Apple cider vinegar

Options

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I use a teaspoon in my dark-bread making...keeps the mold at bay. Adds a tad boldnes to the bread, too. Advice tho for those who use it...shake the bottle really well as sediment sinks to the bottom of the bottle.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about using it alone for weight loss. But incorporate it into your diet as something that helps promote weight loss with dieting

Even as part of a balanced diet, it doesn't do anything to facilitate weight loss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about using it alone for weight loss. But incorporate it into your diet as something that helps promote weight loss with dieting

Nope...weight management is actually a very simple thing...

You need XXXX calories to maintain the status quot (calories are the unit of energy used to measure our bodies energy needs). When you consume energy beyond what your body needs, that energy is stored for later use as body fat...it's essentially your backup generator. When you consume less energy than your body requires, something has to make up for that deficiency...so your backup generator kicks on and you burn body fat for energy.

It's just math. Nothing really speeds up that process, and if it does, I can pretty much guarantee you that it's illegal.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Nope...weight management is actually a very simple thing...

You need XXXX calories to maintain the status quot (calories are the unit of energy used to measure our bodies energy needs). When you consume energy beyond what your body needs, that energy is stored for later use as body fat...it's essentially your backup generator. When you consume less energy than your body requires, something has to make up for that deficiency...so your backup generator kicks on and you burn body fat for energy.

It's just math. Nothing really speeds up that process, and if it does, I can pretty much guarantee you that it's illegal.

Cosigned. It is as simple as this. There are no magic bullets to speed up the process.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

If you *believe* it works, it might work--this is known as the placebo effect. For example, if you are motivated enough to gag ACV down twice a day and risk damaging your teeth and esophagus with long term use, you are also likely motivated enough to stick with a nutrition and exercise regimen, so in this case it acts like a magical talisman, when actually, it's just you doing all the hard work and giving credit to something else. The human mind is a very powerful and strange thing.

If you want to dig into the science for a ray of hope, here is a good starting point, recently published in a peer-reviewed nutrition journal. http://jandonline.org/article/S2212-2672(15)00547-X/pdf You can track down all the literature cited and read the article to see if you can find anything that supports effectiveness for weight loss. Or, you can just pay heed to their conclusions, which is the same thing we are telling you here:

"The good news is that vinegar is low in calories (3 kcal per tablespoon)10 and an easy way to flavor foods. While it contributes minimally to the nutrient composition of a meal, the use of vinegar as an ingredient can be part of a healthy meal pattern and a way to limit calories, which can ultimately help with both weight loss and diabetes."
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

If you *believe* it works, it might work--this is known as the placebo effect. For example, if you are motivated enough to gag ACV down twice a day and risk damaging your teeth and esophagus with long term use, you are also likely motivated enough to stick with a nutrition and exercise regimen, so in this case it acts like a magical talisman, when actually, it's just you doing all the hard work and giving credit to something else. The human mind is a very powerful and strange thing.

If you want to dig into the science for a ray of hope, here is a good starting point, recently published in a peer-reviewed nutrition journal. http://jandonline.org/article/S2212-2672(15)00547-X/pdf You can track down all the literature cited and read the article to see if you can find anything that supports effectiveness for weight loss. Or, you can just pay heed to their conclusions, which is the same thing we are telling you here:

"The good news is that vinegar is low in calories (3 kcal per tablespoon)10 and an easy way to flavor foods. While it contributes minimally to the nutrient composition of a meal, the use of vinegar as an ingredient can be part of a healthy meal pattern and a way to limit calories, which can ultimately help with both weight loss and diabetes."

Thank you
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The ACV conversation is interesting. I tried it faithfully (long before 2017) for about a month, did NOT decrease my appetite and actually made my stomach burn.

And the "woo" conversation is even more interesting to me! To me, it's an enthusiastic cheer! Now I wonder the other connotations of it, because sometimes I post it as a comment to people's posts on pounds lost or calories burned. I hope I am not being offensive! What is the other connotation for "woo"? Is it "doubtful"?
  • nicci288693
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Woo is most commonly meant to imply pseudo science or misinformation.

