Hitting macro's but loosing weight?!

Options
OK, so I've been trying to bulk up for a few months, but have just been doing it half hearted I guess. After getting this app it's told me what I need to do, so I'm doing it and I'm hitting my goals, ive stuck with it for a week now eating SO much more food.. but I've lost 2kg!?
1st question: is that water weight I've lost because I've lacked drinking water?
Or 2: have I burned fat.. and just not gained muscle?! Not sure what to do. Thanks

Replies

• neilgib28
    neilgib28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Probably need to stick with it for a few weeks and then re-assess, too early to tell. Use other indicators (measurements, %BF if possible), to help you come to a conclusion. If you are accurately logging your intake and you are still genuinely losing then increase cals by ~250 and see how it goes...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Also, if you are following the MFP method, you should be eating back exercise calories?
  • Aussie_Iron
    Aussie_Iron Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I shall stick with it but it was a slap in the face when I hit the scales.
    I'm eating 3,060 Cals, I read on another discussion to eat your body weight in protein? MFP says for me 153g but I weigh 187lb.. so do I need more protein for muscle or carbs?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks, I shall stick with it but it was a slap in the face when I hit the scales.
    I'm eating 3,060 Cals, I read on another discussion to eat your body weight in protein? MFP says for me 153g but I weigh 187lb.. so do I need more protein for muscle or carbs?

Protein is more of a range. Anywhere between 1.5 to 2.2g/kg is fine. So aiming for at least 150g is good.

Also, 3k might not be enough.. I know that is where I maintain and I am a 35 yr old at 5'11 and 175. So if you don't see weight gain by next week, I'd add another 300 calories.
  • Aussie_Iron
    Options
    Sorry, I've hit my calories but my fats are lacking. Guess it's just trial and adjustments!
    But can I ask is it possible I've lost fat in that time and not built muscle but just maintained it.. that's what I'm hoping lol
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Sorry, I've hit my calories but my fats are lacking. Guess it's just trial and adjustments!
    But can I ask is it possible I've lost fat in that time and not built muscle but just maintained it.. that's what I'm hoping lol

Hitting your fat number isnt as important as calories. And yes, you could have just lost some fat and or water.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    OK, so I've been trying to bulk up for a few months, but have just been doing it half hearted I guess. After getting this app it's told me what I need to do, so I'm doing it and I'm hitting my goals, ive stuck with it for a week now eating SO much more food.. but I've lost 2kg!?
    1st question: is that water weight I've lost because I've lacked drinking water?
    Or 2: have I burned fat.. and just not gained muscle?! Not sure what to do. Thanks

You said you've been doing this for a week now? But you've only been here on mfp since today? And you've lost the 2 kg in what time period? Did you weigh on the exact same scale under the exact same conditions? In the week that you've been tracking or whatever you've been doing--has your diet changed much? Have you given up processed food or anything like that?
  • Aussie_Iron
    Options
    I've been doing it for a while but only seriously for a week on MFP. I just remembered I cut all milk out of diet and have been having water and only cooking chicken and rice basicly
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I've been doing it for a while but only seriously for a week on MFP. I just remembered I cut all milk out of diet and have been having water and only cooking chicken and rice basicly

You can eat a variety of foods, you dont just need to do the "bro" diet. This should be enjoyable and sustainable. Besides milk is high in protein. And if you want extra good milk, fairlife chocolate is the bomb.
  • SpideyWebSlinger
    SpideyWebSlinger Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ya, sometimes your body needs time to adjust. Just make sure you’re eating enough proteins and healthy fats and drinking water.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Why would you cut out milk?!
  • mitch16
    Options

Unless there is a medical reason to cut out dairy, there is no reason to cut out milk.

Your diet looks more like a cut diet than a bulk diet. Simply put, if you are trying to gain muscle you need to be at a caloric surplus. It doesn't matter how you get that surplus--you could eat sticks of butter rolled in sugar to get you there--certainly whole foods, meats, fruit, veggies, etc. are probably better than eating McD every day...

Add some variety to your diet. And some fat. Without fat your body will not make as much testosterone--not good.
  • Aussie_Iron
    Options

Oh, well I told the guy at the protein shop I was having milk, cream, and oil with banana and eggs for a shake. And he said too much dairy have it with water. So I bought the protein powder and have it with water and stopped what I was doing :neutral:
  • Aussie_Iron
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

Unless there is a medical reason to cut out dairy, there is no reason to cut out milk.

Your diet looks more like a cut diet than a bulk diet. Simply put, if you are trying to gain muscle you need to be at a caloric surplus. It doesn't matter how you get that surplus--you could eat sticks of butter rolled in sugar to get you there--certainly whole foods, meats, fruit, veggies, etc. are probably better than eating McD every day...

Add some variety to your diet. And some fat. Without fat your body will not make as much testosterone--not good.

Thanks for the info mitch! Can I ask what's your go to calorie overload snack or meal? Unless it secretly is the better and sugar.. haha
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    For a lot of people it's pnut butter or ice cream!
  • mitch16
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

Thanks for the info mitch! Can I ask what's your go to calorie overload snack or meal? Unless it secretly is the better and sugar.. haha

Ha--I actually have the opposite issue--I'm in losing to maintaining mode...

I have a teenage son who is an elite athlete and a hard gainer however--his favorite foods are all fruit. He's 5'10" and just got to the point where the scale stays above 150 lbs. Body fat is maybe 15-18%. He's not done growing yet.

We end up eating a lot of red meat in our house. He gets a double portion along with vegetables and potatoes or rice (I skip the starch). PB&J sandwiches as a snack, multiple per day if possible--ideally with whole grain bread and natural peanut butter, but even Uncrustables work in a pinch. Full fat yogurt (he doesn't like Greek yogurt, but will eat Siggi's). I keep pints of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer. Protein powder added to milkshakes and smoothies. Second breakfast at 9:30 am or 4th meals are encouraged. Some day this might all catch up to him...

One of my good friends who didn't even weigh enough to donate blood was pregnant with twins and was having difficulty gaining--she had a hard time eating 1200 calories a day, let alone the 3k+ to maintain her healthy pregnancy. The butter rolled in sugar was the suggestion from her RD!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Oh, well I told the guy at the protein shop I was having milk, cream, and oil with banana and eggs for a shake. And he said too much dairy have it with water. So I bought the protein powder and have it with water and stopped what I was doing :neutral:

he saw you coming, didn't he! :laugh:
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

Heard of people pounding spoons of olive oil to up calories and incorporate more fat. Adding banana, peanut butter, milk, and even oats back into your protein shake will help to up your calories too.

Found this to be an interesting read a while back regarding protein intake (Take home copied below)
    https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Take Home Messages
    • There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle for natural trainees. This already includes a mark-up, since most research finds no more benefits after 0.64 g/lb.

^so you should be good with 150g/day
  • Aussie_Iron
    Options

he saw you coming, didn't he! :laugh:

Dude. I felt so ripped off when I got home too. The protein says use 3 scoops per shake! I think what I was doing was way better and cheaper.. I wouldn't want to swing at him though.. he's huge