Apple cider vinegar

Options
Who uses apple cider vinegar in their diet? What are some thoughts on it? A little or a lot?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I do. I use it in pickles, salad dressings, hot sauce, apple butter, pulled pork, and a variety of other dishes. It's one of my favorite vinegars.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use ACV to acidify the water used to soak my whole wheat flour overnight before baking bread.
    Sometimes I use white vinegar. Sometimes I use whey.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    So the whole "1 tbls a day helps weight loss" is a myth? I've researched it and some doctor's swear it helps, but I don't see them using it to drop weight lol

Most of what you read on the internet is a myth unless there are scientific journals to back the data. Maybe it helps because after drinking it you don't want to eat and this is creating a calorie deficit, but it isn't due to ACV alone.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I use it as a marinade ingredient.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    So the whole "1 tbls a day helps weight loss" is a myth? I've researched it and some doctor's swear it helps, but I don't see them using it to drop weight lol

It's a very clever (and effective!) marketing strategy by Braggs to sell their product, "with the mother." Their little pop up ads are everywhere, and they have gotten a lot of non-science-based bloggers to promote it.

ACV is great stuff--I make my own and use it extensively, but mostly for tasty food preparation and in the bath, and certainly NOT drinking it. :s I generally focus on eating the most pleasant and tasty of things for my nutritional goals, like sauteed brussels sprouts with ACV and bacon, or pulled pork with a vinegar BBQ sauce. :D
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why my comment is marked as woo. It's an old home remedy that works for many. It instantly gets rid of my heart burn. And I'm not promising anyone that it'll work for them.

because heart burn and acid reflux can be caused by many things and its best to know the root cause, not to mention it can make heartburn/gerd worse. some people produce too much acid and some dont produce enough. knowing which one is key too.its only a temp fix for heartburn. treating any underlying issues that may be causing it is best.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

When doing research, forget articles with testimonials from doctors and look for peer reviewed studies for accuracy. First, most doctors get very little education in nutrition and 2nd, studies have a higher likelihood of giving you a more accurate picture.
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why my comment is marked as woo. It's an old home remedy that works for many. It instantly gets rid of my heart burn. And I'm not promising anyone that it'll work for them.

because heart burn and acid reflux can be caused by many things and its best to know the root cause, not to mention it can make heartburn/gerd worse. some people produce too much acid and some dont produce enough. knowing which one is key too.its only a temp fix for heartburn. treating any underlying issues that may be causing it is best.

Fortunately, it's few and far between for me. Just a result of the occasional over indulgence. When I was pregnant, that was another story and my obgyn was fine with it. Again, I wasn't recommending it for anyone. I was just answering what I use it for.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Fortunately, it's few and far between for me. Just a result of the occasional over indulgence. When I was pregnant, that was another story and my obgyn was fine with it. Again, I wasn't recommending it for anyone. I was just answering what I use it for.

Who knows why some people woo things. I've seen posts with plain commonly accepted scientific fact and backed up with studies draw woos. Some people just don't want their preconceived notions challenged. Don't take it personally.

Thanks. I know newer folks use it as "woohoo" as well so... They really should make it more clear.

But I also don't mind folks adding caution information and CharlieB gives pretty solid advice.