Seeking support and motivation for grandmothers trying to get healthy and fit

Options

Replies

• joandawson4833
    joandawson4833 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. JoanD here . I have changed my eating habits and I love knowing the nutritional status of the foods I eat. 1200 calories is TOO much food for me at my age and activity level so I'm not losing weight. I'm sedentary because of chronic arthritic pain, 24/7, which surpasses any desire that I might have to be more active. I do chair exercises sometimes, but that's all. I need to eat fewer calories . Can I decrease the calories myself and remain in the program?.or will I be denied access to food charts and information. I want to remain a member of the program . Please advise me on what to do. Thanks, JoanD.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your question specifically, but you can always set to 1200 and eat a little less. 1200 isn't very much, though.
  • Sunnyme333
    Sunnyme333 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    JoanD
    I don't think you will have any trouble. Do as marsellient suggested set calories for 1200 and record less. MFP will still keep track of how many calories you are eating.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Age 63, grandma to 4, trying to find a job in a new career - certified medical assistant. My former career of medical transcriptionist evaporated when I was 59, too young to retire. So I decided to start again and went back to school, graduating at the top of my class. Turns out not too many people want to hire somebody as old as I am (or something; who knows?). I have the second part of an interview tomorrow, so fingers crossed I've finally found a clinic that will give me a chance.

I love my husband, 2 children, and 4 grandchildren, but I'm not getting fit for anybody but me. I was diagnosed with prediabetes and borderline blood pressure recently and am determined to get ahead of the bad habits that have led to being at least 40-50 pounds overweight as well as the already-mentioned diagnoses. I'm only 6 days into this current attempt but have been an only sporadically active member of MFP for several years.
  • Sunnyme333
    Options
    Welcome new members. :)
    I've been recording my food for awhile now. Struggling to stay on plan. Depression and fibromyalgia pain make me want to eat off plan. But good news steps are really improved. And I'm hoping that helps the area I need a little work . If anyone wants to be friends with me in spite of my struggle ,just let me know. No problem if you don't.

• Sunnyme333
    Options
    food for thought :
    "I HOLD MY HEAD HIGH"

I think being a grandma has helped in this area. I accept my body image better now than when I was younger. It's all in the way we think of ourselves. <3
  • kathskelly53
    kathskelly53 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi 64 year old granny with 5 grandchildren ages from 5 to 18. Have been struggling over the past two months, emotionally eating way to much, am going to start again in the morning tracking and planning wish me luck
  • Sunnyme333
    Options
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

"" I AM A STRONG AND DETERMINE PERSON""
  • Sunnyme333
    Options
    What this means to me is: I can and will get on top of Emotional Eating (EE ) again by:
    A. Focus on the positives even the small ones.I will get back to writing down on a posty note at least 3 thing that were positive for the day. Putting them in a pretty tin box I found at a thrift store.
    B. Dig out my problem solving note book. There I can write what's bothering me and see what options are available for me to solve it or to accept that there is nothing to be none.

C. If I"m still craving more food after I have eaten than I know it's not about hunger. And no amount of food will solve the craving. What do I really need or want is the real question I need to ask myself.
    Sorry I got to long winded :smile: :smile:
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I am a 60yo grandmother of almost 4. I am a type 1 diabetic with a goal of 50lbs to lose.
    My one sadness is my son and family is in ohio and daughter family is in new jersey with me and my husband in california.
    MFP is my bible right now as of 2 weeks with a 2.5lb loss so far! Got to be healthy and lighter with all the traveling to be done!
    Mentally with just 2 weeks under my belt I feel so much better mentally and physically...is that really possible??
    Grandmas out there just how successful have you all been cause I cannot relate to 20 and 30 somethings! Show us your success please!
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This Grandma gig is the greatest, isn't it? Mine are too little to predict much of their future but it will include me on the floor or in the park, playing with them and making joyous moments.
  • Sunnyme333
    Options
    Oma827
    I remember that time well. Enjoy, they grow so fast. Glad we took lots of photos. We have 2 grandkid's.
  • marsellient
    Options
    Good morning! I'm struggling to get back to logging and weighing in even though I know that's what I need to do. We've just finished a renovation and have just about got everything in place, so now would be a good time. I like your emotional eating ideas, Sunnyme333.
    This week, I'm going to be able to get back into some kind of routine, and a daily walk is something I find helpful. I'm fortunate to be able to stay active and go to exercise classes a couple of time a week, but it's mostly strength and flexibility training so the walking is necessary. Time to bundle up (I live in Ontario, Canada) and get at it.
    What goals does everyone else have this week?
  • kathskelly53
    kathskelly53 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi marsellient I’m trying to get back into the routine of planning and logging, i am from the uk spent a few weeks in Nova Scotia in September, weather was glorious, haven’t been able to get back into a routine since we got back. Hopefully that’s all about to change.
    Love some of your ideas sunnyme333.
    We can do this ❤️
  • marsellient
    Options
    kathskelly53, Nova Scotia is a great place to visit. Funny, I spent three weeks in the UK and Ireland last summer! I've tried to get back on track several times, but just like to eat and drink too much. Add in elder care issues, a new grandson too far away, and a daughter with some hard decisions to make soon, and I find myself making excuses. I did so well for so long that I know I can do it again. I'm going to get out for my walk tomorrow, as I find that really helps. The next step will be to face the truth and get on the scales. Daily weigh ins work for me.
  • Sunnyme333
    Options
    When I lost my 70lb I used Wii fit as my exercise routine. I would have to weight in daily. Because of the health issues I was dealing with at the time I was glad of the weight ins. I was losing weight really fast because I couldn't eat very much. The scale helped me to accept the thinner me. I have to confess when I weight the same as when I got married I had Sister in law take photos of me. I had a blast. I had no say in how much weight I would lose only God and my tummy knew the answer to that. Good news I'm not as sick as back than,
    but its a bummy to have put some of the weight back on. Today I'm happy to thirst for water instead of sweets. It's a good day.
  • Sunnyme333
    Options
    Exercise first thing in morning.
    drink more water
    journal food good and bad.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    We have an over 50 group here.

Not all of us are grandparents - I have kids but they aren't married.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm from Northern Ireland and I am a brand spanking new grandma as of 26/9/17 :smile: my son and DIL had the most precious little boy who is called Harris. He was born with Hydrocephalus, had surgery at 5 days old but he is a fighter and is doing so well. We are all besotted with this addition to our family :smile: <3

I've been on MFP since 2012 and I've been in maintenance since 2013 (lost almost 30lbs).

Hello everyone *waves* :smiley:

I no longer log my food for the majority of the time (stopped doing that over a year ago and its going well), I realise this doesn't work for everyone but as I eat similar things every single day and don't veer much off track I find it fairly easy to maintain my weight.

I am consistent at exercising, you'll find me pedalling on my stationary bike every morning while I catch up on TV :smiley: I used to be a runner until my knees gave me ongoing issues. Biking instead has resolved that thankfully.

I would have loved to have changed my profile name but they only allow you to change it once :/

Have a great week everyone.

Ruth
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    We have an over 50 group here.

Not all of us are grandparents - I have kids but they aren't married.

and some of us are grandparents and haven't reached 50 yet.....