Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Air Plane seats

Options

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    ilfaith wrote: »
    http://www.travelstart.co.za/blog/these-are-the-airlines-who-charge-passengers-by-their-body-weight/

I remember once seeing an episode of Candid Camera where rather than weighing the luggage, they weighed the passengers, and if the passenger was deemed overweight, they were given the choice of paying an extra fee or forfeiting their snack.

I am a relatively small person, and even I don't find airplane seats particularly comfortable. I would hate to fly if I were over six feet tall or over 200 pounds...but my husband is both, yet travels by plane nearly every week. i don't envy him.

But the issue isn't necessarily limited to air travel. Years ago, when I took public transportation to and from work, there were plenty of occasions where larger commuters would take the seat next to mine, then spill over into my space. Busses and trains don't usually have an armrest between the seats, and I think some passengers would see me as someone who didn't take up much room. Never mind the fact that I paid for an entire seat, not 75% so that the remaining quarter could be occupied by someone else. (And don't even get me started on "manspreading.")

the bolded above is, imo, unnecessary and shaming. i don't think the fee is irrelevant but asking them to forfeit a 45 calorie pack of pretzels is just ridiculous. it does nothing to alleviate whatever additional fuel costs may be incurred with a heavier flight and has only the intent to embarrass and demean. gross.

It was on Candid Camera, a practical joke TV show....ie it was a stunt, a joke to catch people's reaction. It wasnt real. It was intentionally done to be demeaning and ridiculous in order to film people's reactions.

but who was in on it? if it was a practical joke on the passengers then it's horrible. if it was filmed with actors for the 'benefit' of people walking by, i guess it's slightly less terrible, but i know that if i was waiting in line for a ticket and saw people being weighed i wouldn't think it was funny, i would feel anxious and embarrassed for my own turn. not everything that's meant to be funny is.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    http://www.travelstart.co.za/blog/these-are-the-airlines-who-charge-passengers-by-their-body-weight/

I remember once seeing an episode of Candid Camera where rather than weighing the luggage, they weighed the passengers, and if the passenger was deemed overweight, they were given the choice of paying an extra fee or forfeiting their snack.

I am a relatively small person, and even I don't find airplane seats particularly comfortable. I would hate to fly if I were over six feet tall or over 200 pounds...but my husband is both, yet travels by plane nearly every week. i don't envy him.

But the issue isn't necessarily limited to air travel. Years ago, when I took public transportation to and from work, there were plenty of occasions where larger commuters would take the seat next to mine, then spill over into my space. Busses and trains don't usually have an armrest between the seats, and I think some passengers would see me as someone who didn't take up much room. Never mind the fact that I paid for an entire seat, not 75% so that the remaining quarter could be occupied by someone else. (And don't even get me started on "manspreading.")

the bolded above is, imo, unnecessary and shaming. i don't think the fee is irrelevant but asking them to forfeit a 45 calorie pack of pretzels is just ridiculous. it does nothing to alleviate whatever additional fuel costs may be incurred with a heavier flight and has only the intent to embarrass and demean. gross.

It was on Candid Camera, a practical joke TV show....ie it was a stunt, a joke to catch people's reaction. It wasnt real. It was intentionally done to be demeaning and ridiculous in order to film people's reactions.

but who was in on it? if it was a practical joke on the passengers then it's horrible. if it was filmed with actors for the 'benefit' of people walking by, i guess it's slightly less terrible, but i know that if i was waiting in line for a ticket and saw people being weighed i wouldn't think it was funny, i would feel anxious and embarrassed for my own turn. not everything that's meant to be funny is.

