weight...it's about becoming healthy from a nutrition standpoint. If you can tell me how this is a problem or unhealthy I'd love to hear it.

I understand that a plant based diet is not the only way to achieve this, but it is one way that works, so what is the problem?

My only problem is that it's extremely misleading. It's almost completely the weight loss and exercise that is making all their health markers better and they don't even acknowledge that, they give all the credit to the plant based diet. That's like doing a study where you take people who smoke a pack a day, and have them completely stop smoking for 6 months and also read a book for an hour a day and at the end saying that an hour of reading a day increases respiration and makes you healthier. See my point?

I do see your point. I do agree that general weight loss will improve those levels. I also personally believe that what you eat has an effect on those levels/health as well.

I myself am not on a strict plant based diet. I try to keep a majority of my plate vegetables, fruit, healthy grains etc, but I also like chicken, pork and fish (in not much of a red meat eater, but I do like a good burger sometimes).

Like I said, plant based is not the only way to achieve 'health' but it certainly will work. I'm not sure that eating cico of cheeseburgers/fries paired with exercise will lead to healthy levels (just using that as an extreme example...I realize not everyone just eats one food).

So I do believe there is truth to what your say, but I also think there is merit to the plant based diet for general health...it's certainly not going to hurt anything. So if people believe that plant based will get them to the finish line, I support them fully.
  • jhildebrandt73
    jhildebrandt73 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you are set on eating a plant based diet, there are several groups in MFP that you can join for recipes, advice and support. I find them very informative and helpful. Either way, good job on wanting to improve your health.
  • OliveGirl128
    edited August 2017
    Options

My only problem is that it's extremely misleading. It's almost completely the weight loss and exercise that is making all their health markers better and they don't even acknowledge that, they give all the credit to the plant based diet. That's like doing a study where you take people who smoke a pack a day, and have them completely stop smoking for 6 months and also read a book for an hour a day and at the end saying that an hour of reading a day increases respiration and makes you healthier. See my point?

I do see your point. I do agree that general weight loss will improve those levels. I also personally believe that what you eat has an effect on those levels/health as well.

I myself am not on a strict plant based diet. I try to keep a majority of my plate vegetables, fruit, healthy grains etc, but I also like chicken, pork and fish (in not much of a red meat eater, but I do like a good burger sometimes).

Like I said, plant based is not the only way to achieve 'health' but it certainly will work. I'm not sure that eating cico of cheeseburgers/fries paired with exercise will lead to healthy levels (just using that as an extreme example...I realize not everyone just eats one food).

So I do believe there is truth to what your say, but I also think there is merit to the plant based diet for general health...it's certainly not going to hurt anything. So if people believe that plant based will get them to the finish line, I support them fully.

Ever hear of the 'Twinkie Guy'? If not you may find this an interesting read ;)
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.....

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There are loads of vegan and plant based groups on Facebook where you will be able to get advice on products and recipes. Also have a look at forks over knives.

Don't have a look at forks over knives...it's straight vegan propaganda and there is very little truth to anything being spewed in that poor excuse for a "documentary"

I meant the website, for plant based recipe ideas.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Because understanding the cause is important. A plant-based diet will not cause it necessarily, as it's possible to eat over maintenance or not to have a deficit with a plant-based diet, and it's also possible to have a not so great diet that is "plant-based" (depending on what that means and if you bother making sure nutritional needs are met). And, similarly, there are lots of other things that work, so promoting the idea that it's being plant-based that causes it (as some of the recent "documentaries" do) isn't a good idea.

If someone wants to be 100% plant-based, I am totally supportive and think plant-based diets can be good ones, although I'd recommend watching protein and supplementing B12 and Omega-3 (specifically DHA), which one can do with algae-based pills.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    While it is true that a vegan or vegetarian diet alone will not automatically result in weight loss. I can tell you, for myself and for many other vegetarians I meet, there are just as many overweight and obese vegetarians out there as thin ones. However, there are a lot of research studies that show that meatless diets do result in things like healthier guts (because they are generally higher in plant fiber), gentler menopause symptoms and even lower levels of stress. Protein is definitely needed by your body, and in particular, B vitamins, like B-12, are required to be supplemented in vegans because we get them from animal products in our diet. Most meat eaters and Western diets in general "overdose" on protein which, over time, can lead to kidney issues and leaching of calcium from your bones which leads to osteoporosis. For example, in Japan, meat consumption and milk consumption are very low, yet, so are the rates of osteoporosis and there is no word in the Japanese language for "hot flash" because menopause symptoms among those who eat a traditional Japanese diet are mostly insignificant. So, yes, there are health benefits to a meat-free or low-meat diet.

That said, put your stats into My Fitness Pal and choose your rate of weight loss and it will tell you how many grams of protein to eat each day. Plant-based proteins include Soy-based products like tofu, tempah and there are a lot of soy-based burgers, hot dogs, bacon, chicken nuggets, etc. on the market that can be used as substitutes for meat in your normal recipes. Other protein sources include cheese (and soy cheese), soy or almond milk, beans, nuts and seeds, nut butters (like peanut butter), yogurt and many breads (like Ezekial breads) contain considerable amounts of protein. I am a pescetarian, meaining that I eat no meat, but do occasionally eat fish and seafood. There are many, many different variations on meat-free or low meat diets so you just have to find what works best for you. I've been doing it for close to 20 years now, so if you'd like to add me and see my food diary, please do.
  • SecularVegan
    SecularVegan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I hope you stick with it. It's really life changing!
    Here are a few videos I suggest watching in regards to your questions. They're very helpful. :)

https://youtu.be/2CKxp1PMd48

https://youtu.be/LGArj9Do0xc

https://youtu.be/fWTMpYjaI5E

Good luck! You can do it! <3