Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Air Plane seats

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think if someone said "I'm not fat I'm fluffy" I'd think of those cat cartoons/jokes/gifs and assume she was making a joke, the subtext of which is "of course I know I'm fat, because you will get the reference."

But I also see people saying "well, as you know I'm, uh, 'big-boned'" (said in a voice that indicates they are being self-depricating and acknowledging that everyone knows they are fat. They aren't actually in denial or thinking that "big-boned" is somehow not fat in that context.

I'm wondering if sometimes when people get all upset that the fat people don't know they are fat because they use different words if maybe there's a bunch of misunderstanding going on.

Anyway, I suppose this is a bit off-topic, just wondered if there was some context other than a self-conscious reference to the cat joke (which is always a fat cat saying "I'm not fat, I'm fluffy" when of course he is fat, that's why it's a joke). If it's a term that references the joke, it's NOT denial.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Fluffy.
    If I recall, Garfield the overweight cartoon cat was referred to as fluffy. The term gets thrown around in Canada too.

You're right. I remember finding it hilarious. I used it myself. Everyone knew I meant I was fat. But in the upper Midwestern accent, in particular, the word "fat" is quite ugly - sounding as our short "a" is broadened and flattened of both. So unless I'm talking about food, I avoid using the word with anyone regarding people.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Friend was complaining on social media that the seats at a local theater weren't comfortable for someone who was "fluffy" like her. Fact of the matter is she is close to, if not, morbidly obese (guess that's what fluffy means to her). Problem isn't with the theater seats.

Fluffy is a weird term, is it an American thing? I've never heard it here, so assumed it was UK or something (after seeing it around on MFP on occasion).

It's a joke I've seen in cat gifs, of course, but I mean applied to humans.

"Fluffy" came from a woman who has lived in the Midwestern US all her life.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    So here is another plane question/topic/concern (not sure what to call it)

I flew today. I sat in the isle seat. One of the heavier flight attendants kept bumping passengers with her hips as she walked up the aisle.
    Is this be acceptable? Should the staff have weight restrictions? Thoughts?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    So here is another plane question/topic/concern (not sure what to call it)

I flew today. I sat in the isle seat. One of the heavier flight attendants kept bumping passengers with her hips as she walked up the aisle.
    Is this be acceptable? Should the staff have weight restrictions? Thoughts?

It varies between airlines, I suppose; I know that when I looked into it there were weight and height restrictions. I'm too tall to be a flight attendant on many airlines.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Being an airline stewardess is likely being a waitress. Some of the more traditional airlines will have requirements for appearance. I know, for example, that I am too short to be a stewardess with British Airways. I don't know if that is to do with appearance or with reaching the overhead bins but I can't deny that BA stewardesses have a certain look. The same with Singapore airlines. All of their attendants,male and female, were model levels of stunning and in my jet lagged state I couldn't stop staring at their beautiful, identical chignons that the women wore and working out how they managed to look so put together. Ryan Air (budget irish airline) on the other hand have their attendants in hoodies.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Being an airline stewardess is likely being a waitress. Some of the more traditional airlines will have requirements for appearance. I know, for example, that I am too short to be a stewardess with British Airways. I don't know if that is to do with appearance or with reaching the overhead bins but I can't deny that BA stewardesses have a certain look. The same with Singapore airlines. All of their attendants,male and female, were model levels of stunning and in my jet lagged state I couldn't stop staring at their beautiful, identical chignons that the women wore and working out how they managed to look so put together. Ryan Air (budget irish airline) on the other hand have their attendants in hoodies.

I can't speak to all airlines, but I am ex-travel-industry and know a little about some of this. The height requirement is not an appearance thing, it is to ensure the flight attendant can comfortably perform his or her duties (both routine and emergency.) Since planes are so tightly designed, both people who are too tall and people who are too short can struggle to access everything necessary for their jobs if they are not within the stated range.

As far as weight, it depends on the airline and presumably labour laws as to what they will specify, but I saw wording ranging from a vague "height/weight proportionate" and "weight must not interfere with the flight attendant's ability to perform his or her duties" to more direct statements on BMI or measurements. Unfortunately there is a legitimate business need for an attendant to be able to walk comfortably down the aisle, so it has to be addressed.

And re: model-like attendants...some countries are legally able to require photos and include appearance in hiring, but even places that can't can have pretty strict uniform requirements even down to grooming. I remember seeing one Asian airline that was incredibly particular down to shades of makeup, diagrams of hairstyles, etc.

