Why do I look like I don't lift? Skinny guy bulking

Options
javisho
javisho Posts: 12 Member
Hi guys. Since I was a kid i have been the skinny type of guy. Last year I started bulking aiming to gain 5 lbs per week. The last months I've been more persistent and disciplined. I was 142 lbs and right now I am 178. But people always tell me I don't look like I lift and that makes me feel kinda sad because I give my best every day in the gym. So that being said I dont know if I have a high bf percentage and maybe thats the reason my chest arms etc.. Dont look defined. My goal was to be 195 pounds or 200 ans cut to a shredded level ( at least see my abs popping and have a nice beach body) but with all these comments idk if I have been doing it the right way this whole year and a half. I workout 5-6 days a week and my reps are mostly in a range of 6 to 12. 3 days hit legs and the rest upper body.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you were gaining 5 pounds per week, chances are good that 3-4 pounds of it was fat every week. So most likely your lack of definition is because of a high bodyfat percentage.

This is not exact, but at least it will put you in the ballpark - take a look at these pics, which one looks most like you currently?:

v36k1f062vdv.jpg
  • javisho
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you were gaining 5 pounds per week, chances are good that 3-4 pounds of it was fat every week. So most likely your lack of definition is because of a high bodyfat percentage.

This is not exact, but at least it will put you in the ballpark - take a look at these pics, which one looks most like you currently?:

v36k1f062vdv.jpg

I'd say I am around 20-22 bfp. I still have skinny arms. Would you suggest me going through a cut or keep bulking by looking at my goals in the future?
  • javisho
    Options
    I wish I could post a picture. Can't seem to figure out how to do so though
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Cut. 20%+ Bodyfat is too high to bulk. You're just going to look fatter and even less like you lift

Posting a picture would help people give you better advice though

As above, what did you think was going to happen gaining 5lbs per week? lol
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It sounds like your method to build muscle has been off. I can work hard 2 hours a day 6 days a week in the gym but if my lifting program is sub optimal and my diet/caloric intake is not designed to support my training regime, results are not going to be what is expected.

5 pounds a week is quite aggressive goal to gain each week. Consider a cut and then go back to a bulk phase once you get down to optimal body fat percentage (around 15%).
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    You told your weight but not your height.

How tall are you?
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bulk until < 15%
  • javisho
    Options
    Cut. 20%+ Bodyfat is too high to bulk. You're just going to look fatter and even less like you lift

Posting a picture would help people give you better advice though

As above, what did you think was going to happen gaining 5lbs per week? lol

Its hard for me to put on weight. When I started lifting I had a very flat chest. Skinny arms. Chicken legs. My abs popped but because of my skinny body. As I say. For me losing weight is not the real matter. I can lose weight very quickly. As of my photo how can I upload it? Cant seem to find the place to submit 1.
  • javisho
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    It sounds like your method to build muscle has been off. I can work hard 2 hours a day 6 days a week in the gym but if my lifting program is sub optimal and my diet/caloric intake is not designed to support my training regime, results are not going to be what is expected.

5 pounds a week is quite aggressive goal to gain each week. Consider a cut and then go back to a bulk phase once you get down to optimal body fat percentage (around 15%).

So eating less calories would put me on more weight in more time but without that extra fat?
  • javisho
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

How tall are you?

Sorry my bad. 6ft or 183 cm
  • javisho
    Options
    Yeah, if you're gaining 5lbs a week you're not a hard gainer. All a "hard gainer" is, is someone who naturally has habits that make it difficult to eat sufficient calories for their goals.

That's a good point. I guess ill have to cut some fat then.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    javisho wrote: »
    Hi guys. Since I was a kid i have been the skinny type of guy. Last year I started bulking aiming to gain 5 lbs per week. The last months I've been more persistent and disciplined. I was 142 lbs and right now I am 178. But people always tell me I don't look like I lift and that makes me feel kinda sad because I give my best every day in the gym. So that being said I dont know if I have a high bf percentage and maybe thats the reason my chest arms etc.. Dont look defined. My goal was to be 195 pounds or 200 ans cut to a shredded level ( at least see my abs popping and have a nice beach body) but with all these comments idk if I have been doing it the right way this whole year and a half. I workout 5-6 days a week and my reps are mostly in a range of 6 to 12. 3 days hit legs and the rest upper body.

A couple of things here.... You say you were aiming for 5 pounds a week and started "last year". You only gained 36 pounds. That is a LOT less than 5 pounds a week. It would have only taken you about two months to gain those 36# at the rate claimed. So, when did you ACTUALLY start your bulk and program? ... and what has your actual rate of weight gain been?

You are 178# at 6' and claim about 20% or higher BF. You do realized that 178# at that bf % is still pretty darned skinny? Of course you aren't going to look like you lift, especially with clothes on. It's a start, but you have a long ways to go before people think you are "big" at that height. Alternately, 178# with a very low BF % would look pretty good shirtless. ;)

Also, how have your main lifts progressed? Where did you start and where are you now.

• misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Cut calories or eat at maintenance. Consume enough protein. Also don't do your own lifting program. Look up a good beginners lifting program.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

How tall are you?

Sorry my bad. 6ft or 183 cm

6' and 178lbs?

I wouldn't cut. I'd slow your bulk though to 1-2lbs a week and find a quality hypertrophy program.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

So eating less calories would put me on more weight in more time but without that extra fat?

I am not clear on the exact time frame you gained 38 pounds. But it sounds as if you have gained a proportion of fat to muscle that is more fat, hence lacking definition. Continuing with a bulk is not optimal and you should cut.

Its good to keep progress photos and measurements, maybe if you could upload us a current photo that would help too.

Don't do your own program, use the link provided above to locate already designed ones.. Once you cut back to 15% BF, increase your calories by 250 (find your baseline maintenance cals and add to this).... you will want to do several bulk/cut cycles to get to your desired results.