Im loosing motivation

Options
I use to love working out now its such a chore. i have anxiety just anticipating the tough workout ahead, I litterally snap at ppl. I can only train at night and all I want to do is sleep or watch tv. It started when I wasnt seeing the results I wanted when I trained, so i trained harder and got so burnt out. then getting this new job when Im working so many hours is hard enough, i never have time to just relax. I dont want to give up training but Im not sure how to keep going. I just feel overwhelmed

Replies

• CherieQ72
    CherieQ72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. Motivation is never dependable enough to count on, it waxes and wanes. It's commitment that keeps you exercising. That being said, it sounds like you're due for a change up to your routine. Time to try something new!
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i tried to do soemthing new tonight and i couldnt bring myself to do it
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Maybe just take a walk instead of a heavy training session when you aren't feeling it? Walking might energize you.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You need a radical change. I was getting burned out at the gym, so I started running, training for a half marathon. After a good break I went back to the gym, it still wasn't doing it for me. So I found a completely new program that I'm sticking to and it's kicking my butt.
    Another thing you could look into is where you train. Could be that crossfit might work for you. Totally different kind of motivation there - it's not just you, it's the entire place encouraging you to make progress. I know body builders who get burned out at the gym so they also do crossfit. They get the group motivation at crossfit and the motivation sticks with them so they get big gains in the gym.
  • lady_ghost
    Options
    yea i work out at home. i hate the gym i have even less motivation there. i do really well with fitness programs so maybe ill look for a new one.
  • Dukare
    Dukare Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try zumba or something you enjoy but still gives you a burn of calories. ...there are many ways to stay active, and when you feel better, you can get back to the heavy lifting and workouts - staying active is healthy in and of itself.

You got this!
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Discipline is greater than motivation IMHO. We all get run down or discouraged but staying the course will mean greater rewards. If *kitten* was easy everyone would be in great shape.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    are you lifting? if cardio stuff i don't know the answers, but lifters do periodically reach 'walls' where a deload can be very helpful. there's nothing wrong with taking a rest week or a week where you might still do the workouts but give yourself a significant break on intensity, like 50% of the weight you would normally use. some of the intermediate programmes such as wendler's 5/3/1 have a deload built in for every cycle.

another possibility is that you might just have reached your max benefit on a specific programme. the dread and the snapping sure sound familiar . . . but try the deload idea first and see if it helps you any.

i can't speak for anything cardio but i assume the same principles would apply. part of the trick for me in this whole thing has been trying to get better at knowing the difference between 'heart' and 'stubborn' . . . because there is one.

• Joemaxfitness
    Joemaxfitness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try downloading some great music prior to your workouts. If you’re not too sensitive to caffeine, I would invest in some pre-workout for your late nights.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    First, what are your goals? What program are you currently running?

If you weren't seeing the results you want, typically the solution will be diet (deficit, surplus, etc) or quality of workout. Not training harder.

You need to find something you love to do. Lifting gets hard, but if you find yourself burning out or close to your max, switch to something else... more hypertrophy, different variations, etc.

My program has me changing my exercises every month, and the rep schemes are always changing so I don't get stuck as much. So if I get caught up on a certain lift, next month I typically move on to another variation (obviously not a good program if your goal is to gain strength in a particular lift or compete in powerlifting)
  • thapainmaker
    thapainmaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    CherieQ72 wrote: »
    I feel ya. Motivation is never dependable enough to count on, it waxes and wanes. It's commitment that keeps you exercising. That being said, it sounds like you're due for a change up to your routine. Time to try something new!

Time to find a work out partner!!

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've always said that motivation will rise and fall, which is where habit helps me stay consistent.
  • 93pear93
    93pear93 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just take a week off of any workouts.
    Maybe you just need rest and get refreshed.
    Then start with new workout plan, set up a goal and do it! :)
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    I use to love working out now its such a chore. i have anxiety just anticipating the tough workout ahead, I litterally snap at ppl. I can only train at night and all I want to do is sleep or watch tv. It started when I wasnt seeing the results I wanted when I trained, so i trained harder and got so burnt out. then getting this new job when Im working so many hours is hard enough, i never have time to just relax. I dont want to give up training but Im not sure how to keep going. I just feel overwhelmed

You didn't tell us what you are doing in your workouts but you are obviously over-training.

Workout a max of 3 times a week and rest 4 days. M-W-F for example.

Also scale back the volume of your workouts.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You sound like you might be overtrained. You admit to being burned out. How many times a week are you training? How long are your sessions? If you're training at night, how many hours of sleep are you getting?

Its important to find some time to relax for yourself. You admit to not having any so perhaps its no surprise that your brain isn't looking forward to training. You might need to tweak your mindset re how quickly you lose weight. Don't heap even more pressure on yourself by setting stringent deadlines. As long as the scales are moving in the right direction that should be enough.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking you need to work out and not doing it, so your relaxing time is tainted with guilt, give yourself permission to take a break for a set period of time, such as a week. Sleep a lot, catch up on your shows, get adjusted to your new job. Make an appointment with yourself to get back to it after that time.

Then think about what you can commit to right now. You don't have to do hours of cardio or strength - higher intensity cardio and heavy compound lifts don't take as much time. You can do a lot with just fifteen minutes. Almost everyone has fifteen minutes. Maybe you need to do fewer days for a while.

When I just really can't even, I make myself do something light for at least five minutes. By the time I'm up and doing it I usually decide I might as well keep going and do a regular workout.
  • lady_ghost
    Options
    my goals was to have a more curvier figure. but my *kitten* is still flat and i have love handle. ive gained muscle and definition in every other part of my body but my butt stomach and back fat are stikl a struggle. ive lost motivation to tray, i train hard and i see no results. my *kitten* hurts that i cant even sit and yet it has not grown any inches. im now doing that glute guy program and im not getting much out of it. o have to spend an hour activating my glutes and doing that every day just to feel anything. :(
  • lady_ghost
    Options
    butt***
  • JarlDan
    JarlDan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m no expert but it sounds like diet may be the problem not the workout. You may want to try carb cycling to burn the extra fat. Some people do the no carb high fat diet but that’s a little extreme for my tastes. The lack of motivation may also be contributed to your diet, not getting the nutrients and energy your body needs, the more active you are the more fuel it needs. Also you may not be getting enough protein and amino acids to build any more muscle. Stress and rest maybe a factor. You may want to try supplements. You may know all this but those are my thoughts.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    my goals was to have a more curvier figure. but my *kitten* is still flat and i have love handle. ive gained muscle and definition in every other part of my body but my butt stomach and back fat are stikl a struggle. ive lost motivation to tray, i train hard and i see no results. my *kitten* hurts that i cant even sit and yet it has not grown any inches. im now doing that glute guy program and im not getting much out of it. o have to spend an hour activating my glutes and doing that every day just to feel anything. :(

What are your goals in terms of weight/diet... are you in a deficit, maintenance (recomping) or surplus? Gaining (significant) muscle will require at least eating at maintenance or surplus. If you are eating at maintenance, it can be very slow. If you are eating in a surplus, you will gain some fat with the muscle. Genetics will also be a factor in glute growth. Also, try activating your glutes outside of the gym.. while you are cooking, walking, etc. Also, try using bands and play around with food position for more glute activation in your lifts.