Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Open letter to President of American Heart Association as he recovers from a recent heart attack

Options

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    That article is full of kinda truths and massive jumps in reaching conclusions.

Riskfactors for coronary artery disease are just that. Risk factors.

Some, like non familial cholesterol issues, obesity, smoking and the oxidative/inflammatory effects of each, some kinds of hypertension etc are modifiable.

Others, like age, gender, familial hypercholestemia, some types of hypertension, genetic predisposition, diabetes, clotting disorders etc etc are not.

This article is some guys muddied science with a dash of pseudoscience opinion.

I will concede though, there is some evidence that statins lower your cholesterol but not your risk of heart attack, necessarily. There is still s greater base of evidence that they help though, thus they are part of the goldstandard pharmaceutical management of coronary artery disease.

I write this from the perspective of the nurse that deploys the stents in the blocked arteries of people having heart attacks.
  • Barry7879
    Barry7879 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

Some, like non familial cholesterol issues, obesity, smoking and the oxidative/inflammatory effects of each, some kinds of hypertension etc are modifiable.

Others, like age, gender, familial hypercholestemia, some types of hypertension, genetic predisposition, diabetes, clotting disorders etc etc are not.

I will concede though, there is some evidence that statins lower your cholesterol but not your risk of heart attack, necessarily. There is still s greater base of evidence that they help though, thus they are part of the goldstandard pharmaceutical management of coronary artery disease.

I write this from the perspective of the nurse that deploys the stents in the blocked arteries of people having heart attacks.

Thanks for your thoughts. What do you think about calcium scoring MRIs as in his point 3? If they are as conclusive as the author states, I don't understand why the AHA would resist them?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@adv/documents/downloadable/ucm_437479.pdf

AHA explanation of the position that they are taking.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/high-tech-heart-tests-and-procedures-you-may-not-need-and-why

Discussion of why it does not make sense to require various tests for asymptomatic adults (this is similar to the discussions over when to start recommending people get routine mammograms or prostate checks).

http://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2014/05/20/14/40/cover-story-coronary-artery-calcium

Discussion of the issue.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's a story about Jim Fixx, a running guru, who died at age 52 of a heart attack (1984).

Nathan Pritkin, diet and fitness guru, died of leukemia (1985). He died with excellent cardiovascular health however.

I admit to casting these messages in doubt because of the cause of death.
  • Barry7879
    Barry7879 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@adv/documents/downloadable/ucm_437479.pdf

AHA explanation of the position that they are taking.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/high-tech-heart-tests-and-procedures-you-may-not-need-and-why

Discussion of why it does not make sense to require various tests for asymptomatic adults (this is similar to the discussions over when to start recommending people get routine mammograms or prostate checks).

http://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2014/05/20/14/40/cover-story-coronary-artery-calcium

Discussion of the issue.

Thanks! Very interesting - especially the acc.org one. Was interesting to read them singing the praises of Statins though. I just watched the movie Statin Nation a few months ago. The gist of it was that some evidence shows they only improve total morbidity for 1 in 100 people and have a lot of side effects for many. I guess that many have been discussed before so i'll do a search.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Barry7879 wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »

Thanks for your thoughts. What do you think about calcium scoring MRIs as in his point 3? If they are as conclusive as the author states, I don't understand why the AHA would resist them?

Calcium scores are done as part of a CT angiogram. They are widely referred to here (in Australia) and considered as part of a patients risk burden for coronary artery disease, however my understanding is that the my can be very misleading particularly in the presence of comorbidity such as diabetes etc and their significance is open to broad interpretation.

CT coronary angiograms in themselves, though less invasive than formal angiograms. There are a lot of false positives and not quite right info deduced from them.

For example, CT might say moderate to severe lesion in the mid circumflex, when there’s really only a mild clinically insignificant lesion in the right coronary artery (which in some people supplies a similar territory of muscle). Sometimes they are spot on though.

Another interesting point is that anyone with a suspicion of coronary artery disease on CT (where they measure the calcium score) will be sent for a formal coronary angiogram in a cardiac catheterisation lab.

That makes 2 expensive investigations rather than just having a proper look the first time. The formal fluoroscopy angiogram is the gold standard. An interventionalist cardiologist can treat a severe lesion as they see it in most cases,

Also, not all blockages are calcified. And, not all calcified areas (while not great) are causing any impairment to blood flow to heart muscle.

The angry dude is not *wrong* exactly, really.

What he’s arguing has pretty well grounded and evidence based counter arguments to explain why he’s not right.

Also, using a person’s misfortune for what is essentially a political (him vs the machine that is the medical/cardiac patriarchy) is douchey.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    There is a word for people who become smug when someone they disagree with dies in an "ironic" manner (ie health professional dying of heart attack). They are called A**holes.

So much this.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    This is interesting - How would any of us create a healthier thyroid?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist died of a massive coronary. He was outwardly one of the healthiest people I knew. :(