New Research on BCAAs-Don't waste your money.

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yes I read the research. It concludes "We conclude that dietary BCAA supplements alone do not promote muscle anabolism." I'm not stating that. Just saying they make my water taste better so I drink more and it seems to help me get through my workouts, It works for me and is fairly inexpensive so I will continue. I wasn't asking for advice. I as just making a statement that it works for me. Why does everyone on here have to be so argumentative?

per above the thread was about the fact research says they are not needed so that was the discussion...

you actually came in and decided to play devils advocate and say they gave you "energy" for your workout which isn't a proven effect of BCAA's.

As well if you want to use them but know that they aren't doing you any good physically...similar to the amino's than have at but don't try to convince others of your beliefs..too many experts don't agree with your opinion.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    also we argue - because what you are posting is counter to the entire thread...aka, the uselessness of BCAA's if you have sufficient protein in your diet...nothing that you have contributed has actually challenged the science behind the research

+1 And not arguing. Discussing. That's what people do on forums. Thus the name "forum".
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Lol, yeah, I never seemed to get much from my BCAA's - bought a tub once, didn't do it again. If it works as placebo, then go for it, but why waste money if it doesn't.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »
    If you want all the essential amino acids eat eggs.

I do eat eggs every day.

Also I get plenty of protein, about 150 g a day.

Then there is absolutely no need for BCAA's then. You are eating more protein than required, even during a cut. During cuts, it's recommend at 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. And the higher end is based on if you are fairly lean and fairly active.

I am lean, 101 pounds at 5' tall small frame and I am active. I work out 4 to 5 times a week lifting and twice a week cardio for 30 minutes. So 1.5g per pound works out to 150g a day which is what my trainer recommended on this cut to help prevent muscle loss. Also why she recommended taking essential Aminos.

Your trainer may well not be a great source of nutritional information.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    New study from The Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition on effectiveness of BCAAs. Short version, don't waste your money. Long version here:
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0184-9
    Both of these intravenous infusion studies found that BCAAs decreased muscle protein synthesis as well as protein breakdown, meaning a decrease in muscle protein turnover. The catabolic state in which the rate of muscle protein breakdown exceeded the rate of muscle protein synthesis persisted during BCAA infusion. We conclude that the claim that consumption of dietary BCAAs stimulates muscle protein synthesis or produces an anabolic response in human subjects is unwarranted.

Sorry. But they taste really good. I'm going to keep taking them!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    New study from The Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition on effectiveness of BCAAs. Short version, don't waste your money. Long version here:
    Both of these intravenous infusion studies found that BCAAs decreased muscle protein synthesis as well as protein breakdown, meaning a decrease in muscle protein turnover. The catabolic state in which the rate of muscle protein breakdown exceeded the rate of muscle protein synthesis persisted during BCAA infusion. We conclude that the claim that consumption of dietary BCAAs stimulates muscle protein synthesis or produces an anabolic response in human subjects is unwarranted.

No need to apologize - I still eat pizza because it tastes really good. I just don't have any unrealistic expectations of what it can do for my nutrition or fitness.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

No need to apologize - I still eat pizza because it tastes really good. I just don't have any unrealistic expectations of what it can do for my nutrition or fitness.

Exactly. If they do nothing, that's cool. I just like having something to drink with flavor since I workout fasted.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Timely graphic in my FB feed today:

0d7mbofvl572.jpg

That's awesome!! :p
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Timely graphic in my FB feed today:

0d7mbofvl572.jpg

OMG, I love this.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I train fasted every day, 3 weight session days, 4 cardio. I have coffee before, water during, protein smoothie with berries and bananas after. No issues here. I do it for the same reasons you do. I make sure I get enough protein daily and it all works out just fine. Plenty of energy and have been having killer workout lately.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    What are your recommendations for someone like me who trains fasted when cutting? The reason I do IF is simply so that I can eat bigger meals while making sure that I am still in a caloric deficit...and the only reason I train fasted is because I enjoy working out in the morning when there's no one at my gym instead in the afternoon when it's a jungle. In the past, I would use Martin Berkhan's suggestion of taking BCAA's every 2-3 hours, now what with all these studies?

How soon do you eat after the gym? If it's within a few hours, you are probably fine. If not, it may be worth breaking the fast with a protein shake. But overall, it probably won't even matter.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    What are your recommendations for someone like me who trains fasted when cutting? The reason I do IF is simply so that I can eat bigger meals while making sure that I am still in a caloric deficit...and the only reason I train fasted is because I enjoy working out in the morning when there's no one at my gym instead in the afternoon when it's a jungle. In the past, I would use Martin Berkhan's suggestion of taking BCAA's every 2-3 hours, now what with all these studies?

How soon do you eat after the gym? If it's within a few hours, you are probably fine. If not, it may be worth breaking the fast with a protein shake. But overall, it probably won't even matter.

I usually start my workout at 5:30 am and don't eat until noon or 1pm

Its obvious all your muscle is going to just wither away :p . Honestly, we all get caught up so much in the minutia, but if its been working, somt fix it. Honestly, if the placebo effect of supplements help, then i would stress it.

If you care about every tiny bit of gain, have a poat workout protein shake with carbs.
  • mmapags
    Options

Its obvious all your muscle is going to just wither away :p . Honestly, we all get caught up so much in the minutia, but if its been working, somt fix it. Honestly, if the placebo effect of supplements help, then i would stress it.

If you care about every tiny bit of gain, have a poat workout protein shake with carbs.

This^. I was just reading a research paper yesterday that referenced about 6 others on the same subject and there is nothing conclusive about when to ingest nutrients for anabolic response. The general conclusion was anytime between post workout and 6 hours is ideal and longer than that doesn't really make that much of a difference.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Is pre-workout food necessary or just post should be good enough?

Last review from Alan Aragon suggested to eat with 2 hours pre or post workout as a safety net, but emphasizing that total protein is way more important than timing. Also considering evolution, if you went longer, it would be fine. Our bodies generally have enough fat stores and glycogem stores that it would really matter.
  • DennyC96
    DennyC96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dang and I just bought a tub of BCAA
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Exactly. If they do nothing, that's cool. I just like having something to drink with flavor since I workout fasted.

A lot of less expensive ways to flavor water than BCAAs