Flaxseed on keto

Options
How do you use flaxseed on keto? I tried the flaxseed tortilla (ground flaxseed, egg, baking powder) and it taste horrible.

Replies

• Tsoggo
    Tsoggo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    And that was the reason why I bought this bag of flaxseed. Now I'm trying to find a good use on my flax seed lol
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of flaxseed. Some items are good cooked in one fashion but vile in other fashions. Google flaxseed recipes and try them each out. Just adjust the ingredients to make sample sizes.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Keto but I use flaxseed in a lot of foods. It adds a nice grainy texture to anything that's smooth/creamy. I have mixed it in protein pancakes (made from egg whites and protein powder), in steel cut oats and Greek yogurt.
  • Tsoggo
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I'm not on Keto but I use flaxseed in a lot of foods. It adds a nice grainy texture to anything that's smooth/creamy. I have mixed it in protein pancakes (made from egg whites and protein powder), in steel cut oats and Greek yogurt.

I want to mix it with oats but I can't have oats xD. Greek yogurt sounds great
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for flaxseed muffins that I really enjoy, both when I did do keto and now that I'm off it too. Let me find the recipe and I'll post it.
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    This might be useful? Discusses using sprouted flaxseeds as a better way of eating them

https://youtu.be/gHbP94N7PmA
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    grind them up and use the powder in foods you like too. they will come out whole if you dont grind them. I just get flaxseed meal or ground flaxseed.
  • Tsoggo
    Options
    grind them up and use the powder in foods you like too. they will come out whole if you dont grind them. I just get flaxseed meal or ground flaxseed.

I grind them already with a blender. I don't know where to use them
  • mrsbarnett1012
    Options
    2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
    1 large egg, beaten
    0.25 tsp ground cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
    0.25 tsp baking powder
    1 Tbsp butter

Mix ingredients together in small ceramic (microwave safe) dish (such as crème brulee sized) and microwave for about 1 minute til done. I liked topping mine with coconut manna and fresh raspberries. You can also add some blueberries into the mix, just add a few extra seconds to the cooking time.
    Topping with PB or more plain butter would be good too. I eat them warm.

You can also multiply the recipe easily and bake them in the oven in a typical muffin tin if you end up liking them too for easy grab and go later.

For a non-keto version just subbed the butter for applesauce! Equally delicious both ways! I may have to make these again soon.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Some people add them to smoothies. I tried them, but felt like I was adding calories with no taste benefit. I preferred hemp hearts (although even there it would be for oats, which I don't eat when LCHFing, or maybe to toss in a smoothie).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I suppose there are probably recipes where they are used like bread crumbs, maybe on fish or fried green tomatoes or some such. I'd google low carb recipe flaxseed.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jadebuniel wrote: »

I grind them already with a blender. I don't know where to use them

ahh gotcha. Im not keto but I use them in smoothies,my oats, yogurt. Id rather have chia seeds though lol. anything you want to make thicker you can add some flax to as well.I have also used it in my pancakes but that would be a no go on keto lol. I second the looking up recipes.
  • Tsoggo
    Options
    2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
    1 large egg, beaten
    0.25 tsp baking powder
    1 Tbsp butter

Mix ingredients together in small ceramic (microwave safe) dish (such as crème brulee sized) and microwave for about 1 minute til done. I liked topping mine with coconut manna and fresh raspberries. You can also add some blueberries into the mix, just add a few extra seconds to the cooking time.

You can also multiply the recipe easily and bake them in the oven in a typical muffin tin if you end up liking them too for easy grab and go later.

For a non-keto version just subbed the butter for applesauce! Equally delicious both ways! I may have to make these again soon.

This doesn't taste eggy? I made tortilla with almost the same ingredients and it came out just an egg topped with flax seed
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'm not keto but I use them in smoothies. They are very anti inflammatory.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I use ground flaxseed to make a pizza style base. It’s not bad
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me - need to give that super-sized bag of flaxseed to a relative. One time though I toasted Ezeekiel break, put squished avocado on top and then the flaxseed. Wasn't too bad. But I am still gonna get rid of it.
  • mrsbarnett1012
    Options
    Tsoggo wrote: »
    2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
    1 large egg, beaten
    0.25 tsp baking powder
    1 Tbsp butter

This doesn't taste eggy? I made tortilla with almost the same ingredients and it came out just an egg topped with flax seed

No, I don't think it tastes very eggy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Some people add them to smoothies. I tried them, but felt like I was adding calories with no taste benefit. I preferred hemp hearts (although even there it would be for oats, which I don't eat when LCHFing, or maybe to toss in a smoothie).

Ya, I add flaxseed to smoothies for the calories, fiber, and phytoestrogens.

I agree that there is no taste benefit.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I tried flax focaccia. Terrible. An alternative to grinding is roasting. Bodies can digest them whole when roasted, and it adds a nice taste. I like them on fruit&yogurt.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I get them at Winco foods bulk section for $1.10 proud and grind my own. Add 1 ounce to my protein shakes