Why do I look like I don't lift? Skinny guy bulking

Options
2»

Replies

• yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    javisho wrote: »
    Hi guys. Since I was a kid i have been the skinny type of guy. Last year I started bulking aiming to gain 5 lbs per week. The last months I've been more persistent and disciplined. I was 142 lbs and right now I am 178. But people always tell me I don't look like I lift and that makes me feel kinda sad because I give my best every day in the gym. So that being said I dont know if I have a high bf percentage and maybe thats the reason my chest arms etc.. Dont look defined. My goal was to be 195 pounds or 200 ans cut to a shredded level ( at least see my abs popping and have a nice beach body) but with all these comments idk if I have been doing it the right way this whole year and a half. I workout 5-6 days a week and my reps are mostly in a range of 6 to 12. 3 days hit legs and the rest upper body.

First, come up with a more realistic goal.

Second, if you are over 20% you need to cut because you are not bulking you are just fattening up.

Third, once you are down to a shredded level (which would probably be around your starting weight) go on a slow bulk.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    6' and 178 is not heavy.

You don't look like you lift because you are not bulky.

If you are fairly lean you will not look massive wearing clothes but it doesn't mean you are not muscular.

Frank Zane was not impressive wearing clothing. If you saw him on the street you would not have even noticed him and yet he was Mr. Olympia 3 times. He was 5'9" and 178 at this peak contest condition and around 200 normally.

You are training too often doing 5-6 times a week.

Train 2-3 times a week on a full body routine with basic movements. You won't grow training 5-6 times a week. That's ok if you are trying to lose weight but not if you are trying to build yourself up.

• javisho
    javisho Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    why did you think gaining 5lb per week would be a good idea?!

I just realized I didnt ad the "." .5 pounds per week is what I was aiming to gain. I know, that was my bad.
  • javisho
    javisho Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Since I was a kid i have been the skinny type of guy. Last year I started bulking aiming to gain 5 lbs per week. The last months I've been more persistent and disciplined. I was 142 lbs and right now I am 178. But people always tell me I don't look like I lift and that makes me feel kinda sad because I give my best every day in the gym. So that being said I dont know if I have a high bf percentage and maybe thats the reason my chest arms etc.. Dont look defined. My goal was to be 195 pounds or 200 ans cut to a shredded level ( at least see my abs popping and have a nice beach body) but with all these comments idk if I have been doing it the right way this whole year and a half. I workout 5-6 days a week and my reps are mostly in a range of 6 to 12. 3 days hit legs and the rest upper body.

A couple of things here.... You say you were aiming for 5 pounds a week and started "last year". You only gained 36 pounds. That is a LOT less than 5 pounds a week. It would have only taken you about two months to gain those 36# at the rate claimed. So, when did you ACTUALLY start your bulk and program? ... and what has your actual rate of weight gain been?

You are 178# at 6' and claim about 20% or higher BF. You do realized that 178# at that bf % is still pretty darned skinny? Of course you aren't going to look like you lift, especially with clothes on. It's a start, but you have a long ways to go before people think you are "big" at that height. Alternately, 178# with a very low BF % would look pretty good shirtless. ;)

Also, how have your main lifts progressed? Where did you start and where are you now.

I forgot to type the dot. .5 lbs per week is my range of gain. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Now with that said. 178 lbs for a 6ft guy with 20 to 22 aprox bfp is still normal? Would you suggest me keep on bulking or cut a little fat
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

A couple of things here.... You say you were aiming for 5 pounds a week and started "last year". You only gained 36 pounds. That is a LOT less than 5 pounds a week. It would have only taken you about two months to gain those 36# at the rate claimed. So, when did you ACTUALLY start your bulk and program? ... and what has your actual rate of weight gain been?

You are 178# at 6' and claim about 20% or higher BF. You do realized that 178# at that bf % is still pretty darned skinny? Of course you aren't going to look like you lift, especially with clothes on. It's a start, but you have a long ways to go before people think you are "big" at that height. Alternately, 178# with a very low BF % would look pretty good shirtless. ;)

Also, how have your main lifts progressed? Where did you start and where are you now.

I forgot to type the dot. .5 lbs per week is my range of gain. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Now with that said. 178 lbs for a 6ft guy with 20 to 22 aprox bfp is still normal? Would you suggest me keep on bulking or cut a little fat

It's probably the normal bodyfat range for a young 6ft male. If you are going to bulk, you should start at 12-15% BF.

Would suggest eating at maintenance (maybe a slight, 100 calories a day or so, surplus), while lifting until your BF gets around 13%, then bulk.
  • draftsman28
    draftsman28 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    OP what lifting program are you following? A young natural lifter should be able to gain 2 pounds of muscle a month following a solid program. Contrary to popular belief bulking muscle is a lot of hard work that can take years for people to 'see'.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Jesus dude. 5 lbs per week would result in a shitload of fat gain even for someone pushing the needle nitrous.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    why did you think gaining 5lb per week would be a good idea?!

Because I am a hard gainer. I have a very fast metabolism. So losing weight for me is rather easy.
    Gaining weight is easy, gaining muscle is tougher. Just because you gained 5 lbs a week, it doesn't mean you gained anywhere near 5 lbs of muscles. I guarantee you most of it is fat. Next time you bulk (once you cut down your body fat), you should aim to gain somewhere about 0,5-1 lb (since you are new lifter) per week, there is no need to go higher, it will be mostly fat.

The op made an error and corrected it to
    0.5. He forgot the dot!