I don't know I didn't watch the episode, all I know is that the person who mentioned it said it was on Candid Camera which is a practical joke show so in other words what came after was the description of the practical joke, not of actual airline policy.

right, i get that, i guess i went off on a bit of a tangent about the snack being irrelevant to actual airline policies, but i stand by my feeling that it's shaming and demeaning regardless of whether it's a reality or a joke. i just don't find 'laugh at the fat person for being fat' jokes funny.

i actually just tried to google the show to find out more about it, because i'm bored at work and because i wanted clarity and i can't find anything about a prank like that on candid camera or otherwise, just that Finnair (and a few others) want to weigh passengers. nothing about the snacks obviously.

i did learn that the host of candid camera was on a hijacked flight and nobody believed the hijacking was real. so, i've got that going for me.

But yes jokes can be mean. That is true. Just not sure what the relevance is.

wires crossed i guess, i saw in the post that airlines DID want to weigh passengers, that the show did a prank involving snacks, tangent happened.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I thought Candid Camera went off the air decades before flight was invented.

I too thought it went out in the 1960's replaced with YouTube videos. Apparently it's been revived on one of the higher channels:
    http://www.candidcamera.com/
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone flies unless they have some Godforsaken reason to have to go overseas. And for most people that never happens. I've never heard anyone say a good word about the flying experience, the costs associated with it or anything else having to do with flying. Continental U.S. and Europe have rail. Screw flying. You can be fat on a train and it's okay. Go Amtrak for God's sake.

Wow. My "Godforsaken reason" to go overseas is to experience cultures that are different than my own. It's sad if a person's only reason for not traveling internationally is that flying sucks. Yeah, flying sucks. But it's a small price to pay to experience the world outside of Amtrack's reach.

Nope. I live in the best, most beautiful and expansive country in the world and there is nothing outside Amtrak's reach that interests me. Other than Alaska and for that I'll take Amtrak and then a cruise ship if I feel sufficiently compelled.

If I lived to be a thousand years old that wouldn't be enough time to for me to see and fall in love with every wonderful nook and cranny of this remarkably glorious and pristine country I live in.

International travel? Done that and I'm done with it. I prefer my own culture and my own nation and the beauty, the geographical diversity, the freedoms and the sense of security it provides me. I offer no apologies for that and I'm proud I feel that way. I don't feel at all sad about it, but if you do, okay.

How did you know that you prefer your own culture without the opportunity you had of experiencing another culture?

One, I've already traveled internationally. See the bolded. Two, I live in a multicultural metropolitan urban area and have more than enough opportunity on a daily basis to observe and experience subcultures originally from overseas who live and work alongside me.

The bolded part was kind of my point.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    More leg room, more *kitten* room.
    I think the seats are uncomfortable for several shapes and sizes.

I am 5 foot 3 and a half. I would gladly give you some of my leg room if you would give me some of your *kitten* room. Lol
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Try fitting in a Chinese domestic airline seat :smiley:

oalyarxknl4o.jpg

I'm feeling anxious, short of breath and imagining the onset of abrupt, panic induced diarrhea from just looking at this cluster.

This is United and American airlines!! It pisses me off because my husband and i pay extra now for economy plus just to get some freaking leg room!!! I am 5'9" and my husband is 6'2". We both have very long legs!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't know about the leg room thing. I mean of course I'd want more leg room but to have more leg room their would have to be less seats on the plane which would mean less passengers per flight which would mean more expensive tickets. Now would I pay an extra $100 to have more leg room for a 4 hour flight? Probably not to be honest. I'm imagining that those who run the airlines have done this market analysis and decided that people are more likely to select the cheaper flight rather than the "more legroom" flight. If that wasn't the case then they would have expanded leg room and increased ticket prices because why not. They are decreasing leg room to minimize costs because they feel that is what most customers actually want even if those same customers gripe about legroom they are still buying tickets based on prices.

As long as the cost of the ticket is what people primarily consider when purchasing a flight the leg room will continue to shrink up until the point that people start considering something else.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As long as the cost of the ticket is what people primarily consider when purchasing a flight the leg room will continue to shrink up until the point that people start considering something else.

Yeah, presumably the charging extra for economy plus (and every other little thing) is a business model that they think works for them better than trying to sell a more comfortable flight experience overall.

Makes sense as they can get the people who care to pay more and still claim their tickets are super cheap.