Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ....okay
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Most people at my gym grunt, including me, but the one who cracks me up is a guy who says "Oh *kitten*" under his breath with every rep. I'm not even sure he realizes he's doing it. You can't hear it unless you've next to him. There's another guy who says, "Easy weight, easy weight..." power of positive thinking!

Wiping equipment down is something I take seriously after watching a relative lose a foot and then die from a MRSA infection. If you don't have bare skin with open cuts touching the equipment you should be fine, but it's not about being prissy and visible sweat is not required.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    There used to be a woman at my gym who was pretty vocal with her workouts and self-encouraged as well. Her workouts were pretty sick, it made me laugh but not in a mean way. One time she was some sled pulls and making legit sex noises and an older lady walking on a treadmill kept turning around and being all horrified and judgy. Good stuff.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    good gym
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I recall serif articles regarding studies regarding grunt vs silent lifting. Every one said grunting improves effort and results.
    It is similar to the kiup (spirit yell) in martial arts.

When a grunt turns into a gaping for air sound, move quickly to help get the bar off his throat. :D
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    one of my club buddies (new and learning, a born overthinker), had the habit of self-footnoting all the way through. 'oop, hands are wrong; nope, too much quad; agh; gah; darn it . . . ' etc etc. sign of a person who feels overcoached, iyam.

so we all lined the walls and 'encouraged' by chanting 'no talking! stay tight!' she got out of it, but it's one of my nice memories from this past year.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't think expecting people to clean off the bench after they use it is being prissy. Sitting or lying down on someone elses sweat is gross. Yuck!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Ann262 wrote: »
    I don't think expecting people to clean off the bench after they use it is being prissy. Sitting or lying down on someone elses sweat is gross. Yuck!

Nobody is contesting that you should wipe them down IF you've sweated onto them. That's just common courtesy.

Expecting people to wipe the equipment down just because they sat on it or touched it, though? Without leaving any sweat? THAT is prissy. Do you also expect people to wipe down park benches and bus seats after they've sat on them? Or to wipe down elevator buttons after they've touched them?

One has to wonder how such people manage to survive at all in the real world.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

Nobody is contesting that you should wipe them down IF you've sweated onto them. That's just common courtesy.

Expecting people to wipe the equipment down just because they sat on it or touched it, though? Without leaving any sweat? THAT is prissy. Do you also expect people to wipe down park benches and bus seats after they've sat on them? Or to wipe down elevator buttons after they've touched them?

Well, I have lupus so I take medication which lowers my immunity. A lot of people with compromised immune systems don't survive in the real world, they die. Thanks for asking! Park benches are naturally sterilized by sunshine, which is a great disinfectant. I don't ride buses. And I don't touch things such as door handles or elevator buttons if I can avoid it, have taught myself never to touch my face in public, and scrub my hands when I get home.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Wonder what all the people that are so worried about a gym bench do when they go to pick up a prescription pay with a card and have to touch the stylus/keypad on the credit card machine (that has been handed by the people who just left the loo after a major transaction and haven't washed their hands and/or are coughing up a lung).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Wonder what all the people that are so worried about a gym bench do when they go to pick up a prescription pay with a card and have to touch the stylus/keypad on the credit card machine (that has been handed by the people who just left the loo after a major transaction and haven't washed their hands and/or are coughing up a lung).

Yes, it's everything- door handles, credit cards, the pumps on self serve coffee, gasoline pumps, sink taps. Gym benches are nothing. I tend to use my elbows whenever possible and avoid touching my face. Wiping a dry gym bench is just theater.

Okay, but in my life experience, I've never seen someone wipe down a credit card machine before using it..
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Well, I have lupus so I take medication which lowers my immunity. A lot of people with compromised immune systems don't survive in the real world, they die. Thanks for asking! Park benches are naturally sterilized by sunshine, which is a great disinfectant. I don't ride buses. And I don't touch things such as door handles or elevator buttons if I can avoid it, have taught myself never to touch my face in public, and scrub my hands when I get home.

Maybe a public gym isn’t a good choice if your immune system is so compromised that you are risking constant death. I think that the Hepatitis outbreak in LA kinda contradicts the reliance of sunlight as a protective measure, they are disinfecting quite a few things found in the open - including park benches and sidewalks...

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the weight room next time I go to the gym. I didn't know I was missing all this!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm on immunosuppressants. Never really over worried about gym equipment. Had a towel, wiped things down, that was it. Knew the weights were a disaster for germs, just washed my hands after lifting.

The worst offender for grunting I ever ran into in a gym actually was a guy doing cardio. He used to make sex noises while running on a treadmill. I never quite understood that.

I don't feel death is waiting for me around every corner, I think that's a bit hyperbolic.