Wanting to eat more fish except salmon...any ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• jacoughlin75
    jacoughlin75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cod or Pollock
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Cod is great because it's inexpensive and has a mild flavor. I buy the loins because they are firm and hold together well. I usually mix equal parts of blackening seasoning with flour and dredge the fish in it then pan fry in a small amount of butter (doesn't take much, about 1-2 Tbsp per pound). This makes great fish tacos served with avocado, shredded cabbage and a bit of siracha mayo.
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Almost any fish, as long as it has a skin side attached, rubbed with a jerk paste (Love Grace's) or jerk seasoning and BBQ'ed with the skin side down. If you like to eat the skin, just don't crank the heat up too high, if you are going to toss the skin, flame away :-)

I find for anyone who isn't really into fish (me) or has issues with it, this just rocks! Flames plus spices equals delicious <3
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    While I love Salmon/Trout/Char done simply - Salt, Herbs, broiled for about 10 minutes. Always done to perfection. Yesterday served with a sorrel caper sauce...but you said, not salmon. While the same family you get so many variations...each is different in consistency and taste (and fat content).

Will do salmon on cedar plank or wrapped in elder wood (paper thin wood) and the bbq. Smoked (broil king keg) walleye this summer.

We cook lots of other fish:
    From the lake it is perch, crappie, walleye and bass done with salt and olive oil
    Sichuan style in a hot pot or Similar - typically basa
    Any white fish cooked in foil with capers, green olives, lemon juice and salt...some herbs if you have them
    Grouper steamed in fish soy sauce topped with spicy pickled mustard greens
    Fish in red or green thai curry - can use any fish...thicker holds up better
    blackened catfish
    Jamie Oliver's fishy pie
    raw tuna as a Poke - make my own taro chips to serve with it...wasabi mayo and tobiko to garnish

Today I made Indian. Served the Basa in a Anchar Ghosht curry, along with Chana Masala and Pav Bhaji

I could substitute shrimp for most of the recipes.

Of course, I sometimes just go to the market and see something fun and cook it...