Food cravings

Options
I'm engaged with two kids. A 6 year old and a 9 month old and my fiancé is active duty. They all can pretty much eat whatever they want and LOSE weight. I gain weight just by watching them eat it. But they eat whatever they want (minus the 9 month old lol) so I don't limit them because I'm on a diet. I cook them and me sorta different dinners. I eat the meat just differently then they do and I eat a vegetable. But how do you guys control your cravings? (Can't throw it out not an option) I've held onto my willpower so far it's been two months but today I got the need to devour all the cheez it's and chips and candy in the Junk food pantry. I didn't but I wanted too so bad. How do you guys help bust those cravings?

Replies

• saramccartha86
    saramccartha86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    All I can say is willpower and a supportive friend that will talk you off the ledge when you want that junk lol. Posting goals on sticky notes as a reminder to stay on track might help. It just stopped me from eating candy with my son. I also use thrive which has cut my cravings in half.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    @saramccartha86 lol my fiancé is like go ahead of eat some of the cheez it's, you deserve it. I'm like noooooo
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I think it is normal to want to eat yummy food if you are around it.
    Since you can't avoid being around it, all you have left is keep using that will power. Let yourself have some treats every several days to avoid binging due to deprevation.

It is hard. And unpleasant. If it wasn't there wouldn't be so much obesity.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I am pmsing so I just give in and deal with it. To me it's much easier
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    It's almost that time for me as well which might be the reason for the cravings
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Thanks for advice! :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    With treats I'm worried I'll overeat, I make sure to always have at least one 100-150 calorie portion set out in a bag or Tupperware in advance. That way I don't have to fight those cravings in the moment - I just grab my (sometimes depressingly small) portion, log it, eat it slowly, and then give myself time to really think about if a second serving is worth it. Usually it isn't.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could look at your macros for the day before that craving hit. If your day was low in protein and fat and high in carbs, that could be the culprit. You can also crave carbs when you haven't had enough water or enough sleep.

If none of the above sounds right, then maybe you can tell yourself, "I'll have a serving later." Then divert your attention to something else like doing a small chore or calling a friend. Procrastination sets me off balance and makes me crave carbs, but if I just buckle down and do the thing I'm avoiding, the craving goes away. Its a win-win!

If that doesn't sound like it will work, drink some hot tea, meditate, go for a walk, turn on some music - anything to delay eating until the craving goes away.

Every time you don't give in, you get stronger. A lot stronger. Your brain actually physically changes when you choose to not give into temptation. New neural pathways can grow as you are practicing new habits, making right choices easier and easier as the days and weeks go by.

Even though it's hard sometimes you definitely CAN do this! Don't get scared, just keep believing!
  • starbird3
    starbird3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I log the food into my tracking app which will cause me to think twice before eating it. Sometimes just seeing the calories makes me stop. Sometimes it still fits into my range if I adjust the portion. I figure it makes me consider if it's worth it before I shove it into my mouth!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I mean I could afford a small serving but to me it isn't worth it, but I feel as if I'll binge. Which would absolute devastate me. But I was actually cooking dinner in the moment and I said I'll eat something it will just be healthier. I ate and I was perfectly okay after that. But I just get these moments where it's like maybe I should stop out to eat like at my favorite Chinese restaurant, which is loaded in carbs and calories, or maybe I could just have a bite out of that. So far I have not caved in but it's getting harder and harder.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    It's almost that time for me as well which might be the reason for the cravings

Like many women, my appetite goes up premenstrually and I eat at maintenance for a few days around that time.

This is when I have Chinese food as well.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I mean I could afford a small serving but to me it isn't worth it, but I feel as if I'll binge. Which would absolute devastate me. But I was actually cooking dinner in the moment and I said I'll eat something it will just be healthier. I ate and I was perfectly okay after that. But I just get these moments where it's like maybe I should stop out to eat like at my favorite Chinese restaurant, which is loaded in carbs and calories, or maybe I could just have a bite out of that. So far I have not caved in but it's getting harder and harder.

How many pounds away from your goal weight are you and what is your weekly weight loss goal set to?
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Yeah it's normally around about the 23rd, so it might be that! Man it sucks.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Yeah it's normally around about the 23rd, so it might be that! Man it sucks.

/shrug/

That's when I get all my deep cleaning done :smiley:
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Hahahaha that sounds like a good idea I think the floors need washed lol
  • saramccartha86
    saramccartha86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @saramccartha86 lol my fiancé is like go ahead of eat some of the cheez it's, you deserve it. I'm like noooooo

Don't you hate that lol
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly concerned by your mention of cooking different dinners, you adding "a vegetable" and making something "healthier" for yourself. Regardless of whether your fiancé and 6 year old are at a healthy weight or not, surely you want to eat them to eat nutritious food for their health?

Perhaps if you fed them more like you want to eat (just more, or with some extras) you wouldn't have stress of prep and having so much other food around?