Where do I start?!

Options
I need help. I've read hundreds of articles, blogs, and websites on weight loss but I don't know where to start. I have little motivation so doing too much at once isn't going to work for me. I don't eat a lot but what I do eat is usually prepackaged, processed food and I don't exercise at all. I have managed to cut out soda for the last week. Any tips and tricks that's helped you get started would be helpful.

Replies

• Lshona
    Lshona Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would recommended cooking at home, & trying to cut out the processed food. Starting with a short walk and slowly increasing over time.
  • RachelWithoutAPaddle
    Options
    One of the very best things I could do for myself when I got started was work with a trainer.

Meal-prepping has also been a great help for me. I get a large sense of satisfaction in making a weeks worth of healthy meals!
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If you are overweight and not losing, you ARE eating a lot. At least, a lot of calories. You may not think you are (I didn't! Because I always skipped meals!) but once I logged what I did have, I was appalled! Some of these foods are calorie dense with little substance. Take peanut butter for instance.. 190 calories in just 2 tbs. most people don't measure out a perfect 2 tbs. They pile it on bread with some honey (another high calorie in a little amount food) or jelly, slap on another slice of bread and poof.. 600-800 calories in one sitting. Not much to EAT but LOADED with calories!

Oils.. Just.. check the back of olive oil.
    Butter.. 100 calories per tablespoon.

See my point? You can easily consume a ton of calories in just a few bites if you are careful. What you need is to measure and log EVERYTHING.

Something else that is a shocker on calories. Ever had a snow cone or slushy? OUCH! And those small fries from mcD's? Ooof!

Ill be happy to help if you want. But yeah, don't read articles. They can't help you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about taking in fewer calories than your body "spends."

The good news is smaller portions of your current food choices = fewer calories. The bad news is perhaps those smaller portions won't be satisfying and you may be miserable or fall off the wagon. One way to combat this is to eat "mostly" regular foods, but tweak your choices here and there. Examples - diet soda in exchange for regular soda - adding veggies to calorie dense dishes (such as mac'n cheese)......add cauliflower, reduce calories for the same serving size. Find these tweaks by measuring & logging your regular diet. This is a great learning experience. This knowledge will also help you maintain your new weight.

You don't have to exercise for weight loss. Exercise because you want to be a healthy person. Exercise and activity makes your body "spend" more calories so you don't have to cut as much.
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I need help. I've read hundreds of articles, blogs, and websites on weight loss but I don't know where to start. I have little motivation so doing too much at once isn't going to work for me. I don't eat a lot but what I do eat is usually prepackaged, processed food and I don't exercise at all. I have managed to cut out soda for the last week. Any tips and tricks that's helped you get started would be helpful.

I'm in no way expert in this as I am currently overweight and novice to this. However I got my username from a quote that has stuck with me. "BACK2BASICS". I am going right back to basics, cutting down my portion sizes, cutting down on junk food and begining to walk regularly at I can. If I can give you any advice, Go slow and be patient. Wish you luck in your way to healthier lifestyle.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Doing too much in the beginning, can sometimes be over whelming. So I say take a few things at a time. You already have started with the soda and coming here. The next thing I would do is start logging your food, weighing, practicing portion control, logging honestly. Make sure your setting for weight loss are not extreme, 1/2 lb, or 1 lb. Or just to get in the habit or logging your for put your settings for maintenance . Once you start logging your food, you see where items need to be cut. You say you eat a lot of packaged food, good in a away because you will be able to scan most of your food with the app.. bad because you will see most packaged foods have way too many calories.
  • Ssumner2001
    Ssumner2001 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    All of you have very good things to consider, thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the insight from everyone. I will do my best to log, that seems to be the general consensus of everyone. I want to start walking, my excuse is I work a lot and when I get home I don't want to leave. Guess I need to get over that.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    want to start walking, my excuse is I work a lot and when I get home I don't want to leave. Guess I need to get over that.

Buy a dog. :p Mine is very demanding about his nightly walk - won't let me get away with skipping it!
  • Gould118
    Gould118 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    That's good that you have cut out the soda! Drink lots of water! Keep going for walks and slowly increase the distance you go each day!
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    One of the very best things I could do for myself when I got started was work with a trainer.

