Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Open letter to President of American Heart Association as he recovers from a recent heart attack

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Barry7879 wrote: »

Why do you keep posting links but never actually discuss what is in those links?
    Just to sit back and wait for the reactions. There's a word for that.

Well it certainly doesn't create a debate.

Although maybe it does as we are now debating why the OP just wants reactions B)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This is so ghoulish. We don't know Dr Warner's family history or other risk factors. That Dr Davis would use this to drum up publicity or make points about his theories strikes me as really inappropriate.

Heart disease *can* strike anyone. That doesn't mean that there aren't things we can do to reduce our personal risk, but for Davis to say that AHA's statement is "ridiculous" doesn't make any sense to me.

Yep, all of this.

OP, if you want to debate the evidence as to what to do to minimize the risk of heart disease, there are ways to do that. Like maybe start a debate thread called "what can you do to minimize the risk of heart disease."
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    A few days ago I learned that getting a coronary calcium score was only a $100 test.

@AnvilHead, there was one sentence which belonged on a 'wheatbelly' site, and in that it was a denunciation of AHA recommendations. The rest of the open letter was a quite thorough summary of current best science about cardiovascular well-being.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    A few days ago I learned that getting a coronary calcium score was only a $100 test.

@AnvilHead, there was one sentence which belonged on a 'wheatbelly' site, and in that it was a denunciation of AHA recommendations. The rest of the open letter was a quite thorough summary of current best science about cardiovascular well-being.

No, he goes beyond any "best science" with this nonsense:
    But there are many non-drug strategies to identify, then correct, such causes: Removal of all dietary factors that provoke formation of small LDL particles, insulin resistance, and glycation; restoration of vitamin D to a 25-hydroxy vitamin D level of 60-70 ng/ml that exerts anti-inflammatory effects such as reduction of abnormal activation of matrix metalloproteinase; a dose of omega-3 fatty acids sufficient to generate an RBC omega-3 index of 10% or greater associated with dramatic reduction in cardiovascular events, reduction in small LDL, and subdued postprandial atherogenic lipoprotein patterns; restoration of ideal thyroid status, given the extravagant increase in risk with TSH values even in the high “normal” range; cultivation of healthy bowel flora to correct the common dysbiosis caused by sugar consumption, chlorinated water, antibiotic exposure, pesticide/herbicide exposure, and common drugs such as H2-blockers and PPIs for acid reflux.

Additionally, his idea on the dietary interventions needed don't wash with an interesting tidbit that niggles: Otzi the iceman had CAD.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Otzi the iceman had CAD, but he didn't have vodka.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    This is so ghoulish. We don't know Dr Warner's family history or other risk factors. That Dr Davis would use this to drum up publicity or make points about his theories strikes me as really inappropriate.

Heart disease *can* strike anyone. That doesn't mean that there aren't things we can do to reduce our personal risk, but for Davis to say that AHA's statement is "ridiculous" doesn't make any sense to me.

Agree 100%!!

The guy that started the jogging craze back in the day and made a pretty penny with his books touting exercise as the way to stay healthy died of a heart attack while jogging. That does not mean jogging won't lower your risk for heart disease.