5'5 female wanting to gain 16kg

Options
Heyy guyss,

I need a bit of help on gaining weight 16kg, I'm 5'5 at 59kg eating about 2.9k calories a day. How long will it take for me to gain 16kg? altogether?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    That's impossible to answer without knowing how much of a surplus that is. I'm 5ft5, and if I consistently ate that much, I'd very quickly put on 16kgs of mostly fat. (I've been there, no plan to go back)

Are you following a progressive lifting program? I'd be taking weight gain slowly to try and minimise fat gain - it would likely require a number of bulk and cut cycles. Are you planning on being a pro bodybuilder?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Missing one piece of information.....you age! We have gender (female), height (5'5" | 165cm) and weight (130lbs | 59kg). That last piece of information will help us find your maintenance caloric intake (well, it will be from a TDEE calculator - so it will be 'somewhat close').

What are your goals for this weight gain? How fast | slow did you want | need to gain the weight?

I would say that gaining 16kg | 35lbs would take you about 35 weeks! Well, anywhere between 17 and 35 weeks. I would suggest more towards 35 weeks.....but that is looking at your question from your stated goal of gaining 16kgs | 35lbs.
  • PrincessSoraya27
    PrincessSoraya27 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's impossible to answer without knowing how much of a surplus that is. I'm 5ft5, and if I consistently ate that much, I'd very quickly put on 16kgs of mostly fat. (I've been there, no plan to go back)

Are you following a progressive lifting program? I'd be taking weight gain slowly to try and minimise fat gain - it would likely require a number of bulk and cut cycles. Are you planning on being a pro bodybuilder?

Thanks for response! I am not following any programme and not particularly worried about building muscle of any sort. I'm 19 years old
  • PrincessSoraya27
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Missing one piece of information.....you age! We have gender (female), height (5'5" | 165cm) and weight (130lbs | 59kg). That last piece of information will help us find your maintenance caloric intake (well, it will be from a TDEE calculator - so it will be 'somewhat close').

What are your goals for this weight gain? How fast | slow did you want | need to gain the weight?

I would say that gaining 16kg | 35lbs would take you about 35 weeks! Well, anywhere between 17 and 35 weeks. I would suggest more towards 35 weeks.....but that is looking at your question from your stated goal of gaining 16kgs | 35lbs.

Thanks for the response!
  • PrincessSoraya27
    Options
    I'm 19 years old and want to gain as fast as possible because I feel like I am underweight
  • PrincessSoraya27
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I'm 19 years old and want to gain as fast as possible because I feel like I am underweight

You're actually at a healthy weight, and your goal would put you into the overweight range. We don't know anything about your frame size, but this is something that could be an issue in the long run.

Thank you for the response!
  • PrincessSoraya27
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I do not do exercise of any sort by the way only walk for about 20 minutes 3X in a week.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

For a lot of my adult life I was around 80kg. I dropped down to 55kg, now sit at about 62kg. I would never want to be 75kg again, even with more muscle than I currently have (which I have trained hard to get)

I'm not sure who or what makes you think you're underweight. Even if you were, trying to gain weight as fast as possible, with no exercise, would result in a lot of excess fat which isn't healthy.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Well said @psuLemon ... Agreed
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thanks for response! I am not following any programme and not particularly worried about building muscle of any sort. I'm 19 years old

you just want to get fat? your 'goal' weight will make you overweight.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5" and about 60kg.
    I've been everything from 48.5kg (bad) to about 65kg (squishy) and my current 60kg takes time, effort and heavy lifting to maintain.
    I'm a size 4-6 (US) which on my frame looks bang on perfect.
    (I've posted some pictures of me in other threads which you can probably get to via my profile or something? Am on the work computer at the moment though...)

As @livingleanlivingclean says - why do you think you're underweight and why do you feel like you need to be heavier?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    One thing I have learned, especially in this forum, fast weight gain has never gotten a person the body they wanted. Most, if not all, is fat and a lot of it goes to the stomach. If you are going to gain weight, do it right the first time. Do it slow and follow some kind of resistance training so you can add some muscle. Even a simple progressive overload body weight program can work effectively.

key take away: Don't get short sighted by short term perceptions.. think long term.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Totally agree as well. However, I am learning......all I am going to comment to folks doing something like this is present the details, suggest - as I did - that they might want to rethink this approach - and let them decide for themselves. It gets a little bit tiresome "arguing" with folks! :blush:
  • PrincessSoraya27
    edited November 2017
    Options
  • PrincessSoraya27
    edited November 2017
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    I'm 5'5.5" and about 60kg.
    I've been everything from 48.5kg (bad) to about 65kg (squishy) and my current 60kg takes time, effort and heavy lifting to maintain.
    I'm a size 4-6 (US) which on my frame looks bang on perfect.
    (I've posted some pictures of me in other threads which you can probably get to via my profile or something? Am on the work computer at the moment though...)

As @livingleanlivingclean says - why do you think you're underweight and why do you feel like you need to be heavier?

Thank you all for your contributions I might just gain 6kg to reach 65 then see how I look. My aim is not to
    be 'fat' or unhealthy. Its just that I've been 48kg before and when I look back at pictures I am uncomfortable so I want to settle for a weight that wont make me easily regress.

Also I'm size 6-8 in the Uk for top and bottoms. I want to reach maybe a 10. When I dont eat that well for maybe 2 weeks my weight decreases so fast without me realizing, when I step on the scale I see from a 60 to 57 which worries me.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I suggest to step away from the scale and focus on measurements. You're at a healthy weight, try recomp (losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously) there's a great thread in the maintaining weight forum. Otherwise eat at a much smaller surplus. Either way, you need a progressive lifting program. It's not all about aesthetics. Your health is more important, and you're going to create some serious health risks with your approach.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

At your current weight and height, you are hight to weight proportionate.

My profile pic has me at 64KG at 5'6", you are shorter and shooting to weigh 24 more lbs than that, that would put you in the overweight category of the BMI scale. So unless you carry a lot of muscle and are in the 10% BF% there would be no reason to gain that much. 2-3KGs maybe, or if you want to be a bodybuilder, then16KG may be a decent goal.

according to BMI charts, healthy weight would be 51.1 to 71.8KG's and you are looking at getting to 75KGs.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You do realize that your desired gain will put you at a BMI of 27.5, right? Not saying that BMI is the end-all, be-all... but if you gain 16 kg "quickly" it will probably be more fat than muscle...