Need advice from people who love riding bikes!

Options
KaleiAlanaSmith
KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
edited October 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So i recently bought a bike so that I could ride to my college campus instead of driving. It's about a 10-15 minute bike ride and let me say this, I'M VERY OUT OF SHAPE hahaha. Well where I live, there are a LOT of hills. I'm looking for advice for how to work out or ways to train on a bike properly for a beginner like me so that i can finally bike to campus without being out of breath and being too weak to pedal anymore. I have a mountain bike so shifting gears helps but I still want to get better.
thank you :)

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    First, it's good you're shifting gears. A lot of people new to riding don't, and that makes it harder than it has to be.

Second, AWESOME that you're riding instead of driving!

Ok, for how to improve your fitness, I'd suggest long but easy rides because they'll build up your stamina. Having more "gas in the tank" means you'll be able to put more of it into a hill. And, I'm sorry to say this, but hill repeats are really amazingly effective. You don't have to do them quickly, just do a few laps up the hill at a moderate pace, and then take it easy the next day.

You can stand up on the pedals to get more leverage, it'll help on really steep hills, but you'll get tired faster this way, so use it sparingly.

Do you have knobby or smooth tires?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    first day i brought a bike home it wore me out riding 4 blocks to the grocery store. so hang in there and don't let the first impressions frighten you off. legs get strong fast, so make sure you're covering your protein and energy needs that shakiness shouldn't be with you for long.

me personally . . . i bike commute, then i go for a while between contracts, or i have a winter where i just never quite get my mojo assembled to deal with the weather conditions so i don't ride. i've stopped and started a zillion times and i'm what i would call a functional cyclist, not really an 'athlete' with it. so in case any of my own rules of thumb are helpful:

- allow yourself some chunk of time like four weeks, or whatever you wildly guess it might take for some conditioning to kick in. and then just set yourself to make it through those four weeks. promise yourself that you'll evaluate at that point BUT you should do the four weeks/whatever first, to give yourself a fair chance. that's my 'restart' approach, and i borrowed it from parents who tell their kids they can sign up for any activity and they can quit if they really want to, but they have to put in x weeks at it first.

- let some of it just be fun. or be comfortable, or whatever your own threshold is. not every minute on the bike has to be about how you're out of shape and you 'have to' improve or push yourself all the time.

- do the best that you can to make sure the bike is well-suited for you and set up for your ergonomics. if you're using it to commute then imo this pays off because everyday use can give you various irritations and small overuse injuries that are a buzzkill without being completely debilitating.

- stretch. your. quads. and just your hip flexors in general.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'd just echo this. Unless you're going offroad knobbly tyres will significantly increase your workload. It's worth investing in more appropriate tyres for roads if that's what you're riding on.

And just to add to the advice above, as much as possible try to use the gearing to allow you to pedal rapidly and smoothly. Don't grind hard against the pedals, again you just make things harder for yourself.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    As a fellow sometime-cycle-commuter (walking to and from the train the rest of the time), I would say that if you're going to use your commute to train with (I didn't have the extra time to do anything but the 5.5 miles to get up to speed, as it were) give yourself plenty of extra time. And if you have to walk your bike up hills, I say go ahead and do it. You won't have to forever, or even probably for long.

Also make sure you fuel yourself well before setting off. For 10-15 minutes, it's probably making sure you're good and hydrated, but that's what always helps me.

Have fun. Welcome to the family of £0/mile commutes!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    katsheare wrote: »
    As a fellow sometime-cycle-commuter (walking to and from the train the rest of the time), I would say that if you're going to use your commute to train with (I didn't have the extra time to do anything but the 5.5 miles to get up to speed, as it were) give yourself plenty of extra time. And if you have to walk your bike up hills, I say go ahead and do it. You won't have to forever, or even probably for long.

Also make sure you fuel yourself well before setting off. For 10-15 minutes, it's probably making sure you're good and hydrated, but that's what always helps me.

Have fun. Welcome to the family of £0/mile commutes!

No-one needs to fuel up for a 15 minute ride! I don't consider fuelling at anything less than two hours of hard riding. Carrying water on the bike for such a short journey would also be counter productive (more weight makes it harder) - just have a drink when you arrive.

