Options
2»

Replies

• Aussie_Iron
    Aussie_Iron Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I've been doing it for a while but only seriously for a week on MFP. I just remembered I cut all milk out of diet and have been having water and only cooking chicken and rice basicly

Unless there is a medical reason to cut out dairy, there is no reason to cut out milk.

Your diet looks more like a cut diet than a bulk diet. Simply put, if you are trying to gain muscle you need to be at a caloric surplus. It doesn't matter how you get that surplus--you could eat sticks of butter rolled in sugar to get you there--certainly whole foods, meats, fruit, veggies, etc. are probably better than eating McD every day...

Add some variety to your diet. And some fat. Without fat your body will not make as much testosterone--not good.

Thanks for the info mitch! Can I ask what's your go to calorie overload snack or meal? Unless it secretly is the better and sugar.. haha

Ha--I actually have the opposite issue--I'm in losing to maintaining mode...

I have a teenage son who is an elite athlete and a hard gainer however--his favorite foods are all fruit. He's 5'10" and just got to the point where the scale stays above 150 lbs. Body fat is maybe 15-18%. He's not done growing yet.

We end up eating a lot of red meat in our house. He gets a double portion along with vegetables and potatoes or rice (I skip the starch). PB&J sandwiches as a snack, multiple per day if possible--ideally with whole grain bread and natural peanut butter, but even Uncrustables work in a pinch. Full fat yogurt (he doesn't like Greek yogurt, but will eat Siggi's). I keep pints of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer. Protein powder added to milkshakes and smoothies. Second breakfast at 9:30 am or 4th meals are encouraged. Some day this might all catch up to him...

One of my good friends who didn't even weigh enough to donate blood was pregnant with twins and was having difficulty gaining--she had a hard time eating 1200 calories a day, let alone the 3k+ to maintain her healthy pregnancy. The butter rolled in sugar was the suggestion from her RD!

Thanks for the read! I'm in Australia so some of those products I'll have to Google haha.
    I'm gunnar punch in to MFP butter roles in sugar and see what it comes up too lol

In regards to meat, I've read not to eat it too late be for bed, it's not good in your stomach? I get home at 8pm so I rarely eat it, unless it's on a day off. If I reheat steak etc. For lunch I sit there chewing like a cow for an hour
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a while but only seriously for a week on MFP. I just remembered I cut all milk out of diet and have been having water and only cooking chicken and rice basicly

Unless there is a medical reason to cut out dairy, there is no reason to cut out milk.

Your diet looks more like a cut diet than a bulk diet. Simply put, if you are trying to gain muscle you need to be at a caloric surplus. It doesn't matter how you get that surplus--you could eat sticks of butter rolled in sugar to get you there--certainly whole foods, meats, fruit, veggies, etc. are probably better than eating McD every day...

Add some variety to your diet. And some fat. Without fat your body will not make as much testosterone--not good.

Thanks for the info mitch! Can I ask what's your go to calorie overload snack or meal? Unless it secretly is the better and sugar.. haha

I have a teenage son who is an elite athlete and a hard gainer however--his favorite foods are all fruit. He's 5'10" and just got to the point where the scale stays above 150 lbs. Body fat is maybe 15-18%. He's not done growing yet.

We end up eating a lot of red meat in our house. He gets a double portion along with vegetables and potatoes or rice (I skip the starch). PB&J sandwiches as a snack, multiple per day if possible--ideally with whole grain bread and natural peanut butter, but even Uncrustables work in a pinch. Full fat yogurt (he doesn't like Greek yogurt, but will eat Siggi's). I keep pints of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer. Protein powder added to milkshakes and smoothies. Second breakfast at 9:30 am or 4th meals are encouraged. Some day this might all catch up to him...

One of my good friends who didn't even weigh enough to donate blood was pregnant with twins and was having difficulty gaining--she had a hard time eating 1200 calories a day, let alone the 3k+ to maintain her healthy pregnancy. The butter rolled in sugar was the suggestion from her RD!

better yet - add some flour, vanilla, and eggs. Now I want some cookie dough.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    There are ~820 calories in 115 g of butter and ~385 calories in 100 g of sugar... 1205 calories!
  • Aussie_Iron
    Options
    There are ~820 calories in 115 g of butter and ~385 calories in 100 g of sugar... 1205 calories!

Holy hell! But none of that will build muscle.. or there's no protein. . Or am I missing something. Calorie surplus to grow I understand that, but protein to build muscle.. so how can you grow muscle from those calories?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Thanks for the read! I'm in Australia so some of those products I'll have to Google haha.
    I'm gunnar punch in to MFP butter roles in sugar and see what it comes up too lol

In regards to meat, I've read not to eat it too late be for bed, it's not good in your stomach? I get home at 8pm so I rarely eat it, unless it's on a day off. If I reheat steak etc. For lunch I sit there chewing like a cow for an hour

unless you have stomach issues ,GERD or something like that then your stomach and body is going to process it no matter what the time is.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

Holy hell! But none of that will build muscle.. or there's no protein. . Or am I missing something. Calorie surplus to grow I understand that, but protein to build muscle.. so how can you grow muscle from those calories?

Your total protein intake through out the day is what is important. If you hit that goal, after that is really up to yoi. More protein =/= more muscle. Its just not a linear relationship like that.

And you can definitely eat late at night..
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Your total protein intake through out the day is what is important. If you hit that goal, after that is really up to yoi. More protein =/= more muscle. Its just not a linear relationship like that.

And you can definitely eat late at night..

Kind of like how you don't get fat solely from eating fat. You do need the amino acids from the protein to repair and build muscles, but then you fill the muscle tissue up with glycogen from the carbs.
  • Aussie_Iron
    Options
    Just when your kinda doing OK, the weather changes. It gets hot and you don't feel like eating nor can you be bothered doing anything when you get home. It's a tough balance!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

but you're not only eating those 1205 cals... you're eating other things that include protein?
  • Aussie_Iron
    edited December 2017
    Options

but you're not only eating those 1205 cals... you're eating other things that include protein?

Yes, was just saying there's no protein in sugar and butter but that will help boost the calories after you hit your protein mark
  • ritzvin
    Options

Yes, was just saying there's no protein in sugar and butter but that will help boost the calories after you hit your protein mark

Exactly. (I would definitely go with the tasty tube of cookie dough (or a pile of chocolate bars) over dipping the stick of butter in some sugar though..enjoy those wonderful, wonderful calories).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ..or cheesecake..or creme brulee... or tres leches cake.......
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just when your kinda doing OK, the weather changes. It gets hot and you don't feel like eating nor can you be bothered doing anything when you get home. It's a tough balance!

thats when ice cream becomes your friend...
  • Aussie_Iron
    Options

thats when ice cream becomes your friend...

Omg. I'd hate to be lactose intolerant. How would they cope!