I'm Canadian and here the labour laws are pretty strict (unless you call the job an "entertainment" one instead of service or travel or whatever, which is how you can hire only pretty girls for your restaurant, for example...call them "entertainers" rather than "servers") so our two big airlines don't hire that way anymore, but it's certainly alive and kicking elsewhere in the world!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I pay 80$ if I'm 2kg over my baggage allowance. To this day, I'm shocked we don't charge people the same way to fly.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm a 19.8 BMI (so on the lower end of healthy) and I just returned from a flight from Cancun a couple weeks ago. We had a layover on the way back in Baltimore, MD before arriving home in Columbus, OH. We went Southwest, which I still consider the best airline out there...BUT, this connection flight I even had a hard time fitting my butt/thighs into the seat. The widest part of my hips measure 39 inches around. I was happy I was sitting next to my BF so some random stranger wasn't mad that I had to wedge myself into the seat.

So, I'm not even sure how someone on the higher end of healthy would have fit comfy in these seats. My BF has a 24.5 BMI, at 6'2 and he struggled as well. We are both tall people, myself at 5'11, and we've always had issues with the leg room on planes but have NEVER had issues fitting in the seat width wise. I'm not sure how overweight/obese people would even try getting in there without having to buy 2 seats.

So, I believe the seats need to be bigger to accomodate "regular" sized people, but I don't think they need to make them bigger to accomodate the obese. The obese aren't "real sized" people. This would just make it more ok to be overweight/obese. This also goes along with Amusement rides. If you don't fit, you don't fly.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Airplane seats should be bigger...my main beef is leg room. At 5'7" my knees hit the seat in front of me. That's just ridiculous!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I'm a small person and feel the seats are too small. My boyfriend is a tall skinny guy and has to sit in the aisle with his feet sticking out. I feel the seats are too small. I would pay a bit more for a bigger seat but the price of first class is not affordable to me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am heavier than I should be but working on it. Air plane seats have not been the most comfortable for me because I carry my weight in my thighs. I always try to sit as compact as possible so my neighbour doesn't have my fat leaking over to them. It's not fair to them. I am fat, they are not.

A morbidly obese friend of mine has never flown and said something that just did not sit right with me. Something like "Plane seats should be way bigger to fit real sized people."

I was walking on thin ice but said something like "I disagree because it keeps me in check for not putting on more weight. (I fly at least once a year.) If the seats were bigger the plane would have less of them and the flight cost would go up."

What are your thoughts on my comment and the issue as a whole?
    Be honest. I can take it. Sometimes I can be insensitive with my comments.

I think you and your friend both have points and you were not rude to express your point of view.

I don't fly and bigger seats would not make the slightest difference in that choice for me.
    I suppose airlines are going to do what gets them the most money and as a consumer if you don't like the size of seats or price you can not fly if it is a choice for you.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I'm a small person and feel the seats are too small. My boyfriend is a tall skinny guy and has to sit in the aisle with his feet sticking out. I feel the seats are too small. I would pay a bit more for a bigger seat but the price of first class is not affordable to me.

United offers a Premium Coach seat with additional leg room and it's usually very affordable and well worth it. At 6'4" my knees are intruding on my neighbor on standard coach.
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You get what you pay for. IF someone doesnt like the seats the can always choose to upgrade them or travel another way. Too many people forget a business is in business to make money Not to please you. Pleasing customers is only done as a means to profit. If most people are dealing with the seats. then airlines wont care. If miraculously a boycott of seats occurred and profits tumbled and layoffs ensued, then seats would be bigger. But the odds of that are about the same as a whale fitting into economy seating.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    WispyBlue wrote: »
    I think airplanes needs to have more leg space but idk about making seats wider. I guess it depends on demand. If the general population is obese, then they should make the seats bigger. I don’t think big companies bother catering to marginal groups.

As a member of the short legs, broad shoulders club, I'm more about the seat width than legroom.

Which demonstrates different needs for different travelers.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Friend was complaining on social media that the seats at a local theater weren't comfortable for someone who was "fluffy" like her. Fact of the matter is she is close to, if not, morbidly obese (guess that's what fluffy means to her). Problem isn't with the theater seats.

That problem is solved in our market. Most of our theaters have gone to reserved seats and you get a recliner. Plenty of room for all but those on My 600 Pound Life.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

That problem is solved in our market. Most of our theaters have gone to reserved seats and you get a recliner. Plenty of room for all but those on My 600 Pound Life.

I loathe the reserved recliner seating! They're too big for me to get comfortable and too much of the seat touches me. I know they aren't cleaned between movies :grimace: Our local independent theater has perfectly sized seats. Big enough my 250# husband doesn't complain but not so large I feel lost in them.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »

United offers a Premium Coach seat with additional leg room and it's usually very affordable and well worth it. At 6'4" my knees are intruding on my neighbor on standard coach.

Ah good to know. I wonder if other airlines do this. The service for me has been so bad that I won't fly United any more.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I loathe the reserved recliner seating! They're too big for me to get comfortable and too much of the seat touches me. I know they aren't cleaned between movies :grimace: Our local independent theater has perfectly sized seats. Big enough my 250# husband doesn't complain but not so large I feel lost in them.

What seats in any public place are cleaned between patrons?