Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can a 21 year old be stronger then a 30+ year old?

Options
taylorblade
taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
Can a youth say in their twenties be stronger then a man or women say in their thirties plus ages older? Say like in a wrestling match or fight or weight lifiting competition can a youth hope to succeed in this? The reason I ask is because I always hear that a youth is a boy and girl compared to Someone older. But why cant a youth in their twenties be stronger then someone older? What in the body prohibits this? What do our ages have anything to do with this? Why can't youth become stronger then elders? If it's true that a youth cant become stronger then a elder then why not?

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that for men physical strength doesn't naturally peak until at least age 30. I had actually researched this myself in the past, but could not find anything concrete. Now if you compare someone in their early 20s who has done a lot of training vs one in their 40s who has done none, I'm sure the younger one could be stronger.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Men are are their peak at age 19. It's all downhill from there.

It’s very debatable whether the said man/boys
    Growth plates would even have closed by that age, ie their still growing
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Hard to judge fully. Records are set by young guys, but it takes a tole on the body so it’s hard to keep getting progressively stronger for 10 or 20 years once you hit adulthood. Conversely, guys who start powerlifting later in adulthood usually already have injuries or malformations they have to overcome, so they’re unlikely to be able to reach the same peaks that a 25 year old whose been lifting since adolescence can.

At a certain point injury becomes the limiting factor, and the older you get the more likely you are to get injured.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If you cut off a man's hair will he lose all of his strength?

sure, and if you believe that i've got this ruined temple you might be interested in.

op, i think there's so much variation between individuals that it's sort of a meaningless question. it seems to me like the best thing to do is just focus on you, at any age . . . there's always going to be guys both older and younger than you who will be either stronger or weaker than you.
  • asviles
    asviles Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was fit and trim at 19 and ran 5 miles a day. I am fat and can barely run a half mile now. I can still confidently say that with my experience, training, and weight advantage that 30 year old me would whoop the snot out of 19 year old me if it came down to a real fight.

The world's best powerlifters usually peak at around 27 after decades of training and steroid abuse. The average 19 year old is probably more fit overall than the average 30 year old, but as far as I'm concerned, age ain't nothin' but a record of how many opportunities you've had to learn from your mistakes.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Can't be bothered to read others opinions.

It all depends on who has trained more. Sure I am 29 but a runner so many 21 year old lifters could be stronger than me.

If you don't like that response, maybe try being more specific in what you're asking.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Can a youth say in their twenties be stronger then a man or women say in their thirties plus ages older? Say like in a wrestling match or fight or weight lifiting competition can a youth hope to succeed in this? The reason I ask is because I always hear that a youth is a boy and girl compared to Someone older. But why cant a youth in their twenties be stronger then someone older? What in the body prohibits this? What do our ages have anything to do with this? Why can't youth become stronger then elders? If it's true that a youth cant become stronger then a elder then why not?

Of course someone younger can be stronger or equally strong if they are about the same size and strength as the other person.
    If they are not the same size or one person has trained much more than the bigger or better trained person will likely be stronger. Age is not the important factor here.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    No. It is 101% impossible for a younger guy to be stronger than an older guy. I mean, why would you even ask this question. Its common sense.