Wanting to eat more fish except salmon...any ideas?

Options
sakram373
sakram373 Posts: 11 Member
Fuss free recommendations would be great.
Looking for Simple tasty food with Easy prep and Quick cooking

Thanks

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Salmon is my favorite, but I also love swordfish, because it is also a nice dense "steak" fish, rare seared tuna is also a love of mine.

Trout is great, though I prefer it smoked.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Mackerel is cheap and easy - either broil or pan grill after wash, dry, pat with salt. Either use a non-stick pan or a little oil/butter.

Golden Pompano is my favorite right now, just pan grill, squeeze of lemon, maybe some fruit salsa. I like dragonfruit salsa, just lime juice, dragonfruit, fresh cilantro, maybe some tomatillo.

The main thing is to find a good fish market, if you have good fresh fish, you don't need to worry about prep, just bake or grill.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am fussy about my fish. I prefer a mild tasting flesh.

I suggest frozen cod and halibut as well as chunk white tuna packed in water. This comes from a prairie girl where it is tough to get fresh product from the sea.

Fish cooks faster than other meats so watch that you don't overcook. It's ready as soon as it flakes.

My favourite way to have tuna is mixed with hummus over a dark leafy salad. A little vinaigrette is good too.

Another fast easy way to prepare fish is to wrap it in parchment with some lemon juice, butter, salt and herbs.

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with salmon? It's delicious!!

I also love swordfish, halibut and shark which are all denser fish with texture more like chicken. Many ways to prepare them, but wrapped in foil with lemon and onion then grilled on the barbie is the best. I also enjoy rockfish or snapper lightly breaded with herb seasoned crumbs and baked in the oven. I'll eat trout if I catch it myself, otherwise it's a big pain to get all the pin bones out. (Willing to do that for my own catch but won't buy it.)

I know tilapia is all the rage these days, but I don't care for it at all. Funky taste in my opinion. Same feeling about catfish.
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    With salmon there’s a big difference in flavor and texture between wild caught and farmed salmon. I will pay the extra money for the wild salmon, but can’t eat the farmed stuff.

Otherwise, Ahi Tuna is a fish that has just as much nutrients as salmon and have a lighter meatier flavor.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I fully agree on the mackerel, very versatile though it is pretty strongly flavoured. I also really like haddock, tilapia, trout, sea bass... Those are if you're using fish as a main point of the meal. We always have anchovies and sardines on hand to mix into pasta sauces and soups, or to mix with cooked vegetables, for a nice kick of the Omega-3s and healthy oils.

My partner's pan-seared rainbow trout with flaked almonds is AMAZING, and it's pretty much just that: gutted and cleaned rainbow trout (we keep it on the bone but no heads, I'm funny that way), a little oil in the pan and a sprinkling of flaked almonds. That with some steamed broccoli, maybe some parsnips, oh my.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to go back and forth between wild salmon and ahi tuna. Pan seared in Olive oil and usually have some seed mix to encrust it. Weired thing is I now use some wasabi on the side for both.
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I like tilapia in fish tacos. Low carb tortillas, some guacamole, mango salsa, and a touch of sour cream - really good!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I eat blackened halibut often. Just coat with blackening seasoning and saute. Can't get any easier.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I eat salmon, mahi, cod, and shrimp mostly...

Most of the recipes I used I found on pinterest...or I just throw it on the grill with some seasonings.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Pick a fish or seafood, take tinfoil, at a little evoo, put down fish, season it throw veggies on top example:broccoli, cauliflower, thinner carrots, brussel sprouts etc then close the tinfoil make a sealed pouch and bake in the oven. Voila instant meal and you can do a few pouches at a time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would see what the seafood counter has that day, but I'm a sucker for salmon! Season and grill, make a salad & veggies. Not much easier than that.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The world's oceans cannot handle the amount of seafood we consume as it is, so I'd recommend limiting your intake to farmed sustainable sources of seafood. Although, even that can be troublesome as those fish are often fed a diet that makes them less healthy than their wild cousins.

If you can get it, Lion Fish is the most amazing tasting fish, and it is a real problem for our oceans here, so try some of that. I guarantee you'll love it because it is so sweet and firm but yet flaky.

Instead of asking yourself, what should I eat, ask yourself this - what type of fish is sustainably harvested and is low in mercury that I can eat?

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/food-and-our-planet/suzukis-top-10-sustainable-seafood-picks/
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I cooked a fab (and also cheap and fish-stock friendly) meal the other day:

Gently fried up Onions, courgettes, tomato, korma curry paste and put some defrosted frozen coley portions in, with a bit of yoghurt to finish.

Will definitely have this one again!
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This depends pretty much entirely on where you live. I stock up on salmon often but I too sometimes get sick of it.

If I were rich I'd eat halibut and sea bass everyday. In other parts of the world these may be cheap but they sure are not where I live. Other fish are certain kinds of snapper (smother in olive oil and salt and baked, stuffed with lemon slices, grape tomatoes, some thyme) cod (for a delicate fish soup). Trout is a favorite of mine, and sole is nice too.

But again, depends entirely on where you live and what's available.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Tuna packed in olive oil works for me daily.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Excellent TED talk! Thanks for sharing.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I love COD. It is my favorite. It is a very mild tasting fish. I just pan fry it in a little olive oil. Very simple and fast.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Chard is good, so is haddock