Need a Slow-Cooker Recipe Please

Options
cookma423
cookma423 Posts: 62 Member
Just looking for something fun to do this weekend. I'm really working on that whole plan-your-meals-for-the-week thing, so I figure something in a crock pot could give me the volume I need.

Not too picky; no dietary restrictions, no allergies. I don't like avocado. If it works with rice, sweet! I'm a grad student, and rice is a cheap way to make the main recipe last longer haha

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Wotan48
    Wotan48 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Check out Pinterest, they have a ton of slow cooker recipes.
  • cookma423
    Options
    agbmom556 wrote: »

That looks great! I'll check it out thoroughly this afternoon. Thanks!
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    cookma423 wrote: »
    agbmom556 wrote: »

That looks great! I'll check it out thoroughly this afternoon. Thanks!

So will I, thanks.... love the fall time... seems like it's better for slow cookers
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Super easy recipe: Bloody Mary Chicken

4 chicken breasts
    1 bottle Bloody Mary Mix (I get the spiciest I can find)

Throw it in a slow cooker for a few hours.

I shred the chicken and serve it over rice with some veggies. Makes 4-6 servings depending on how much you want.
  • cookma423
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    So will I, thanks.... love the fall time... seems like it's better for slow cookers

Me too! Plus it's not labor-intensive. Get it together, let it sit all day. Can't ask for much more! Haha. And @magster4isu you rock! Coincidentally, I was planning on making some red beans and rice with shredded chicken over the weekend as well! I'll use your idea to cook the chicken ahead of time! Do you think it would work for legs/thighs/etc (in other words, the cheaper pieces) and just shred them from the bone?
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    cookma423 wrote: »
    RandJ6280 wrote: »

Me too! Plus it's not labor-intensive. Get it together, let it sit all day. Can't ask for much more! Haha. And @magster4isu you rock! Coincidentally, I was planning on making some red beans and rice with shredded chicken over the weekend as well! I'll use your idea to cook the chicken ahead of time! Do you think it would work for legs/thighs/etc (in other words, the cheaper pieces) and just shred them from the bone?

I would guess that it would work the same with legs/thighs. I've only ever used chicken breast so I can't say for sure.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2016/02/16/slow-cooker-basil-chicken-in-coconut-curry-sauce/

I just found this recipe. I thought it looked really good and has pretty cheap ingredients.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Not recipes, but here are ideas.

French dip sandwiches
    Black bean soup
    Pork ragu
    Beef stew
    Pot roast
    Korean beef
  • cookma423
    Options
    You are all far too kind! The recipes (and ideas @hesn92) are making me hungry already! Gonna be a fun weekend :D
  • mkasprzak2
    mkasprzak2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My fave (had it tonight!): two pork tenderloins (or other pork cut), 1 T sesame oil, 1/2 cup soy sauce (or tamari), 2 cloves chopped garlic, 1 thumb-sized chunk of ginger, chopped. Optional: dollop of honey or maple syrup, hot pepper flakes. Doesn't seem like enough liquid but it's enough. Put it on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 4-5. Shred the meat and eat it on noodles, rice, etc. Nice with a side salad or some edamame.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Rump roast with potatoes, carrots and onion (or any veggie you want). Add 1 packet of dried: ranch, italian and brown gravy and about 3 cups of water (makes a great broth). Leftover meat would be good with rice, or as a sandwich.
  • Libmatos
    Libmatos Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It seems odd to request a rice complementary recipe on a low carb thread. Rice is about as high in carbs as wheat, so it's not effective for weight loss, but here it goes: 1 lb of chuck cut for beef stew, 2 cups water, 2 tbsp virgin olive oil, and 4 tbsp A. If on low salt diet, skip A1 use 3/4 small can Hunts tomato sauce instead. To either, add, a teaspoon of rosemary, 1/2 tsp each sage, pink sea salt, garlic, onion flakes or 1 small chopped onion. I also dd black pepper to taste if not A1, and after it's done. To this mix, add veggies desired. Mine always has 2 chopped celery stalks in half inch pieces, a half cup of sliced mushrooms. Set all on low-medium setting and cook 6 hrs.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Libmatos wrote: »
    It seems odd to request a rice complementary recipe on a low carb thread. Rice is about as high in carbs as wheat, so it's not effective for weight loss, but here it goes: 1 lb of chuck cut for beef stew, 2 cups water, 2 tbsp virgin olive oil, and 4 tbsp A. If on low salt diet, skip A1 use 3/4 small can Hunts tomato sauce instead. To either, add, a teaspoon of rosemary, 1/2 tsp each sage, pink sea salt, garlic, onion flakes or 1 small chopped onion. I also dd black pepper to taste if not A1, and after it's done. To this mix, add veggies desired. Mine always has 2 chopped celery stalks in half inch pieces, a half cup of sliced mushrooms. Set all on low-medium setting and cook 6 hrs.

Why is this a low carb thread? OP specifically asked for recipes that would go well with rice...?!

I like to put some chicken breasts in mine (but you could use thighs if you wanted and shred off the bone), then throw in some BBQ sauce, garlic, chillis to taste and some apple cider vinegar and leave all day. Mmmmn, pulled pork. Goes great in sandwices, on rice, or just dive on into the pot with a fork! :D
  • cookma423
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Libmatos wrote: »

Why is this a low carb thread? OP specifically asked for recipes that would go well with rice...?!

I like to put some chicken breasts in mine (but you could use thighs if you wanted and shred off the bone), then throw in some BBQ sauce, garlic, chillis to taste and some apple cider vinegar and leave all day. Mmmmn, pulled pork. Goes great in sandwices, on rice, or just dive on into the pot with a fork! :D

I love pulled pork! Always brings back fun memories of my dad doing a whole roast with just basic seasoning. We'd use it for everything!! I love it.

@Libmatos I am definitely not a low-carb person haha. Rice is one of those staple things that I am never without in my kitchen. Your stew idea sounds good! I'm going to try that as weather starts to turn.

There are so many good recipes here that everyone has suggested; I have ideas for months! I really appreciate ate everyone taking the time to share some of their favorites with me! I recently moved for school and it's my first time living completely alone (no roommates! it's the best!), so I'm having a lot of fun finding recipes and improving my mediocre-at-best cooking skills. Exploring fun things to do with the various kitchen implements I've acquired over my life so far :smiley:
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I make this one regularly and serve it with rice.

http://cavemanketo.com/chicken-chili-soup/
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    So many good ideas and just in time for autumn!!!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    If you're ever in the mood for a comfort bean soup recipe, this one was my grandpa's.

GRANDPA RV’S GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP

Ingredients:

• 1 pound Great Northern beans
    • 1 large diced onion
    • 2 sliced celery stalks
    • 3 sliced carrots
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 small ham, diced
    • Salt & Pepper to taste (when serving)

Soak the Great Northern beans overnight, rinse them, then put in a 4-qt slow cooker.

Add the remaining ingredients. Heat water in a tea kettle on the stove and pour it over everything, filling to the top of the cooker.

Set it on low for about 9 hours. Remove the bay leaves and ham bone and add salt & pepper to taste.