OP
    A low speed your rolling resistance is the biggest factor, hence the recommendation to get road appropriate tyres. Do keep them pumped up - they lose pressure fast.

Do use your gears, keep your legs spinning rather than grind up hills fatiguing your leg muscles. Eventually the way to get better on hills comes first from getting fitter and secondly from doing hills!

Your fitness will improve simply with more time in the saddle, longer easy rides to get acclimatised to riding and build a fitness base when you find your commute easier.

Remember to smile but not when riding through a swarm of flies. ;)

Once you can cycle comfortably for an hour then if you want to improve them maybe consider a training plan like this......
    https://www.bhf.org.uk/-/media/files/events/training-plans/cycling-training-plans/cyclingbeginnerstrainingplan.pdf?la=en
  • fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The improvement curve for cycling is rapid, if you will continue to do it. Gearing makes hills or headwinds easier. Smaller gear in front, larger gear in back. Stay within yourself, and remember to breathe as you climb. Push down with your heels (like doing squats) and slide your hips back on the saddle when climbing and that will engage the large muscles on the back of your legs (glutes and hamstrings) more effectively. It's okay to hop off and walk when you need to. That will be a good measure of your progress as you pedal further each time until you don't need to walk anymore.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Go for a 30 minute ride a few times and before long the 15 minute ride will seem short and easy. There's really not any special training needed for a beginner doing a 15 minute ride. You just need to keep doing it.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

I'd just echo this. Unless you're going offroad knobbly tyres will significantly increase your workload. It's worth investing in more appropriate tyres for roads if that's what you're riding on.

And just to add to the advice above, as much as possible try to use the gearing to allow you to pedal rapidly and smoothly. Don't grind hard against the pedals, again you just make things harder for yourself.

For a 15 minute bike ride? For a 15 minute ride, even the worst rolling resistance tire isn't going to cause someone to burn more than 25 extra calories over a slick tire. You're just encouraging someone to spend a lot of money to decrease the calories they burn by an amount they won't even notice after a few weeks of riding.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

For a 15 minute bike ride? For a 15 minute ride, even the worst rolling resistance tire isn't going to cause someone to burn more than 25 extra calories over a slick tire. You're just encouraging someone to spend a lot of money to decrease the calories they burn by an amount they won't even notice after a few weeks of riding.

And after a few weeks riding, concievably happy going out for somewhat longer than 15 minutes.

And fwiw whilst my own cycle committee is only 10 miles, and take about 30 minutes, the difference between road bike, cross bike and mountain bike is noticeable.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    1) Ride more. It's a stupidly simple answer, but it really is the best option. You'll improve pretty quickly.
    2) Use your gears, which it sounds like you are doing. Good.
    3) Go with smooth, road tires... not knobby mountain tire. It might cost you $50+, but it's worth it. My first road bike was a mountain bike. Swapping the knobbies for road tires was a night and day difference.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    1) Ride more. It's a stupidly simple answer, but it really is the best option. You'll improve pretty quickly.
    3) Go with smooth, road tires... not knobby mountain tire. It might cost you $50+, but it's worth it. My first road bike was a mountain bike. Swapping the knobbies for road tires was a night and day difference.

^^^ This, it just really comes down to time in the saddle.

FWIW the most compelling reason the get rid of the knobbly MTB tires and get a smooth one is traction (I agree, rolling resistance is pretty immaterial for short rides) knobbly tires handle atrociously on road surfaces.

Have fun.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

^^^ This, it just really comes down to time in the saddle.

FWIW the most compelling reason the get rid of the knobbly MTB tires and get a smooth one is traction (I agree, rolling resistance is pretty immaterial for short rides) knobbly tires handle atrociously on road surfaces.

Have fun.

Agreed. It's not so much about watts or calories or efficiency or anything like that, it's just about the ride.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is probably overkill for a commute but if you really want to do your best on hills you should be riding clipless pedals with cleats. Mind you there's expense involved and a learning curve - everyone spills once or twice when adapting to clipless. But clipless can't be beat for getting torque on a hill.

Take this advice with a grain of salt given the above factors, but the point re. torque stands.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

While a 15 minute ride is easy for you, it's currently a challenge for the OP. Wasting less energy fighting tires will leave more for the climbs.

