Growing the glutes. Questions.

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If your focus is glutes, look at strongcurves. Its a great starting program.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    kokonani wrote: »
    Oh wow! Amazing glutes! Wish they were mine.. I look like my 80 year old grandma's.

Well, how many sets of squats and hip thrusts are you doing per week? Just sayin'.....

None! That's why.. I'm definitely going to start some kind of squats today! The photo got me goin'!
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Go here https://bretcontreras.com/ Bret Contreras has created glute training programs - he is in S. Florida - Eastcoast Jim
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Jen Heward on YouTube is a great resource... I mean not that I've checked her out or anything... Haha haha huuu :grimace:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    Go here https://bretcontreras.com/ Bret Contreras has created glute training programs - he is in S. Florida - Eastcoast Jim

I agree.. Bret is the man. ;)
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I use to be a size 1 (no booty at all). Heavy lifting for lower body exercises (squats, lunges, deadlifts). I try to do squats 2x/week.
  • Fitness01_
    Fitness01_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    I have been lifting heavy and trying to recomp but I think a bulk will be my next step. Got a pancake *kitten* from years of LD running

[Post edited by mfp mod]

I've had some success growing the booty recomping over about a years timeframe. I can't post pics here because they are in my undies, but if you PM me, I can share. I didn't really realize until I compared pictures. Measurements are up about 2". But some of that is fat too. But before, it was pretty flat and saggy and it's pretty pert now. I squat and deadlift 1-2x a week and add in glute accessories like weighted glute bridges, adductor, abductor, cable kick backs step downs, etc.
  • lacedeno22
    lacedeno22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I lost 5 inches initially in order to get lean and build back up. I gained another 2-3 when I bulked. My *kitten* looks..the best it has ever. I do lifts from strong curves as well as power lifting. Lots of hip thrusts and cable pull throughs.

I'm starting Strong Curves. I'm working with a trainer. He keeps telling me to eat eat eat, but I kind of feel like I need to lose more bf before I try to bulk up. Not sure which is right. I'm at 17% bf and want to get to 13%. I'm 5'5" and currently 139#. What are your thoughts?
  • lacedeno22
    lacedeno22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have a picture to post here, but you can check out my Instagram. I've been successful in improving the peach. Consistent progressive overload to the glutes. I've been going about 3 years, 2-3 days per week. I focus on compounds movements 5-12 reps 3-4 sets. I mean squats, deadlifts, lunges, hip thrust, or some variation of all those. I also include isolation moments after the compounds. It's about frequency and volume and some intensity. Work it often. Try to increase weight/reps/sets to increase volume. Go heavy AF every so often. Hope that helps! Here's a Sample Leg Day I've done:
    Super Set 1:
    - Squats 4X10 increasing weight as you warm up
    - hip abductor 4X10 (Helps me warm up for squats)
    - hip adductor 4x10 (Helps me warm up for squats)
    Super Set 2:
    - Squats (working sets) 4X5 HEAVY (I worked up to 230lb for these sets)
    - hip thrust on lying hamstring curl machine 4X10-12
    Super Set 3:
    - cable kick back 3X10
    - reverse hyper extensions OR cable stiff leg deadlifts 3X10

Takes me about an hour, and this is just what I've done. Not saying there's anything magical about this.

How long did it take you to get to 230#?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lacedeno22 wrote: »
    I lost 5 inches initially in order to get lean and build back up. I gained another 2-3 when I bulked. My *kitten* looks..the best it has ever. I do lifts from strong curves as well as power lifting. Lots of hip thrusts and cable pull throughs.

I'm starting Strong Curves. I'm working with a trainer. He keeps telling me to eat eat eat, but I kind of feel like I need to lose more bf before I try to bulk up. Not sure which is right. I'm at 17% bf and want to get to 13%. I'm 5'5" and currently 139#. What are your thoughts?

13% is really lean.. like stage lean. You don't need to go that low to bulk, I would say 17% is a great place. That being said, how are you measuring your bodyfat% ?
    Just to give you an idea of bodyfat % of women:

zl99dh624q7u.png

To get to 13% so between the bottom two women (approximately) is very very difficult and unnecessary unless you are competing. Just my two cents.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    lacedeno22 wrote: »

Look at the pictures. I wasn't comfortable bulking until I was 128 at 5'4". I was around 18-20% body fat. Some of my other 5'4" girlfriends had to dip down to 110-115 to be lean enough to bulk, just because they had less muscle than me.

I'll tell you, I knew I was ready because I was *kitten* tiny. I'll never be that small again.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How do people recommend getting your body fat measured?

Dexa or hydrostatic are the most accurate. Calipers arent bad though
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Fitness01_ wrote: »
    Same! I know we have to eat at a surplus and lift heavy. But I would like to hear from someone who has had success like the women on Instagram with very nice booty gainz

1. stop using instagram for your ideal body type..
    2. you can;t really spot increase...yes you can spot train, but genetics will play a larger role in where you gain and lose fat/muscle from
    3. look into strong curves
    4. squat heavy
  • destinykeith22
    destinykeith22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Growing my glutes has been my favorite part about my journey!!
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Dumb question but... even when I squat really low I don't feel much in my glutes, but when I deadlift I do. Am I doing something wrong or is that expected?
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Dumb question but... even when I squat really low I don't feel much in my glutes, but when I deadlift I do. Am I doing something wrong or is that expected?

Squats stretch the glutes which doesn't make them fire as hard as an exercise that squeezes them (like hip thrusts). Strong Curves gets into how to activate your glutes more efficiently to make sure you're using them more when squatting and deadlifting instead of compensating with your back or legs.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The wider you stand when you squat the more it will naturally activate the glutes.

Turning out your toes - in a plie - will also naturally activate the glutes more.

Also try:
    romanian deadlift
    single leg squats
    straight leg deadlift
    donkey kicks

lots of good glute moves out there - find whatever works best for you