Food cravings

Options
2»

Replies

• missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I budget in a snack (usually 150-300 calories' worth) into most days and pre-log those snacks into my diary, to the extent that they fit within my calorie goal. I don't really have cravings to binge on lots of treats/snacks anymore since I'm allowing myself a small snack most days. It's easier for me to stay on track with my calorie deficit and with snack cravings knowing that, for example, I've pre-logged a serving of ice cream for tomorrow, and the following day 1 oz of chips.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    My fiancé and son will eat vegetables. I just mainly eat raw green peppers because they're my favorite and my family doesn't like them. There's no stress in preparation because it takes like a minute to cut up a green pepper. There's no cooking time or anything.
  • Nikitazilla
    Nikitazilla Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could look at your macros for the day before that craving hit. If your day was low in protein and fat and high in carbs, that could be the culprit. You can also crave carbs when you haven't had enough water or enough sleep.

If none of the above sounds right, then maybe you can tell yourself, "I'll have a serving later." Then divert your attention to something else like doing a small chore or calling a friend. Procrastination sets me off balance and makes me crave carbs, but if I just buckle down and do the thing I'm avoiding, the craving goes away. Its a win-win!

If that doesn't sound like it will work, drink some hot tea, meditate, go for a walk, turn on some music - anything to delay eating until the craving goes away.

Every time you don't give in, you get stronger. A lot stronger. Your brain actually physically changes when you choose to not give into temptation. New neural pathways can grow as you are practicing new habits, making right choices easier and easier as the days and weeks go by.

Even though it's hard sometimes you definitely CAN do this! Don't get scared, just keep believing!

This. I thought I would be a binger ( is that a word?) and a craver forever, but when I hit my macros ( lower carb, higher protein + fat) the cravings disappeared. Mindless eating is an entirely different thing, but with the Macro business, I really have no cravings to fight anymore.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could look at your macros for the day before that craving hit. If your day was low in protein and fat and high in carbs, that could be the culprit. You can also crave carbs when you haven't had enough water or enough sleep.

If none of the above sounds right, then maybe you can tell yourself, "I'll have a serving later." Then divert your attention to something else like doing a small chore or calling a friend. Procrastination sets me off balance and makes me crave carbs, but if I just buckle down and do the thing I'm avoiding, the craving goes away. Its a win-win!

If that doesn't sound like it will work, drink some hot tea, meditate, go for a walk, turn on some music - anything to delay eating until the craving goes away.

Every time you don't give in, you get stronger. A lot stronger. Your brain actually physically changes when you choose to not give into temptation. New neural pathways can grow as you are practicing new habits, making right choices easier and easier as the days and weeks go by.

Even though it's hard sometimes you definitely CAN do this! Don't get scared, just keep believing!

This. I thought I would be a binger ( is that a word?) and a craver forever, but when I hit my macros ( lower carb, higher protein + fat) the cravings disappeared. Mindless eating is an entirely different thing, but with the Macro business, I really have no cravings to fight anymore.

I will also add: I work in an office where there is a table with junk food on it (stuff people bring back from holidays or just because), as well as a nearly bottomless supply of biscuits/cookies and a coffee machine that makes lattes. I'm a grazer, especially if I'm not doing a lot of physical activity (so, like, if I'm working at my computer) and these were all a major part of how I ended up regaining a bunch of weight. So now I keep a very nice stash of tea at my desk. If the chocolates start calling my name, I brew a cup of caffeine-free Chai Rooibos tea. Someone's brought in scones with jam and cream? Lemon ginger tea or a fruity rosehip tea. For those mid-afternoon boredom munchies, I find just a mug of hot water is very comforting (I do that at night, too.)

Sometimes it's the mouthfeel or the serotonin reward of fat and sugar, but for me at least, it's frequently just hydrating and having something warm.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I love junk food. I can't buy a bag of chips for myself whthout eating the whole bag at once.

I can, however, eat only one serving if I measure it out the bag/box/whatever into individual servings before I start eating it. I was really really surprised at that, because I just KNEW I was going to go back and grab a second bag, then a third... But the bag lasted me for over a week doing this.

Try portioning out your snacks, even for the rest of the family, they can grab multiple bags of they want. Then try grabbing just one once a day if it fits into your calories.

If you DO binge then you know that won't work right now, and you need to avoid the food entirely for a while. If it does work, then you can still have a few cheeze-its once in a while.

If you do binge it's not a failure, it's just a temporary blip. You'll eat a thousand calories or so, gain less than half a pound, which you can lose again. You'll slow down your weight loss some, but you won't have ruined everything. You'll just have learned something.

It's worth a try. Or would be for me. It's a judgment call for you. Unless you plan on avoiding snack food for the rest of your life.

If you have to avoid them but still want something salty and crunchy near your period look up roasted and salted chickpeas (Most beans are able 120 calories a cup) or roast and salt sugar snap peas. (It should work for them too, and they are quite low in calories, I think my whole bag of them is less Thabo a hundred calories) you coat them with oil (a quick spray of pam is all you need), shake salt and pepper, or whatever you like on them, shake to coat, and then bake at 350/400 until brown and crispy. I don't have a time for you, you'll have to watch the oven and remember to stir then every so often. So crunchy and good. Does take a while, but make then the day before and keep them in the fridge.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    They are not "food cravings". They are "eat compulsions".
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    What works for me is buying the "junk food" then packaging it into individual servings, in Ziploc baggies or something else. I am way more likely to stick to one serving that way then if I have the whole box of cheez its in front of me.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Learn to fast for the earlier part of the day. You can get a fasting app like Zero Fasting (iPhone) or Vora (Android) and try to make a game for yourself to not eat breakfast. Push your lunch to like 1pm.

Have some Powerade Zero (0 cal) on hand to train yourself during fast times until you can do them with black coffee or water.

The Powerade Zero is also sweet, so it may help with the sweets cravings. I recommend the orange and strawberry flavors.