Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can a 21 year old be stronger then a 30+ year old?

Options
2»

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Cardio starts to decline early 20's sometimes late teens, but physical strength could peak in your 40's. But there are older guys still making gains into their 60's.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Aren't you the guy who thought it wasn't possible to become stronger than your father? Where are you getting this information?

If you cut off a man's hair will he lose all of his strength?

Samsung and Delilah! :wink:
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Some science-y stuff about the topic:
    https://www.wired.com/2011/07/athletes-peak-age/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26088954
    https://www.theactivetimes.com/why-middle-age-isn-t-past-your-prime

So for those that are TL:DR... the common consensus in many sports is 26 is the peak athletic age... though the sport does play a VERY important role in peak age among competitors.

Swimming: 21 years
    Rowing: 29 years
    Long distance bicycle: 39 years, or... a range from 25-53 years depending on the study you read.
    Ultra-running: 37-39
    Decathalon: 41

So - this doesn't cover strength training or fighting... but it does cover some very interesting ground!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Hasn't it been shown that professional ballet dancers have more stamina than similar sports persons?
  • Mysterious_Dreamer
    Options
    My 9 year old is a lot stronger then me, she has been doing 8-10 hours of gymnastics a week for 3 years, with a lot of flex and strength training. So age has no importance in this at all.
  • twobyflor
    twobyflor Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Get off my lawn!*shakes fist*
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    My 9 year old is a lot stronger then me, she has been doing 8-10 hours of gymnastics a week for 3 years, with a lot of flex and strength training. So age has no importance in this at all.

So no offense intended but no matter how strong your 9 year old gets (and bravo to her btw) if she is stronger than you then you absolutely must begin some resistance training. Start now, do not wait one single extra day. Sarcopenia has taken hold of you extremely early and your only hope to avoid being housebound and reliant on somebody else to feed you is to fight it off and reverse it.
  • Mysterious_Dreamer
    Options

So no offense intended but no matter how strong your 9 year old gets (and bravo to her btw) if she is stronger than you then you absolutely must begin some resistance training. Start now, do not wait one single extra day. Sarcopenia has taken hold of you extremely early and your only hope to avoid being housebound and reliant on somebody else to feed you is to fight it off and reverse it.

I have fibro and arthritis (from a long ED) so yes you are right I do need to do some strength training not only cardio :) Thank you for your note @jamesakrobinson
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options

I have fibro and arthritis (from a long ED) so yes you are right I do need to do some strength training not only cardio :) Thank you for your note @jamesakrobinson

Guess that is going to make resistance training a challenge but a worthwhile one.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    Youth has strength on their side, elders have wisdom and treachery.

..... you forgot to capitalize 'Treachery'.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Twelve year olds can be stronger than people in their 30s, assuming the twelve year old was in demanding sports like gymnastics and the person in their thirties was sedentary and didn't lift. I'm in my twenties and my mother in her late fifties, but her arms are still mich stronger than mine while my legs are stronger than hers. Age is largely irrelevant when it comes to strength. Sex and activity level have more to do with it than anything.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How did you even find this thread again?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    :s I HATE getting duped into Necro threads.