Tall Women: How did you choose your maintenance weight.

Options

Replies

• pookiefatcat
    pookiefatcat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and started the year at 300 lbs so setting a goal of getting to 199 seemed like a good idea. I haven't weighed in the hundreds since I was in Jr. High. I'm down 70 lbs right now and still can't really wrap my head around getting there. A healthy BMI is about 20 lbs less than that so I may re-evaluate once I'm under 200.

ETA: I'm 49.

Makes complete sense to me. Dropping past the 200lb mark was amazing and it happened faster than I thought. Losing 70lbs is incredible!

It makes sense to me to set a goal that I know I can achieve. Hitting 199 is a great place to aim for. And even if you stopped there and maintained for a while, just think of how far you have come and how much better you feel. You can always make a new goal for after.
  • diliveslife
    diliveslife Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I feel really good around 180 and I am 5'11 too. Last body fat dunk test I was 176 and only 21% body fat jeans/ dress pants size 4/6 . Part of me would like to get lower than that again. My thinnest was 156 over 10 years ago but I was an avid half marathoner and my body was not tone or strong, and I like the way it looks more at 180 with more muscle. That said it wouldn't hurt to see if I can maintain strength but get lighter. When I gain weight at 180 it's pretty noticeable and that can be discouraging. I'd like to have more wiggle room. I think it depends on your personal body and how much muscle you have or want.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Im 5'8.75" and I chose 140lbs for my maintenance weight because it was where I felt I have looked the best in the past. Ive been (a lot) bigger and smaller than that but that seems to be my sweet spot. There is nothing wrong with setting a goal and reevaluating once you hit it though :)
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    5’11 (180cm) and I would be considered athletic build, broad shoulders & strong legs/calves. 19% bodyfat and I’m at 165 at the moment. I’ve being down to 150 looked good as I lost the fat from the legs which is the last to go for me, but was quite hard to maintain and I think I cut calories/macros to harshly to get to it - so now I’d like to bounce around 158lb watching calories but have scheduled nights off intermittently
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    5'7 not sure if I qualify for tall but my range is 130 to 140. Trying to narrow it down little and avoid winter gain this year so hope to be 130 to 135
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    5'10". When I was young, I felt best at 160, looked best at 140, but always hungry, weak. Now that I'm old. I want health and energy more than looks. First goal 170, top of healthy bmi. Will decide what next when I get closer. Now at 215.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and chose the middle of my healthy BMI, so 143 (I'm still away from it but should reach it end of the year!)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Op, did you ask the first Dr. Why? My dads Dr. Wanted him to keep his weight at 180. Dad was happier at 160. Either was a good weight for him, but it was so much easier to keep all his meds regulated at 180. Easy to understand, but we might have never known why if he hadn't explained it.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'8" with a large, athletic build, currently about 175. (down from 200 when I started)

My goal weight is 150 which I feel like I could live comfortably with and still eat and have the occasional glass of wine. I'm 46...the jig is up. I don't think I could easily maintain anything lower than that. The last time I was 145 I was in college and I starved myself and worked out 2x a day. I fainted twice that summer. At 150 I look pretty skinny. Honestly, I'll be happy with 155.
  • astromermaid
    astromermaid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im 5'11
    Age 29
    Im always around 145 - 155lbs. I like being 140-145 the best. But the easiest for me is to maintain 150. In order for me to be 140-something I have to workout everyday. I dont diet but dont eat like a pig either. I never crave sugar because I drink apple vinegar. But I do crave salty and crunchy snacks. If I dont eat snacks then it's easy to be in 140s zone. Also I workout everyday or pretty much doing something intense like kickboxing and other workouts.

• magicshrimp
    magicshrimp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and 156lbs, which is perfect for me right now. I've managed to maintain it and I feel so much better. I started out at 125lbs in February.
  • jaymie_x0
    jaymie_x0 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    5'10". When I was young, I felt best at 160, looked best at 140, but always hungry, weak. Now that I'm old. I want health and energy more than looks. First goal 170, top of healthy bmi. Will decide what next when I get closer. Now at 215.

I'm 140 and 5'11 I find it very easy to maintain and am never hungry, when I am I just eat within my maintainence calories which are 2200 so I get plenty of food
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and I've been losing weight since last February. My doctor wants me no lower than 160 pounds which is 14 pounds less than what I am right now. I've never been happy at that weight. I feel the best at 150. For you tall women like me, how did you decide on what weight to maintain? Did you go by your doctor's advice or what felt the best? I'm just wondering if I set an unrealistic goal for myself in the beginning. I'm also in my 40s so I don't know if that means I should weigh more than when I was in my 20s and the doctor is factoring that in as part of it. I'm just looking for people who are at a healthy weight like I will be.

I'm 6'0" and I'm at 167 (BF% 20-21%) right now and my doctor said I'm good. But after this reverse diet (I hope to get to at least 2300 calorie maintenance), I am going to start prepping for a competition and hope to get to the 150's (BF% 15-18%) Not sure if it matters, but I also have wide hip bones so I will never be model skinny and get to the 140's like some. I'm ok with that. So to answer your question, I'm maintaining right now between 165-170 during this reverse diet. I started at 190 in January.
  • Christine_2017
    Christine_2017 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and am aiming for 130 which is where I was before I had my son and I was happy there. I've about 7lbs to go now and then I think it's time to work on being happy at that weight!

I thought I would be thrilled to be under 140 and stop here but I'm still not entirely happy so will persevere but will not go lower than 130.

I think 150 sounds fine, it's whatever weight you feel happy at xx
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and am aiming for 130 which is where I was before I had my son and I was happy there. I've about 7lbs to go now and then I think it's time to work on being happy at that weight!

I thought I would be thrilled to be under 140 and stop here but I'm still not entirely happy so will persevere but will not go lower than 130.

Are you a particularly tiny build as 130 is actually underweight for your height ?
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options

130 is underweight for 5'11", even if you have a tiny frame like mine. Trust me on this, it's not going to feel or look good in the long run. 135 to 145 range is better, and start strength training (If you haven't already) for a nicer body composition.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 6 ft and currently 159.5 or so. My highest has been around 167 with less muscle. I ran a half marathon this year and I've recently started weight training (like, 2 weeks ago--I keep flexing in front of my husband and asking him if I look ripped yet). I normally eat 1800-2200 calories, but more if I'm hungry. The last few days I've been stressed and not quite eating enough (1300-1500), but I know that'll pass soon as my appetite comes back. I'm slowly losing to get down to the lower 150s then maintain. I'm in no rush (plus I used to have an eating disorder so being too stringent with weighing etc backfires for me). Nice to have other tall friends so feel free to add me, anyone. :-)
  • gnu4liberty
    gnu4liberty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 66 and in a wheelchair with MS. I am 5’9” and maintaining at 127. I don’t exercise that much and am in a size 10. I am glad to be the same size from one month to the next.