Need advice from people who love riding bikes!

2»

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    katsheare wrote: »
    As a fellow sometime-cycle-commuter (walking to and from the train the rest of the time), I would say that if you're going to use your commute to train with (I didn't have the extra time to do anything but the 5.5 miles to get up to speed, as it were) give yourself plenty of extra time. And if you have to walk your bike up hills, I say go ahead and do it. You won't have to forever, or even probably for long.

Also make sure you fuel yourself well before setting off. For 10-15 minutes, it's probably making sure you're good and hydrated, but that's what always helps me.

Have fun. Welcome to the family of £0/mile commutes!

No-one needs to fuel up for a 15 minute ride! I don't consider fuelling at anything less than two hours of hard riding. Carrying water on the bike for such a short journey would also be counter productive (more weight makes it harder) - just have a drink when you arrive.

OP
    A low speed your rolling resistance is the biggest factor, hence the recommendation to get road appropriate tyres. Do keep them pumped up - they lose pressure fast.

Do use your gears, keep your legs spinning rather than grind up hills fatiguing your leg muscles. Eventually the way to get better on hills comes first from getting fitter and secondly from doing hills!

Your fitness will improve simply with more time in the saddle, longer easy rides to get acclimatised to riding and build a fitness base when you find your commute easier.

Remember to smile but not when riding through a swarm of flies. ;)

Once you can cycle comfortably for an hour then if you want to improve them maybe consider a training plan like this......
    https://www.bhf.org.uk/-/media/files/events/training-plans/cycling-training-plans/cyclingbeginnerstrainingplan.pdf?la=en

Will transporting a pound or 2 of water (attached to the frame in a holder) for a 15-minute ride make any difference whatsoever?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    You might be able to leave your bike lock locked to the rack at school instead if carrying it with you. No one will be able to steak it because it'll be locked.