Oops! I've been using it as woohoo! Or YAY!
  • nicci288693
    Options

Oops! I've been using it as woohoo! Or YAY!

Yeah, it's not 'woohoo', that's what 'awesome' is for.

Ok :) thanks
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks @mmapags. I put "woo" on your explanation just to be funny. But really, I'm glad I found that out. That expression isn't used in my part of Ohio. We would say "hooey" or "malarkey". But I got it now. Glad I wasn't only one to misinterpret that! 8zbj2a3sjva3.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    The staff chose to give the Woo button two meanings. If you find this confusion annoying, let them know in Forum Feedback.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570889/new-community-reaction-woo#latest

Hey folks!!

Thank you to everyone who participated in our poll for a new reaction. We had a very clear winner.

The winning vote goes to... Woo!

Since Woo is a different type of reaction than anything we've enabled in the past, we're going to start this off in beta mode.

Woo can mean two things. You can click it both to mean woo as in woo-hoo or to express that you think an idea or approach is too good to be true.

We hope you enjoy the new reaction!!

:heart: The MFP Community Team
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    So the whole "1 tbls a day helps weight loss" is a myth? I've researched it and some doctor's swear it helps, but I don't see them using it to drop weight lol

It's a very clever (and effective!) marketing strategy by Braggs to sell their product, "with the mother." Their little pop up ads are everywhere, and they have gotten a lot of non-science-based bloggers to promote it.

ACV is great stuff--I make my own and use it extensively, but mostly for tasty food preparation and in the bath, and certainly NOT drinking it. :s I generally focus on eating the most pleasant and tasty of things for my nutritional goals, like sauteed brussels sprouts with ACV and bacon, or pulled pork with a vinegar BBQ sauce. :D

I've never seen a link go through to Bragg's. The ones I've seen are for Garcinia or whatever diet pills that use a picture of Bragg's.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So the whole "1 tbls a day helps weight loss" is a myth? I've researched it and some doctor's swear it helps, but I don't see them using it to drop weight lol

It's a very clever (and effective!) marketing strategy by Braggs to sell their product, "with the mother." Their little pop up ads are everywhere, and they have gotten a lot of non-science-based bloggers to promote it.

ACV is great stuff--I make my own and use it extensively, but mostly for tasty food preparation and in the bath, and certainly NOT drinking it. :s I generally focus on eating the most pleasant and tasty of things for my nutritional goals, like sauteed brussels sprouts with ACV and bacon, or pulled pork with a vinegar BBQ sauce. :D

I've never seen a link go through to Bragg's. The ones I've seen are for Garcinia or whatever diet pills that use a picture of Bragg's.

Not necessarily ads on this site, although if it had their branding I probably would assume it was Braggs because I never click on links. I do a lot of old school cooking and organic gardening so have seen them across many sites, and their tag line is ubiquitous. Or maybe it is just following me because I looked at them on Amazon. (puts on tin foil hat).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thanks @mmapags. I put "woo" on your explanation just to be funny. But really, I'm glad I found that out. That expression isn't used in my part of Ohio. We would say "hooey" or "malarkey". But I got it now. Glad I wasn't only one to misinterpret that! 8zbj2a3sjva3.png

Yes, the dictionary link is an example of how it got started. Woowoo got shortened to woo along the way. I was wondering who woo'd that! :p
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

By some people.
    Other people most commonly mean it to abbreviate the congratulatory "Woo Hoo"! As a mental device, it helps to imagine that to be the case for your own woo'd messages.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, since I am a diabetic and some research has found it reduces blood sugar spikes, plus I already owned a jug and like the taste, I tried taking it with meals to see if it lowered my blood glucose readings. Results were mixed. It seemed to make a difference on some occasions and not others. Possibly it was coincidence. My final review is that if it does reduce glucose spikes, it's not consistent enough to rely on.

There was a second study on diabetics which found taking it with cheese in the evenings reduced morning readings. I haven't tried this because I don't want to spend my calories on evening cheese, and my morning readings are okay to begin with.