Meal-prepping has also been a great help for me. I get a large sense of satisfaction in making a weeks worth of healthy meals!

This^^^ Get a trainer. Try to find someone online as they will be cheaper and will provide workout and meal plans. I did this when I first started as I was just like you, too much information and I had no idea what to do with it all. Goodluck!
  • KKowalski2008
    KKowalski2008 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I ate the same way you do and had zero motivation to try any exercises or put any effort into a diet. I started slow. First week cutting all fast food, the second week cutting all added sugar from food. I still had been drinking sodas everyday but on the third week I had completely cut off sodas and switched to mostly water with no calorie flavor enhancer. This week I am starting to do a few exercises, only a few simple ones first and will do more and longer after I get into a routine. Just take it slow and find a groove that works for you. I hope you are able to get started!! Keep us updated on your progress.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    A few tips from my 63 days using the app. Promise you I was WAY worse than you are now:

Use the app & log your food intake: this will show you exactly where your calories are coming from. Over time you'll be able to swap out some of the low nutrient density (empty calories) foods for nutritious foods that really satisfy

Set a daily calorie intake target, one that will not leave you feeling hungry, and aim to hit it every day. Don't vary the calories.

If you find yourself getting hungrier over time (a sign that your metabolism is increasing) then bulk your meals out with low calorie foods like mushrooms, cabbage, lettuce

gradually increase your activity level, start going for a walk even 10 minutes counts. Try climbing flights of stairs or step ups and record those cals burned on the app

take measurements like neck, upper arm, calf, thigh as well as bust, waist and hips - you will get motivation from knowing you're getting smaller all over

MOST importantly: buy & cook whole foods from scratch. Ditch the packet & processed foods Ditch as much sugar from your diet as possible. You can eat sweet things like blueberries & cherries which are low in sugar.

A food I found really helpful is the 0% fat Greek Yoghurt which is high in protein, low in cals and you can eat loads of it. Two brands I use are : Fage 0% and Milbona Skyr. Check them out.

Take this from me: you do not need to drop calories to lose weight. Eat filling, nutritious whole foods, consistently with the same number of calories and increase your activity level. I been at it two months and am totally transformed following this plan - which I got from a top 'body transformation' coach. I couldn't see it working at the start.

Oh, yes, that reminds me. He worked out my menus BEFORE I started so I knew exactly what foods I had to shop for. You could do the same. Use the recipe calculator to work out a breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for one day thatcomes to your calorie total. Then shop for the ingredients to make those meals.

I'm pretty much eating the same breakfast every day, have a variation of the same lunch every day and a batch cooked (chilli, stew, curry) with rice for dinner. Then the yoghurt with cooked fruit for snacks.

Good luck! Eat well, eat fresh, eat nutrient dense foods. You can do this.

• theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    You have been given some very sound advice.

I have been an MFP user for two years with a massive 145 pounds to lose.
    I felt overwhelmed. What I did what realise from day that this was a MARATHON NOT A SPRINT!.
    By making a lot of small changes over a lifetime I would achieve my goals.
    This is a lifetime journey. You will learn as you go along.

I have found personally, that meal planning and prepping has helped me achieve many of my goals. I still have 50 pounds to go, but I will get there. It just takes time.

You just keep learning, growing and pushing.
    Good luck
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Make simple changes you can adhere to you don't have to exercise and you can lose on processed food, as long as you log honestly (even condiments, drinks and weigh everything, do not eyeball) and stay at a deficit that's it. Maybe start at 1 pound a week loss and see how you get on?

Maybe further down the road you can change another habit to eating home-cooked food or adding some exercise but for right now just make one change, stick to it and ease yourself into it.

You won't see changes overnight it may be over a year until you get close to goal but as long as you give yourself realistic goals and expectations and don't try to punish yourself by over restricting or making impossible life style changes all in one go, you've got this. x Good luck and welcome to MFP. xxx
  • Ssumner2001
    Ssumner2001 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Such good advice from all of you, thank you. Do you all have any favorite recipes that have helped you along the way? I need something cheap and quick.