• the_prez3
    the_prez3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    the_prez3 wrote: »
    the_prez3 wrote: »

As I said before, an untrained person with significant fat to lose will be able to achieve this for a brief period of time, a previously trained person who has built muscle before and has since detrained, a genetically gifted person, or someone who is on drugs. All of these people can do both, for the rest of us, we can only do one at a time.

And considering the OP is over weight and hasnt consistently trained for 2 years, he is still a beginner.

I agree but that will be a brief time and not a long term thing. I believe I mentioned it twice.

I am not even sure your argument. I am noy necessarily disagreeing with you. I was just posting the actual science.

And as an aside, most people assume a few months for newbie gains, which its actually longer.

But if you look at my advice, we are on the same page.

And even more, it wont matter unless he is going to get regular DEXA scans.

I thought you were disagreeing with me. Your post about actual science was right after mine, I assumed you were. My mistake.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Well in recomp, you will have days where you gain weight and days you lose weight since we never know what is exactly our maintenance calories. Mind you, it can be done, but the progress is very slow compared to the good ol' Cut and Bulk cycles. There are a few instances where you can do both at the same time, but as a few have said:
    1) You're a newbie, therefore you can lose weight and gain muscles at the same time.
    2) Genetic Freaks
    3) People on gear
    4) Former lifters who stopped training and then got back to training (Muscle memory, yes it exists)
    5) Obese People

For the rest, 99% will have hard time gaining muscle and strength on a long period of time at a caloric deficit (Key word here).