So this guy was grunting in my gym....

Options
One night, there was this guy who was pushing himself hard on his bench press sets. You could hear him breathing hard, and at one point, he started grunting. The look of determination on his face was unmistakable.

The grunting got louder toward the end. On his last rep -- well, he wasn't screaming, but you could tell that he was going to give this one more mighty effort. His grunt sounded almost like he was in pain. Guess what happened?

The guys nearby cheered him on. "Go, man, go! You've got this!" And he did.

That gym is a pretty serious one. People aren't loud and obnoxious, but they don't play around either. People don't treat it like a library or a social club. Dropping weights onto the hard floor isn't allowed, but there is a deadlifting platform that people can use. And the regular patrons understand that a measure of grunting is often warranted when people are pushing themselves hard, trying to squeeze out those last few heavy reps.

Of course, yelling and screaming would probably be frowned up. I wouldn't know, since people don't do that sort of thing there.

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great gym!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Sounds like a great gym!

I agree
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone at my gym incorporates Olympic lifting into their program in some manner or another...so lots of grunting and plenty of bumper plates falling to the platform.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    It's also not one of those prissy gyms where people are expected to wipe the equipment down after every use. Of course, if someone leaves a puddle of sweat, they are expected to wipe it off. But not if you were just sitting on a bench or machine to crank out a few reps.

I like that. At the risk of offending some folks, I've observed that the more serious gymgoers are pretty pragmatic in that regard. The more delicate ones are more likely to say, "Ewww! Someone sat on this before me! Ewww!"

My gym charges $1 per session to rent a towel to wipe things down with. Nobody does it. If someone gets real sweaty, they tend to grab some paper towels and wow things down. But that's not common.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    It's also not one of those prissy gyms where people are expected to wipe the equipment down after every use. Of course, if someone leaves a puddle of sweat, they are expected to wipe it off. But not if you were just sitting on a bench or machine to crank out a few reps.

I like that. At the risk of offending some folks, I've observed that the more serious gymgoers are pretty pragmatic in that regard. The more delicate ones are more likely to say, "Ewww! Someone sat on this before me! Ewww!"

My gym charges $1 per session to rent a towel to wipe things down with. Nobody does it. If someone gets real sweaty, they tend to grab some paper towels and wow things down. But that's not common.

We have dispensers with wet wipes throughout the gym. I use them if I leave any sweat on a bench - although I'm not really an *kitten* or back sweater. It's just my face that gets drenched. Had a guy a few weeks ago, new guy, haven't seen him since. But for some reason he was following behind me and using the exact same equipment and benches I was using. I found it a bit unsettling but it also made me feel a compulsion to wipe down the equipment after I used it... until I noticed that he would come behind me and wipe it down again, and I mean really really wipe it down. He even got into the creases of the leather where it's rolled at the edges of a bench. Wiped down the knurling on the bars. Wiped off the plates before he'd grab them. I found it a bit offensive and funny at the same time. It must be hard to be in a public place like that when you are that germ phobic. lol
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Not to go off topic too much...but REALLY? Your gym charges you extra to use towels? I hope the membership fee is very low.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    There are a couple guys at my gym who grunt quite a bit. The one that bothers me is the guy who is obviously doing it solely for attention. If he is lifting on the other side of the gym (not that it is very big anyway), he's silent. But then will loudly groan and grunt when just walking past me... and he would walk around the gym pretty much constantly between sets just to have an opportunity to grunt and groan as he walks around past everyone repeatedly.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    That's nothing...I use the competition bench hidden in the back room at my gym. Sometimes, I scream so loudly that it sounds like I'm giving birth.

No one complains...even if they do, I can't hear the complaining.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Not to go off topic too much...but REALLY? Your gym charges you extra to use towels? I hope the membership fee is very low.

That was my reaction, too, but maybe with more swearing. I found this out after I'd signed up. :frowning:
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My first time ever in the gym, while my PT was carrying out initial assessment all I could hear was some buy grunting, scared the life out of me. Two years on it is highly likely to be me grunting, that’s the 5ft 3, size 8 almost 60 year old grandma. Have to admit the first time that happened I scared myself
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Is this just supposed to be a cute little story, or am I missing something..?
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I missed the punchline to the story.....

Side note-Am I the only one who thinks grunting is hot?