Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is CICO the new Keto?

Options

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I can't seem to get the nested quoting to work right, so I'm going to try to respond this way... hopefully it works.
    1. I didn't take it as suggesting of a conflict. It implies the aren't necessarily correlated, which they aren't. Yes, for some, simply being more mindful of how much they eat will lead them to being more mindful of what they eat. But that's certainly not the case for everyone.
    2. I don't think it's exclusive of other diets at all. Cohen was interviewed relative to CICO, so that's what her comments are about. I didn't take her comments as at all relative/relevant to other diets/approaches. About =/= exclusive to.
    3. Again, I didn't take her comments as exclusive to CICO, only relevant to.
    4. Again, not exclusive to.

Cohen repeatedly used words like "can" and "may" rather than "do" or "will". She was asked questions about CICO, not how CICO compared to other diets (as near as I can tell). Her comments were an assessment of CICO, not the pros/cons of CICO vs other diets.
  • jjpptt2
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    But the basic problem with the entire article is that CICO is NOT a diet... it is an energy formula that relates calorie intake to calorie expenditure.

So you're key takeaway from the article was that it didn't specifically mention energy balance or something there abouts?
  • jjpptt2
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Agree to disagree, I guess. I've read the article a few times and fail to see Cohen say any of those things will happen all of the time to every one. I read it as, "CICO is the new fad diet, but here are some of the potential pitfalls"... not "CICO, failure waiting to happen."

To me, reading this thread, it feels like there are some people emotionally tied to CICO which impacts how they read and react to things that question or criticize CICO.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    But the basic problem with the entire article is that CICO is NOT a diet... it is an energy formula that relates calorie intake to calorie expenditure.

So you're key takeaway from the article was that it didn't specifically mention energy balance or something there abouts?

The problem is that it conflates CICO - which is a fact of physics under which all fat loss happens always for everyone regardless of how you do it - with calorie counting. And isn't even correct in most of the things it says as it's a mish-mash of two different things.

Can you elaborate? I understand your point about CICO being the fundamental determinant of fat loss, but you lose me after that.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Irontri7 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Not to derail the post, but what is this from? I have a sudden urge to find out what was said to cause this response.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

The problem is that it conflates CICO - which is a fact of physics under which all fat loss happens always for everyone regardless of how you do it - with calorie counting. And isn't even correct in most of the things it says as it's a mish-mash of two different things.

Can you elaborate? I understand your point about CICO being the fundamental determinant of fat loss, but you lose me after that.

Edited in a bit afterwards.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of that makes any sense to the "people who cut calories and lose weight think they'll be able to eat normally again afterwards, when it actual fact cutting calories means it needs to keep happening" bit is that she meant that one's maintenance Calories will almost certainly be lower (provided one doesn't up his/her TDEE via movement/exercise) than they were before losing weight.

But, that's not actually what she said. And, with the other head-scratching/shaking bits, I'm not sure that's really what she meant, anyway.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Sadly, it's now getting picked up by more "mainstream" sources as well:

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2017/11/12/most-popular-weight-loss-diet-on-reddit-would-never-be-recommended-by-nutritionists.html

Even the title just irks me to no end!
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Irontri7 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Not to derail the post, but what is this from? I have a sudden urge to find out what was said to cause this response.

@aeloine The gif is from Billy Madison. It is in reference to the article, not what anyone said in this discussion.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    She says you "often stop counting nutrients" -- I'd like to know the number of people focusing on nutrients before who stop, to support that "often." Plus, admittedly, this is a pet peeve of mine, since it's so common on MFP for people to make false claims that CICO means not caring about nutrient.

More clearly, she says: "you become obsessed with numbers." This sounds unquestionably like a claim that this WILL happen to everyone.

She then goes on to say: "it's not sustainable." Again, a broad "this will happen" kind of statement -- not it might not be sustainable for everyone, but "it's not sustainable."

She adds to that: "People who cut calories and lose weight think they'll be able to eat normally again afterwards, when it actual fact cutting calories means it needs to keep happening."

No, you don't need to keep cutting calories. You can't eat like you were when gaining weight, of course, but doing calorie counting does not -- as she claims -- mean you think you can.

She's thus either an idiot or just saying what it takes to get a Daily Mail spread (which might make her worse than an idiot). My opinion, anyway.

Again, sorry for my crappy quoting skills...
    1. Here is the complete sentence: "When people calorie count, they often stop counting nutrients and instead just look at the numbers." I saw often as the key word, which is subjective. You saw stop as they key word, which barely even registered for me because of my own bias.
    2. The complete sentence: "CICO might be weight loss 101, but it's not sustainable. People who cut calories and lose weight think they'll be able to eat normally again afterwards, when it actual fact cutting calories means it needs to keep happening" I'll give you that one. That is more of an absolute statement. I don't disagree with what I believe her sentiment was, but it's a bad statement.
    3. I read it as people think they will be able to return their original ways of eating, which they can't/won't. So the way I read it, her statement made perfect sense.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

The problem is that it conflates CICO - which is a fact of physics under which all fat loss happens always for everyone regardless of how you do it - with calorie counting. And isn't even correct in most of the things it says as it's a mish-mash of two different things, to the endeffect as amusedmonkey pointed out that some of the things it claims specifically about CICO could be said equally about her approach, or any approach for that matter, because they're all governed by CICO, whether the advocate of the approach admits it or not.

Again, I didn't read her comments as exclusive of other approaches, only relevant to CICO within the context of the article/interview.
  • jjpptt2
    edited November 2017
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The author is dismissive simply because she is expecting a more specific diet to accomplish her goals. She is also confusing calorie counting with the principle of CICO. Some need to be told specifically what to do. Others want the freedom of flexibility to play with calories and macros.

Overall shows a lack of understanding of CICO and overwhelming bias. Extremely poor reporting.

How many people with weight problems can lose weight (principle of CICO) without some degree of calorie counting? While I agree they aren't the same thing, they certainly go hand in hand much of the time.**

** full disclaimer, I'm a biased calorie counter.