What’s the worst thing your mother in law has done/said?

Options

Replies

• PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    She moved into my house, wouldn't let me cook or clean.

Which really sucked, because I don't eat meat and they do.

Then she threw out my cleaning stuff and took it upon herself to do everything in my house. Then to top it all off she told the neighbours that I was lazy and didn't know how to cook. While I was basically living off of cereal that I would hide and eat. In my own home.

She blamed me that her son would smoke in the house, and told me I couldn't work out before work anymore because it bothered her.

I kicked her out on her butt eventually, and she told every person in my small town why I was an evil woman. This really effected my business and cost me a lot of money. No matter what, neither my husband's dad or my husband would stand up to her. Because if you made her upset, all of a sudden she'd be in the hospital dying of something.

We've since made up, but I'm still very cautious around her. There is a lesson here folks, do not let your MIL move in your house.

She sounds lovely. How did this effect your relationship with your husband-given that he wouldn't stand up to her and then you booted her out?
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law? she's a sweetie cake. My own mother however....she's pulled a knife on me before.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love my mother-in-law. She's awesome with her grandkids and takes them without complaint. She's always doing nice stuff for us and always made sure I had a good meal when I was in the hospital with my son. I really lucked out with my husbands family.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My MIL passed before I ever had a chance to meet her. Family members say we would have gotten along well.

As for FIL....
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Mine was always respectful of me. Worse thing that ever happened was that she developed dementia and then passed away, saddening my wife and her family.

Dementia is a awful disease and really hard on a family. Sorry to hear about that. I also lost someone special to me to that.

My Uncle (below Young and old) is now experiencing the first stages. My wife and I are planning a trip next Summer to see him. My Aunt and he have been married 65 years. It is very sad to see. Other than my Dad, there was no other man I respected as much.

467m1qbloiud.png
    ovabz49h9a7k.png

Beautiful couple.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »

Then she threw out my cleaning stuff and took it upon herself to do everything in my house. Then to top it all off she told the neighbours that I was lazy and didn't know how to cook. While I was basically living off of cereal that I would hide and eat. In my own home.

She blamed me that her son would smoke in the house, and told me I couldn't work out before work anymore because it bothered her.

I kicked her out on her butt eventually, and she told every person in my small town why I was an evil woman. This really effected my business and cost me a lot of money. No matter what, neither my husband's dad or my husband would stand up to her. Because if you made her upset, all of a sudden she'd be in the hospital dying of something.

We've since made up, but I'm still very cautious around her. There is a lesson here folks, do not let your MIL move in your house.

She sounds lovely. How did this effect your relationship with your husband-given that he wouldn't stand up to her and then you booted her out?

He seconded the booting out because I was so done and ready to go myself if she didn't go. He had to second the booting out, because despite me telling them to leave, they just ignored me. Like it wasn't my house or something.

I have to say this was nine years ago, and we get along great now. There is something to be said for standing up for yourself and letting someone know their actions are not going to be endured. She didn't speak to us for a few years, but they came around and now we live about an hour away from them.

You teach people how to treat you. And if they don't learn the lesson, you need to get out of the situation and distance yourself until they learn how to treat you. No matter who they are to you.
  • PAFC84
    Options

He seconded the booting out because I was so done and ready to go myself if she didn't go. He had to second the booting out, because despite me telling them to leave, they just ignored me. Like it wasn't my house or something.

I have to say this was nine years ago, and we get along great now. There is something to be said for standing up for yourself and letting someone know their actions are not going to be endured. She didn't speak to us for a few years, but they came around and now we live about an hour away from them.

You teach people how to treat you. And if they don't learn the lesson, you need to get out of the situation and distance yourself until they learn how to treat you. No matter who they are to you.

Like a pet.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    When XH announced we were engaged, former MIL's first response was: Is she pregnant? Why else would you propose? - in front of me. That was the first time we met. To her credit she did at least act like I wasn't in the room, although she was holding my left forearm while she said it. While planning the wedding she was always quick to tell me how and why everything I arranged was a bad idea, but she wanted to invite every person she may have ever stood within 5 feet of. It improved over the years, but it was a very rough start.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    In the spirit of the holidays....

In the spirit of the holidays I will just say she has hurt her son repeatedly since childhood and is mentally ill.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    She keeps discouraging my 15 year old daughter from being interested in "boy things". She discourages auto mechanics, engineering, welding, etc. Tells her she should be a hand model or an interior designer.

Otherwise, she's really nice, but I'm still grateful she's my ex MIL.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Like a pet.

Yes, like a pet. A training if you will.

I've never had to kick one of my dogs out though.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    She keeps discouraging my 15 year old daughter from being interested in "boy things". She discourages auto mechanics, engineering, welding, etc. Tells her she should be a hand model or an interior designer.

Otherwise, she's really nice, but I'm still grateful she's my ex MIL.

hand modeling can be quite the rewarding career....
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My MIL lives 6500 miles away and doesn't speak English. The very little she does speak we try to communicate and I've tried learning some things in Arabic. So...I don't have any negative things! Plus they don't celebrate the holidays we celebrate so no issues there either!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I think mine means well, however she is agrees with what ever you have to say even if it is BS or "fake news". She loves to gossip even if its about her own kids (I would love to know what she says about me). She's also the same person who told me to not lift weights because she did and she couldn't fit into her clothes any more because she was too bulky. Same person who told me to try the HCG diet (nope) because her sister is doing it and you can lose a ton of weight and eat what you want as long as you use the drops.

The only thing she has done that has really burned me up was she recently told my son he eats unhealthy and he's fatter than the other kids. He's 8, he's picky and he's not fat. He has always been big since birth. He eats healthy foods because I cook just about every meal he eats and know what snacks he consumes. She just doesn't ask what he likes so she never has it when he goes to her house. Now I have an 8 year old who is asking me if he needs to lose weight and gets on the scale every night to see if he's gaining. Ugh...MILs
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    My MIL lives 6500 miles away and doesn't speak English.

This sounds like a dream come true.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    My children were her favorites. She gave my oldest daughter $2,000/semester for college, my youngest $1,000/semester. Another grandchild $1,000/yr for votech, and another grandchild $0.00(yes, he went to college) because he would never amount to anything.
    An update- my oldest is a stay at home mom, youngest works in her degree field, one who went to votech has a good job, not exactly what he went to school for, one who got nothing has a steady job, nice wife, good home--in my books a successful person.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    My children were her favorites. She gave my oldest daughter $2,000/semester for college, my youngest $1,000/semester. Another grandchild $1,000/yr for votech, and another grandchild $0.00(yes, he went to college) because he would never amount to anything.
    An update- my oldest is a stay at home mom, youngest works in her degree field, one who went to votech has a good job, not exactly what he went to school for, one who got nothing has a steady job, nice wife, good home--in my books a successful person.

That is so hurtful. I just dont understand people at all.

• PAFC84
    Options

Like a pet.

Yes, like a pet. A training if you will.

I've never had to kick one of my dogs out though.

Do you keep doggie treats on hands for when they do something right.....the people, not the dogs?