Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Air Plane seats

Options
GOT_Obsessed
GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
Hi. I am heavier than I should be but working on it. Air plane seats have not been the most comfortable for me because I carry my weight in my thighs. I always try to sit as compact as possible so my neighbour doesn't have my fat leaking over to them. It's not fair to them. I am fat, they are not.

A morbidly obese friend of mine has never flown and said something that just did not sit right with me. Something like "Plane seats should be way bigger to fit real sized people."

I was walking on thin ice but said something like "I disagree because it keeps me in check for not putting on more weight. (I fly at least once a year.) If the seats were bigger the plane would have less of them and the flight cost would go up."

What are your thoughts on my comment and the issue as a whole?
Be honest. I can take it. Sometimes I can be insensitive with my comments.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    TitoTim wrote: »
    Not for obesity reasons such, just customer service. Yes. Airplane seats should be bigger. Service should be better. All the nickel & dime fees need to stop. This will never happen because people keep looking for the lowest fares.

Yep. Interesting article on air fares now vs 50 years ago:

Excerpt:
    " A ticket on TWA in 1955 from Chicago to Phoenix, for example, cost $138 round-trip. Adjusted for inflation, that’s $1,168. But that doesn’t tell the whole story, because the average salary in the United States is higher than it was in the 1950s. That round-trip ticket between Chicago and Phoenix would cost the average person today a little more than 1% of his yearly income to purchase. Comparatively, the average person in the 1950s would pay up to 5% of his yearly salary for a chance to fly."

Full article:
    https://www.fastcodesign.com/3022215/what-it-was-really-like-to-fly-during-the-golden-age-of-travel

Wow. That’s interesting.

My gut reaction is that that seems true. Prices have not really increased in my lifetime. They just keep finding ways to keep costs low.

Yep, you can get pretty good quality seats/service if you're willing to pay 5X the regular coach price on a flight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    When I fly now, I try to fly what is now premium economy. You can pick them up for not an outrageous amount more and it's worth it to know my personal space isn't going to be invaded. I am socially anxious at the best of times, nevermind when someone using half my seat along with their own. When I was my biggest, actually no, when I was some way below my biggest I still felt very aware that I did fill the whole seat and would literally cram myself as far up against the window side as was humanly possible. It's nobody elses fault but my own that I was close to spilling over and out of a seat.

And if I could afford to fly first/business/upper you can be damn sure I'd do that too.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Ke22yB wrote: »
    I was morbidly obese and I paid the price to fly in first class because at a 56 inch waist I just didn't fit in coach seats I lost weight and became what I consider a real size person now and fit and do whatever or wherever I want. more important than the money I save now is the freedom this represents, picture a 170 pound weight draped around your shoulders as you go thru life.
    wherever you take your inspiration to change your life is great, so if its airplane seats that's fine

When my mom was still able to fly this is what she did. It made for an excellent flight from Ohio to Las Vegas when we went together.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    So in your people's opinion was my comment rude?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    So in your people's opinion was my comment rude?

No
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    Ok good. I don't want to make anyone feel bad but sometimes it's just hard to hold it in.