How do i get my protein levels up?!

Options
Any advice for getting your protein levels up? Having a rough time figuring that out. I can have poultry and eggs but no red meat or pork.
I feel like ive been eating so much nuts and pb. I got some tofu today that im planning to make for tomorrow.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How much do you need and how much are you getting?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    In addition to what you've listed: Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, hard cheeses, dairy full stop really... tempeh, seitan, beans and legumes, and there is always protein powder (some people prefer not to drink their calories because they don't find it as filling as solid food, but I make my protein shakes with milk and find them super satiating, also, milkshake...).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lentils, pinto beans, black beans, chickpeas, tofu, tempeh, soy milk, edamame, broccoli, quinoa, chia seeds, broccoli, kale, mushrooms, asparagus, hemp seeds, Swiss chard, broccoli rabe, romaine,
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/black-bean-burger-2593312
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Also kefir
  • kingdonle
    kingdonle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Supplement with 2 scoops of protein powder - I have a shake everyday with protein powder, yoghurt, berries and almond milk. It gives me around 25g extra protein.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder.
  • daisyfields79
    daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just started to add a protein powder into my diet, it's 100 calories per scoop, I think it taste gross but doable if mixed with ice lol give me 17 more grams a day.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I add a decent protein powder to things. Do research and find one that's been independently tested and confirmed to match what they say is in it - some are not nearly as full of protein as they claim.

If that's too expensive powdered nonfat milk is a good substitute - find it in the baking aisle. 80 calories for 8 grams of protein. You can add it to things like any protein powder, though it may not dissolve as well.

But my favorite protein powder is 19 grams of protein/100 calories so I prefer to add that to oatmeal/smoothies/milk/whatever. It even tastes good with a fruity no-calorie drink.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I just started to add a protein powder into my diet, it's 100 calories per scoop, I think it taste gross but doable if mixed with ice lol give me 17 more grams a day.

I use flavoured powder (I've tried at least a dozen flavoures so far) and blend it with milk, banana and spinach. It is EXTREMELY tasty. My yummiest meal of the day. I just had pecan pie flavour!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Eggs eggs eggs! I add egg whites to pretty much anything I cook. Soups, sauces, even oatmeal. Is there a more cost effective protein boost?
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    0% fat greek yoghurt, 11% protein

arla, fage or milbona brands

can eat loads for few calories and its really nice

venison meat is only about 1.5 to 2% fat, I have replaced all my red meat with it

tastes great and can eat more to get the protein in with fewer calories than beef etc
  • christys03
    christys03 Posts: 22,784 Member
    Options
    Protein powders.....casein is pretty high...have that b4 bed ....lots of egg whites hardboiled and scrambled.....i stay away from nuts and pb as they have high fat content...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Any advice for getting your protein levels up? Having a rough time figuring that out. I can have poultry and eggs but no red meat or pork.
    I feel like ive been eating so much nuts and pb. I got some tofu today that im planning to make for tomorrow.

Of all the things you mentioned, poultry is the best source of protein for the amount calories to protein. How often do you eat chicken?

What about fish?

Nuts and PB are a better source of fat than protein. Really only vegans should consider these as protein sources - they can better afford it because they are not getting calories from cheese and meat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Of all the things you mentioned, poultry is the best source of protein for the amount calories to protein. How often do you eat chicken?

What about fish?

Nuts and PB are a better source of fat than protein. Really only vegans should consider these as protein sources - they can better afford it because they are not getting calories from cheese and meat.

And even for vegans, the amount of protein relative for the calories makes it hard for vegans on a deficit to use them as a major source of protein. If a vegan is trying to eat lower calorie, it's usually easier to consider these as fat.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Today I have 166g of protein. I had 1 cup of egg whites, 2 whole eggs, a skyr yogurt, 150g of ground chicken, 2 scoops of protein powder. The rest came from veggies and grains/almond milk.

Most days I don't need two scoops of protein. We are going through a freak heat wave and mixing it with almond milk and ice makes me feel like I'm drinking a milkshake lol
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

I use flavoured powder (I've tried at least a dozen flavoures so far) and blend it with milk, banana and spinach. It is EXTREMELY tasty. My yummiest meal of the day. I just had pecan pie flavour!

where on earth did you get pecan pie protein powder????