More importantly, if she's going up hills, she's coming down, too. Slicks have better group for braking and cornering, and better ride quality overall. On pavement anyway.
  • fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    " you should be riding clipless pedals with cleats. Mind you there's expense involved and a learning curve - everyone spills once or twice when adapting to clipless. But clipless can't be beat for getting torque on a hill."

disagree that cleats are recommended for a new commuter. Cleats allow you to pull back and up on the pedals, bringing other muscles into play, but most riders using them fail to take advantage and still just pump up and down. Cleats prevent you from moving your feet on the pedals to find comfort in different conditions, deal with cramps, or put a foot down to avoid a fall. Cleats can cause hot spots under the balls of your feet or toes, and ankle and knee pain. I only use mine when riding a tandem to help stay in sync with the other rider. I tried them because people said I should, but 42,000 miles later, without them, I'm pretty happy without them. That said, most racer type riders today do use them. Millions of commuters around the world do not.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

And after a few weeks riding, concievably happy going out for somewhat longer than 15 minutes.

And fwiw whilst my own cycle committee is only 10 miles, and take about 30 minutes, the difference between road bike, cross bike and mountain bike is noticeable.

While a 15 minute ride is easy for you, it's currently a challenge for the OP. Wasting less energy fighting tires will leave more for the climbs.

More importantly, if she's going up hills, she's coming down, too. Slicks have better group for braking and cornering, and better ride quality overall. On pavement anyway.

If the point is to make it as easy as possible, then why don't we just suggest she go out and buy a motorcycle? If she were racing then the marginal gains from tires with less rolling resistance would be worth looking into. Spending $10,000 on a carbon frame aerodynamic bike might also be worth it. But that's not what she is doing. She is taking a 15 minute ride with the aim of improving her fitness. With that goal in mind, having a heavier bike with slow tires isn't a bad thing. And certainly, the benefit of reducing rolling resistance slightly doesn't justify spending the money to do it.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    " you should be riding clipless pedals with cleats. Mind you there's expense involved and a learning curve - everyone spills once or twice when adapting to clipless. But clipless can't be beat for getting torque on a hill."

disagree that cleats are recommended for a new commuter. Cleats allow you to pull back and up on the pedals, bringing other muscles into play, but most riders using them fail to take advantage and still just pump up and down. Cleats prevent you from moving your feet on the pedals to find comfort in different conditions, deal with cramps, or put a foot down to avoid a fall. Cleats can cause hot spots under the balls of your feet or toes, and ankle and knee pain. I only use mine when riding a tandem to help stay in sync with the other rider. I tried them because people said I should, but 42,000 miles later, without them, I'm pretty happy without them. That said, most racer type riders today do use them. Millions of commuters around the world do not.

I use clipless pedals and love them, but when I go for a short 15 minute ride I ride a bike with flat pedals. This is because I don't want to have to change shoes when I reach my destination and I prefer not to walk around in cycling shoes more than is required.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

If the point is to make it as easy as possible, then why don't we just suggest she go out and buy a motorcycle? If she were racing then the marginal gains from tires with less rolling resistance would be worth looking into. Spending $10,000 on a carbon frame aerodynamic bike might also be worth it. But that's not what she is doing. She is taking a 15 minute ride with the aim of improving her fitness. With that goal in mind, having a heavier bike with slow tires isn't a bad thing. And certainly, the benefit of reducing rolling resistance slightly doesn't justify spending the money to do it.

You're correct. To get most benefit from the bike she should shoulder it, as clearly carrying is the least efficient way to use it.

All kinds of benefits from using appropriate tyres for the riding surface.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You can do a ton of things to make the ride easier, but the most effective is to just ride more (it’s also the cheapest and best for you!).

You don’t ‘need’ different anything else, it’s up to you if you want different tyres/pedals/saddle but it all comes down to time in the saddle.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

For what it's worth, I don't think clipless is a great idea for the OP eat this point. But the bold part above is why people use clipless pedals. They provide a measure of safety (foot won't slip while cornering or on rough ground) and if the cleats are fitted properly, they protect your knees by keeping your feet where they belong.

Many years ago when I was using toe straps for retention, I started getting knee pain after long rides. It went away and never returned when I switched to SPD.